1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't get it

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jdonalds, Aug 12, 2017.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    I'm new to TiVo OTA. I set it up to record Shark Tank, which it apparently did last night. It's in My Shows. But when I attempt to watch the show TiVo sends me to an Amazon web site and asks me to pay for the episode.

Am I doing something wrong?

I had Simple.TV which went out of business. So I took advantage of a $100 discount and bought this box. Now I'm not so sure I want to keep it. Simple.tv had it's issues but basically if there was a program available over the air it would record it no questions asked.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Change your recording defaults (and 1P) to "Recordings only" and "Rent or Buy" to "Don't Include".

For Shark Tank, there are no "new" episodes at this time.

Wait! OTA??? What TV channel has CNBC?

Ooops. So there is an ABC show called Shark Tank. That's confusing. :oops:

Shark Tank - Wikipedia

Shark Tank

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    LOL--it's wicked popular and successful. Currently in reruns for the Summer.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Can you check (and provide) the One Pass Options you chose for that show so we can try to help you more?

I suspect that you told it (TiVo) to NOT record Re-Runs and so, it didn't record last nights episode, because it was a 'repeat'.

As soon as you 'add' a One Pass, it is displayed in your My Shows. Even though it hasn't recorded anything. If you then 'go into' that recording (click on it) you can see a bunch of episodes, depending on the 'Options' that are selected ('Red' button). What you are apparently looking at is a 'streaming' show that is (apparently) on Amazon.

-KP

5. atlblaze

atlblaze New Member

Aug 5, 2017
    uhhh it's the same show. It runs FIRST on ABC -- those are reruns on CNBC. Previous seasons in syndication.

As for the OP's question -- perhaps you didn't set it to record reruns? New episodes don't start until October 1. By default, looks like it will show you if episodes are available on other services like amazon, so that's why you are seeing that.

Edited to add: From a fellow former Simple.TVer -- welcome! Which gen device did you have? I had 2 gen 1 devices, bought about 4ish years ago...something like that. 1 broke a while ago, before the service went under. I also was an early adopter of gen 2 but had to return it, it was so bad.

You'll probably notice that this TiVo does not have built-in streaming capabilities like Simple.TV did. And I think the gen 2 had built-in downloading capabilities? this one doesn't have that either. But you can buy a TiVo stream on eBay that should take care of that (yeah TiVo itself disconnected this add-on).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. jdonalds

jdonalds New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    As for my original question I deleted the one pass for Shark Tank and added a new one so I can't look back to see how it was set up. Thanks for the help everyone provided. While the TiVo is quite capable it is a little too persistent which makes it a bit more difficult to use than simple.tv. I'll get used to it I suppose.

Is there a way to preset the TiVo never to include streaming or do I have to do it for each One Pass?

I had the first version of Simple.tv. I paid for one just a month or two before it was in production. It served us well for several years. Although it did not have ad-skipping capability it did allow me to watch either live TV or recorded shows from my PC or smartphone. I'll look into TiVo Stream. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. osu1991

osu1991 Active Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Tivo Central>settings>user preferences>one pass and recording options. Set include to recordings only and rent or buy to don't include. You can also set defaults to New only or new and repeats along with default start and end time extensions.

I would look at a slingbox over a TiVo stream.

jth tv and dfreybur like this.
  8. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    So, provide us the current settings for the current One Pass...they're fairly straight forward. Refer to my instructions above, but go in to the recording and select Modify This One Pass...the options are fairly self-evident...including 'Recordings Only'...

-KP

9. jdonalds

jdonalds New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    I think I've got it now. I'll see how TiVo behaves now.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. dfreybur

dfreybur Member

Jan 27, 2006
    This happens with my wife. She sets season passes to recordings plus streams. Then she goes into the list and clicks the next episode not paying attention to whether it's a recording or a stream. Then she just clicks Play without paying attention to which option she picked in the list. Then she's frustrated that because she selected a for-pay ooption it asked her to confirm her purchase.

Then she watches me drop the streams from the season pass and it works. Or she watches me select the paid subscription service for the stream. And bingo my episode streams.

It took months of repeated walk through for her to get it. Very inconsistent with her usual smart as a laser scalpel approach to stuff. She just expected Tivo to be simple because before we cut the cable it was. In contrast I expected Tivo to give me options so that's how I saw it.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Set the defaults for 1P so when you wife sets them up they are recordings only (or if you want to leave recordings plus streams then set the Rent or buy option to Don't include so she doesn't get the pay options). You can always change the options on any 1P that you create.

Scott

dfreybur, jrtroo and Mikeguy like this.
  12. jdonalds

jdonalds New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    Well I think I have a handle on it now. We use PlayOn for 90% of our video watching. With PlayOn we can download things from our Netflix and Amazon subscriptions, and CBS, ABC, NBC with some restrictions. PlayOn has a better commercial skip capability than TiVo. With PlayOn the videos are recorded in mp4 so they can easily be copied to a smartphone/tablet/laptop. We can view PlanOn videos on our PC or using Roku on our flat screen TV. All around PlayOn is a great cord cutter option. All we bought TiVo for is strictly OTA, and only for things not available from PlayOn. All the rest of the TiVo stuff is just a bother to me. As long as I have it set to recordings only, and not rent or buy, it should work for us.