I believe the future looks very bright for TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Rebate_King, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1 of 135
    Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004

Advertisements

Remember the big DirectTV subscriber numbers that TiVo would post each quarter? Image in 1-2 years from now, ComcastTiVo's are available for rental to all 20 Millions plus users (I am not saying that all of them will get one. But I can see some big numbers being posted each quarter for TiVo for comcast users.

Now that DirectTV has been bought out, and the TiVo CEO is saying that he sees positive changes with the new owners. Imagine big sub numbers being posted each month from DirectTV and Comcast. Oh and don't forget COX cable.

Sorry for the rambling. I am just excited for TiVo and its future.

2. Jun 8, 2007 #2 of 135
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I've always meant to look into the impacts of the Tivo/DirecTV contract running out on DirecTV's ability to do DVR.

Currently (under the extended contract) Tivo agrees not to sue DirecTV for its use of Tivo's patents. But once the contract expires?

Seems to me DirecTivo has a lot to gain by moving back to Tivo, long, long-term. DirecTivo receivers were a wonderful example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

3. Jun 8, 2007 #3 of 135
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The TiVo employees who post here reported a lot of giddy people at TiVo when the Comcast contract was done and announced. Their posts were pretty optimistic. I have noticed a severe drop off in the number of TiVo is dead threads. If the Echostar patent suit is finally wrapped up in TiVo's favor then I think all the nails are out of the coffin ;).

4. Jun 8, 2007 #4 of 135
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    While on the subject of the employees, before this battle is won it would be good to take note of their endurance and perseverence.

It shows great character. As a Tivo user, and also professionally as someone who has worked on similar engineering projects, I'd personally like to take this opportunity to thank them and offer my most sincere compliments for sweating all the details needed to bring about this revolution in the way people think about video and consumer electronics.

5. Jun 8, 2007 #5 of 135
    riddick21

riddick21 New Member

Dec 11, 2006

Advertisements

Honestly I never understood the people who say TiVo is doomed. They obviously have a great product and I really don't know how a company with such a great product could possibly go out of business. Someone would buy them before that happened but that probably wont even need to happen given all the good things that are happening for them lately (knock on wood). No other company compares when it comes to media in the living room. As much as I love Apple I think the Apple TV is crap.

6. Jun 9, 2007 #6 of 135
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    I am very excited to see what the next 1-2 years has in store for TiVo. Especially in terms of the thing we can't talk about here on TCF ;)

7. Jun 9, 2007 #7 of 135
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's because they've only had two profitable quarters (one barely profitable long ago and one that was much better recently). The rest of the time they've lost money, sometimes MASSIVE amounts. Losing money almost every quarter means they've got the potential to run out of it.

Their subscriber growth has really slowed too and they've lost DirecTV (for now) as a source of new net subscriptions.

If they go under, I do hope someone buys them out and keeps the service going at least for existing customers.

8. Jun 9, 2007 #8 of 135
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    +1 :up:

9. Jun 9, 2007 #9 of 135
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agreed. Amazon.com is an excellent example of a good idea that lost millions of dollars for years before becoming profitable. It can be done and TiVo is proving that. They have a solid product and their future should be bright if they stay focused on their core strengths and continue to grow the business. :)

10. Jun 9, 2007 #10 of 135
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    So have I missed an announcement of the pricing for the Comcast-Tivo? It is supposed to be an additional fee on top of the normal DVR fee Comcast charges right? I've always thought one of the reasons the DirecTiVo did so well was that it was priced so low for what you got that you pretty much had to be crazy to be a DirecTV subscriber and not get it. Not sure that that is going to be the case with Tivo on Comcast...but I hope I'm wrong.

-Dylan

11. Jun 9, 2007 #11 of 135
    Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    The Comcast and Cox deal is what is what going to help TiVo, but it will not do any good if Comcast does not activate the eSATA port on the Motorola boxes. So all TiVo fans in Boston better scream at Comcast to activate the port. The eSATA port on the SA boxes use by Cox are enable by default, so it going to be interesting to see how the TiVo service for the SA boxes is going to handle this. Because if it turn off the port, it good buy TiVo.

12. Jun 9, 2007 #12 of 135
    shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    If you look at the failure rates for businesses, most are profitable but have cash flow issues. Tivo is and has been sitting on quite a bit of cash, so they won't be going anywhere for a while. Doomed in the future, possibly, but in the short term, cash is king and Tivo looks to be fine on the cash front.

