I didn't think the TiVo Mavrik was ever made, but there's one for sale on eBay

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tarheelblue32, Oct 22, 2019.

1. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I just stumbled across a TiVo Mavrik for sale on eBay, but I thought TiVo never actually made and sold any of these. Is this some sort of prototype? It seems strange to me that a prototype would be in what appears to be a retail box. Any thoughts, @davezatz?

Mavrik Free TV Now Wireless TCD84A000 - AD | eBay

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    LoadStar likes this.
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Huh. That should be Tivo property.

TSN on the side, @TiVo_Ted

Attached Files:

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's another one:
    Mavrik Free TV Now Wireless TCD84A000 | eBay

TiVo must have gotten a lot closer to retail with these than may have been previously thought. I wonder just how much inventory they had to scrap when they ditched the project.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I suspect that the cloud storage needed to record shows will not be accessible.

Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  5. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Which leads to the question of what these boxes would actually do if you bought them. Could a USB hard drive be attached to them for recordings? Would TiVo allow you to activate them onto your account so you could at least use them with Minis for live TV? Otherwise, it seems they would be completely useless. And did TiVo give/sell these boxes to people who are now selling them on eBay or are they stolen property? I could imagine it's possible that TiVo sold off whatever stock they had to scrappers/recyclers who in turn decided to see if anyone would buy them on eBay.

It would be great if @TiVo_Ted would chime in and answer some of these questions, but I doubt anyone from TiVo will even admit that the TiVo Mavrik ever existed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  6. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    They might have some special service code on them that grants them full functionality. They might work for live TV. I wouldn't call Tivo to add them to an account because they might cancel the service. Maybe they belonged to an executive who gave them to his kids who in turn sold them.

7. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Well according to the listings they are "new" which means you might be able to activate them on an account online without calling TiVo.

8. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    And it looks like someone has bought one of them. Maybe whoever bought it will report back to us here and let us know if it actually does anything interesting once they receive it.

9. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Maybe they are actually going to release it?

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I tried to buy the other for $20 plus $8 shipping = not worth much more, because I guarantee it's unusable. He didn't take the offer.

11. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Looks like this is a headless device. If it doesn't have service, I don't think you could use the Tivo mobile app with it.

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It's honestly probably not worth anything other than to some sort of TiVo collector that wants to own every piece of hardware that TiVo has ever made just to have a complete collection.

ufo4sale and dishrich like this.
  13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Some people say no to Hydra, I say no to eBay. :)

14. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    The photo in the eBay ad had a readable TSN so I tried to add it to my account..

Activate device screen immediately took me to a mavrik.tivo page that didn’t exist.

Mikeguy and shwru980r like this.