I can't believe I wanted to go back to TE4

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaj2276, Jul 14, 2020.

1. jaj2276

jaj2276 Member

Dec 25, 2007

Advertisements

Roamio Plus. Been with Tivo since series 1. Loved TE3, the good guide, responsiveness, etc. Went to TE4 when it came out, I don't mind change. Annoyed with grid guide only but we often don't find ourselves looking to the guide to find something to watch. Not as responsive but not unusable.

The ads before recordings were awful but a quick press right made it less bad. Then we started experiencing an issue where we selected a recording, we'd skip the ad, the show would start and pause, and then shove us back out to live tv. We'd select the recording again and it would start playing. Every single recording.

So I went back to TE3 (luckily we don't have a lot of recordings). First, TE3 seemed very basic. I was surprised at how unpolished I thought the TE3 UI was when before TE4 existed, I didn't think that at all. Then I realized that our Tivo LUX remote doesn't work with TE3 in RF/Bluetooth mode. Then I realized that the Auto Skip function which we use so often doesn't work in TE3 (you have to press D/Channel UP). Then I realized that the Auto Play of the next episode doesn't work in TE3 (we have smaller kids who love to binge watch wild kratts).

So we made the conscious decision to abandon TE3 forever. Crazy times.

2. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I can't help you with the polish feeling, but for Wild krats, just select the folder and press play instead of an episode and it'll play all episodes in order. We use it on TE3 all the time. We just press D to skip commercials.

Dan Cour likes this.
  3. jaj2276

jaj2276 Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Good to know, although I'd still have the issue that many times the first X number of episodes within the folder (on whatever sort option) don't want to be watched. Tough times I know.

I mentioned the D/Channel UP to skip in my original posting, but of course that's not auto skip. I agree that actively watching the program and pressing Channel Up/D isn't much different then having the Tivo do it for you but when the show is on in the background (or when falling asleep), having it skip thru the commercials automagically ended up being too much to overcome to remain on TE3.

4. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    You care that much about commercials if it's just background or while you're falling asleep?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

5. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004

Advertisements

I almost said the same thing, but then Lovely Wife reminded me that commercials are at volume 100000 where the shows are usually at volume -10. I guess I see a benefit here, but not enough for me to switch to Hydra and lose all my Tivo Desktop recordings (10+tb at this point...)

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, they aren't. That's a common misconception. The AVERAGE volume of commercials is higher than that of the program, but the maximum volume isn't any louder.. e.g. gunshots or an explosion will be just as loud.

7. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    It may be a misconception, but when I'm watching a show at volume 10 and a commercial comes on (especially on CBS, NBC) I have to turn it down to volume 8 to keep from bouncing my eyeballs off the screen. So ok, it's not a real thing. But the fake thing makes me react to it every time so to me it's real. ::shrug::

blackngold75 and ClayKY like this.
  8. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Thought that wasn't the case anymore. Thought the fcc cracked down on that a few years ago.

9. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter !

10. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    They passed some law about it, but I never noticed a difference. I read on a forum once that they cut the sound down on shows to "increase the drama" and commercials are full blast because they want to build excitement, so the discrepancy is more pronounced. All I know is it's annoying. It would be nice if my Tivo had audio normalization.

11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

OMG... Please load the guns and hide!!!!!!!

The TiVo Kool-Aid drinking TE3 Gestapo will be coming for you!!!!!

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That ruling was for broadcast only, like many FCC rulings it doesn't apply to cable or streaming products.

13. jaj2276

jaj2276 Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Yes, I can easily fall asleep to Dateline (lit's very soothing) and am probably asleep 25 mins in. However if a commercial comes on, especially an annoying commercial, it resets my glide in to sleep.

14. gigaquad

Oct 25, 2004
    Nope. Remember those 10TB of movies/shows I have stored? Doesn't work with Hydra. If Tivo did this, I'd probably build a computer based tivo under my credenza and wire it up to the TV, then leave Tivo forever. It's just not worth it to lose access to my library, especially with kids.

We have four kids with a very wide age range so we recorded (with our S2 Tivos) old cartoons that our oldest liked and placed them in a "age 2-4" folder. Then we saved movies and recordings from her age 4-6, 8-10, and 10-12. Then we have folders full of good tween movies for 13, more adult movies for 14, and then finally at 15 we have a scale of movies that cover violence, um..adult behavior..., and horror, each with their own folder so we can gauge and introduce these genres to our 15 year olds to prepare them for any show they might encounter and let them see how they like (and their tolerances) for different types of films they'll see with friends.

This makes for a fun journey for the kids as they age up to new folders and we get to re-live great memories with them watching old (1990s) movies and shows all the way up to the new stuff.

Yeah, without Tivo Desktop access we'd have no real reason to keep Tivo around. I can spend a few hundred bucks and set up a computer to record and pause live shows any time, but just putting a stable box on the shelf and having it work without any involvement from me? With guide data and scheduling? and it plays my home movies & recordings? That's why we have a Tivo.

This turned into a book and may not even be readable since I've been up for 24 hours and my bed is calling, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves Tivo as it is on TE3. I don't see losing features as an "upgrade".

To each his own, i guess. :)

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have no idea why you chose to reply to me with that, it has nothing to do with my comment about the FCC

16. jaj2276

jaj2276 Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Ah ya, meant to respond to the post right above yours, sorry about that. Didn't realize my response could be such a personal affront to you. It's ok, just a message board.

gigaquad likes this.
  17. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not an affront, but if there had been something you'd been meaning to bring up it was lost, that's all

18. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Ahh... That figures. I'm OTA, so it does apply to me. And yet another reason I don't care for the cable companies.

gigaquad likes this.
  19. Dan Cour

Dan Cour New Member TCF Club

Jul 16, 2020
    Thanks for that tip, dbpaddler.