We are walking pretty close to the stock talk line, though, so we better watch it...

13. Jun 9, 2007 #13 of 135
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Is that really a dealbreaker for regular subscribers? I kinda doubt it.

14. Jun 10, 2007 #14 of 135
    TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Wouldn't it be amazing if TiVo WASN'T bought out if it ran into financial difficulties? Even though ReplayTV as a standalone DVR essentially is history no ReplayTV user has lost service.

But the possibility of TiVo going under is getting more and more remote. It appears that TiVo has actually turned that corner.

15. Jun 10, 2007 #15 of 135
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The Directv DVR fee is still the best out there. $5.99 a month for unlimited DVR's.

Look at it this way: You have 6 Directv/Tivo units. You pay $5.99 a Month for service to all of them!!!

Tivo cannot compete against that. And I doubt very much any of the Cable companies can to.

I do know that our local company (Name left out :D) charges $10 a Month fee for each of their DVR's.

16. Jun 10, 2007 #16 of 135
    AFP1

AFP1 AFP1

Feb 12, 2007
    Fla.

That excitement may be a little premature. First, they will never get every Subscriber from any Service. I don't know the percentage of Satelite users that also Rent Tivos from DirecTV or the other if offerred, but I doubt it is more than 25% at best. Plus Cable customers are the same. I may be very high saying 25%, but I doubt I am off by far if not. I feel many decline once they realize the FREE DVR Offer, is not really Free, because they need to pay Monthly Service. But why is it a lot less than we pay? $5.95mo last time I looked! That is even less than the 3Yr. Prepaid price! Then after the "Special" expires, what does it cost then?? I don't have satelite, so I don't have that figure.
    We are used to having Tivo, and it feels like we can't live W/O it! *Unless it becomes Cost prohibitive! That is a big IF! Although it seems I can't live W/O it, if times got hard for myself, I know that would be 1st to go. Then Cable, Then Eating!
    Plus again you need to remember, Satelite is not creating New Customers. It is only eating away at existing Cable Customers, who have had the oppty. to get a DVR for quite some time now, but a friend of mine who installs for Comcast told me that very few installations include a DVR or HD Tuner. Mostly as he said, people over 50 are not going for it. Face it, the Economy sucks! What you Pay for Cable and Tivo each Month, is now being doubled just by adding the additional cost of Gas alone! Plus, Every Man, Woman and Child in the US today, Averages out to being $8,000.00 in Debt, from Credit Cards, Mortgages, Refi's etc. So we are not in as great a shape as many may think!

17. Jun 10, 2007 #17 of 135
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    heck if TiVo can score 10% of comcast subs...that would equate to an additional 2,000,000 subs for TiVo.

18. Jun 10, 2007 #18 of 135
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Per http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070509/20070509005529.html?.v=1, DirecTV had 16.19 million subscribers in the US as of March 31, 2007, up from 15.39 million as of March 31, 2006.

Per http://biz.yahoo.com/e/070530/tivo8-k.html, TiVo had 2.615 milion DirecTV (DirecTiVo) subscribers as of April 30, 2007 down from 2.875 million as of April 30, 2006.

So, it went from 18.6% of DirecTV subscribers down to 16.1%.

19. Jun 10, 2007 #19 of 135
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Look at the numbers:

Directv Customers: 16.19 Million. (An increase from 2006)
    Directv/Tivo Customers: 2.615 Million. (A decrease from 2006)

Have you thought that the decrease was due to the fact that the Directv/Tivo units are getting older now, and many are dying. Customers simply replce them with Directv units.

All your information shows is that Directv is getting more customers, and the Directv/Tivo units are slowly dying away as they get older. People switch out to Directv units.

Now, if Directv and Tivo get another deal going (And we all hope for this) then the Directv/Tivo numbers will go up not down.

20. Jun 10, 2007 #20 of 135
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It also doesn't help that DirecTV isn't selling any more DirecTiVos and seems to have none left in stock. Unless DirecTV and TiVo have another deal, the only time there can be increases is from DirecTiVos left in the channel, idle/dormant units being reactivated and the used market.

Having virtually no supply, people having to resort to EBay, Craig's list, etc. doesn't make for a retail presence. That along w/high def DirecTiVos not supporting MPEG-4 isn't conducive to DirecTiVo subscriber growth.