"I bet you" mojo network marked for auto-deleting with "red flag"

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Czachorski, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Jun 6, 2008 #1 of 16
    Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...

Advertisements

I don't see any other discussion on this after doing a search and scanning the threads. We have been recording a show called "I bet you" with a couple of pro poker players who make bets on doing wild things. Every time it gets recorded, it is marked with a red waving flag in the now playing list with a message that the recording will automatically be deleted JUST 2 HOURS AFTER IT AIRED!!! Is this some piss-poor implementation of macrovision or something?

First of all, the premise that I have lost control of my Tivo and someone else can decide when to delete my recordings really pissed me off. It pissed me off at Tivo, the copyright holder AND the network. Secondly, the fact that they delete them only 2 hours after the original airing is 100% absolutely ridiculous. Maybe if it was 2 days or a week - but 2 hours???!!??? Finally, the whole thing is so annoying, and so limiting, THAT I WILL NEVER EVER WATCH THAT SHOW OR ANY SHOW THAT IMPLEMENTS A SIMILAR SCHEME. If this is the direction content owners and distributors are going to take things, they will find themselves out of business, with all my viewing migrating somewhere else.

Yes, I am pissed. I am surprised there is not more ranting about this around here. Has anyone else experience this?

2. Jun 6, 2008 #2 of 16
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's because the channel has a CCI=0x03 copy protection bit set. Your cable company is to blame as that flag should only be used for PPV & VOD channels. You can go to Diagnostics page to get information on your currently tuned channels and to see the CCI setting. Tivo is only allowed to keep such copy protected shows recorded for up to 90 minutes. Do a forum search for "CCI" for more details and for threads where others have run into this issue and eventually got the cable company to fix the problem in some cases.
    (You didn't mention you have an S3 or Tivo HD but I'm assuming that's the case. If you have S2 or older model then this is analog copy protection that is being applied but the same principles apply)

3. Jun 6, 2008 #3 of 16
    Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    Yes, Sorry - Tivo HD. Thanks for the heads up. I will feel a lot better about this if it is an error, rather than a deliberate setting. I had not heard of CCI before. I'll go check it out.

4. Jun 6, 2008 #4 of 16
    Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    ok, it was a little hard to find, but under 'message and settings' and then -----> 'account and system information' and then ------> 'Diagnostics' I found the page with all of the information on the channel. Indeed the channel has a CCI setting of 0x03. So should I contact Comcast to let them know of this? It is indeed an error then, right?

5. Jun 6, 2008 #5 of 16
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME

Advertisements

Yes and yes - 0x03 is reserved for VOD and PPV.

6. Jun 6, 2008 #6 of 16
    Czachorski

Czachorski New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Ypsilanti,...
    Cool, thanks - I feel a lot better now. It's too hot today in Michigan to be mad.

:)

7. Jun 6, 2008 #7 of 16
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Unfortunately if you want to stay happy then I suggest you don't call the cable company today. It may take you a while to find the right person in customer support who even knows what CCI is let alone finding the right person that can actually implement the fix... I would say a few weeks before it's fixed if you're lucky.

8. Jun 6, 2008 #8 of 16
    fishboyjr

fishboyjr New Member

Nov 20, 2007
    moyekj, I am in Michigan and have the same problem. All content on Mojo from Comcast is set to 0x03. Too lazy to get them to fix the problem.

9. Jun 6, 2008 #9 of 16
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I'd post the FCC reg that says "Thou shalt not" do that, but I'm too laxy. :D

10. pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    There was a time when everything was red flagged on Mojo. It took a few days but I found a supervisor who put me in touch with headend. They fixed it. Took about a day once I reached them.

11. bguzik

bguzik Barry R. Guzik

Jan 6, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    I've had (still have) this same problem. I'm on Comcast which was a former Adelphia system, and apparently this is how Adelphia had it set, and it's never been fixed on Mojo.

Oh well...If this CCI byte situation is any indication as to what content providers can expect if they actually CHOOSE to implement this...well, we just don't watch Mojo at the moment. Their loss, not mine... Too many other channels to choose from...

Barry

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    But you should *tell* them this.

13. WhoCaresWhoIAm

WhoCaresWhoIAm New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Barry, check again. This is fixed in your area. Make sure when you see something like this that you call it in......

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Even though I posted in this thread before, I didn't realize that Tivos could get this (I must not have read it carefully before). I love these two guys, but have never been interested enough to watch it on the web. Can you get ALL episodes or is it a typical podcast where only a few are listed?

(I'll have to hook my Tivos up to a bridging wireless router..)

oh wait.. I guess this is a real channel, not a free download (I see you can buy them via itunes too).. though the DVD of the first season is available from netflix.

15. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The problem for me is Comcast is deleting Mojo next month.

I'm glad I caught all of the episodes on my season pass of "Start Up Junkies."

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh