I came home yesterday to a bolt that wouldn't respond, please help.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SeaBat_B, Nov 2, 2019.

1. SeaBat_B

SeaBat_B New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I originally posted this to the bolt forum yesterday, I think that's the wrong group so I apologized and came over here.

I joined here years ago and come here to read what's happening with Tivo and well today I need to actually ask for advice.
    The story

I got a Bolt+ from 2016 I've had only a few minor problems with, until today. When I came home today the Bolt was non-responsive, nothing, no lights, no channels, no picture.
    We lost power this morning before I had to go to the Dr's so I turned off all the UPS before I was about to leave. But before I did power came back on so I turned the UPS back on and left. I have 2 bolts on this UPS and the other is fine.

The first thing I did was to check all the cables, nothing. Next was to unplug for ten minutes, nothing.
    Then I swapped out the power supply (got extras), nothing. I unplugged all the cables and plugged just the power supply I can hear the fan and the hard drive spinning up, but that's it.
    Right now I'm going to let it sit over night and see what happens. This is the primary unit I've been using for years.
    I've let it sit over night and plugged it in this morning, no response other than a red light blink when I plug it in.

My questions are
    1 if the units dead but the hard drive is good can I recover the shows. It's really gonna #&$* if I lose all the recordings.
    2 If the hard drive is dead how do I tell, (no flashing four lights at boot).
    3 Can I run a test (using windows 10) on the Hard Drive using a USB enclosure.
    4 Is weaknees my best option if the hard drive is still good and see if they can recover the shows (price?).

I've got more questions but I don't know where to start.

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The first thing I would try was shutting down the working Bolt, and then use its power supply on the non-working unit and see if it boots up then.

3. SeaBat_B

SeaBat_B New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I have two other working Bolt power supplies and tried them and the working ones power supply, no response. Thank you.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    If you hear the fan the power is working, so it's something else. Check the HDMI.

5. SeaBat_B

SeaBat_B New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    The Fan is working and the hard drive is powering up. The rest of the Tivo is nothing, no response.
    Right now I'm trying to clone the hard drive to a WD 4Tb Purple that I haven't used.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Do any of the front lights come on during the boot process?

7. SeaBat_B

SeaBat_B New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I get a red blink as soon as I plug in the power supply then it goes out and nothing.

I cloned the 3tb wd blue drive yesterday to wd 4tb purple regular size that I never got around to using and I’m gonna try swapping it to see if I get any response.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. SeaBat_B

SeaBat_B New Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Well the Cables I ordered from amazon that let me hook up my USB enclosure to the Bolt arrived. I hooked up the data cable direct to the bolt and used the enclosure for power using an adapter to jump from the enclosures hard drive connector power to the hard drive...

SURPRISE! It booted up and promptly told me it was ready to be set up, I'd forgotten to add the cable card. Added the cable card and it booted up fine. Then I checked to see if I had a live video picture, all good. Next I connected to Tivo network to make sure everything else was working good.
    After a 28 minute loading it finished and all is right, hoping and praying.

I think I'm going to keep the 4 tb WD purple drive instead of putting the original 3 tb WD blue from 2016. I'll expand the drive later but I'm not really worried about that. Thank you for the help.

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.