I believe my tuner has failed - opinions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by e lo, Jul 23, 2006.

1. e lo

e lo New Member

May 1, 2005

Advertisements

Hi, all,

Recently my series 2 TiVo has begun acting strangely.

Everything seems to be working properly (I see all the apropriate TiVo menu screens and hear the system sounds), but I do not see any video or hear any audio when watching Live TV, nor is any video or audo recorded shen scheduled programs are recorded.

I know somebody else had a similar problem, and the recommendation was that he try to record through the RCA input jacks. I'd try this, but I don't know how!

Any advice would be quite welcome.

Thanks,

Evan.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What's the source for this TiVo? How exactly do you have it connected?

You can only record via the RCA jacks if you aren't using a cable box.
    Your statement implies that you are using either a cable box or sat receiver.

3. Colbyt

Colbyt Member

Jul 6, 2006

You can test the system by using the RCA jacks and connecting the tivo to a vcr or other device that offers audio and video out. Actually I think some of the older dish and cable equipment offered this option.

If this records and plays then you know it is not a hard drive problem and is on the tuner portion.

4. e lo

e lo New Member

May 1, 2005
    Source for this TiVo is cable with no box. Connection is Cable signal --> TiVo --> TV via RCA outputs.

Colbyt, that's exactly what I was trying to do to diagnose the problem. Any advice as to how to do that? Not the physical connection betwen the devices, of course, but how to tell TiVo to record, say input from VHS via the RCA jacks? I can't seem to find how to tell it to do that.

I should probably also mention that none of my setup had changed prior to emergence of the problem, and TiVo has been working happily in its current location for over a year.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

An internal cable could have come loose in the move. Pop the cover off and check.