"I am the Night" - New limited series on TNT (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Watched this last night. It was...ok, but it's the first episode.

2. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

3. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Lots of not so positive reviews. But we'll watch it because I'm a sucker for Black Dahlia.

I got their for a loop so maybe I want there only one. When he was asked to go to the morgue to take pictures of the cut up victim I thought that was the Black Dahlia. But of course the story takes place in 1965, the Black Dahlia was in 1947.

I hope they keep to the facts. It remains an unsolved murder so they can spin any plausible explanation, I just hope they don't bend the facts to for their narrative.

4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The one review I read, just to see what this was about, was very lukewarm (NYT). I'm in because these kinds of shows I rarely judge by the pilot where they are mostly introducing us to the characters and plot.

5. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida

Advertisements

I love India Eisley, she is poised to be a breakout star

justen_m and MikeCC like this.
  6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Olivia Hussey's daughter! Which surprised me, but I guess she was only in her early 40s when India was born. I thought she was older than that, but she was only a teenager herself when she did Romeo & Juliet, and India is a few years older than I would have guessed.

7. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I did not realize she had a British accent until recently. Every role she has ever played the past 10 years was an American

8. Feb 1, 2019 #8 of 17
    tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    We really enjoyed the first episode. But I looked up some of the history and I think it's going to take a big turn from what we thought it was about.

9. Feb 2, 2019 #9 of 17
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    In surprised you're watching this given that you had to "loook up" the history on this. I'm only watching this because of the Black Dahlia connection. The reviews have not been kind but I'm a sucker for old cold cases like this.

My theory is that when he was with the LA Times he was involved in the Black Dahlia case and dug too far (some stories don't want to be told).

In the real world Steve Hodel (son of George Hodel) wrote a book implicating his father as the killer. I wonder if on this again they'll use the granddaughter for a similar storyline

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had no idea of the history of the case either. Why is that so unusual? The case is more than 70 years old! I'm watching because it seems like it could be a good murder mystery which I enjoy.

sharkster likes this.
  11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm intrigued. About this Black Dahlia case I know pretty much nothing, well, near as I can recollect. I think it's more about my failing memory than about the case because it seems very familiar, although I don't recall any details.

12. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    I liked the first episode ok, but the second not so much. Couldn't Chris Pine get rid of the frosted tips and have a more believable early 60's hairstyle!? It's so distracting in addition to some of his bad acting. The girl is good. Had no idea she was Olivia Hussey's daughter. Is she actually biracial?

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope.

Of course, as we recently learned, neither is her character...

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll give it one more, maybe, but I really am not into the series. Seems like a lot of fluff around a plot that theoretically could be interesting.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, what really drew me was the Black Dahlia angle, which so far is almost completely absent.

16. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm out after two. The Black Dahlia murder is not enough for me.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched about 15 minutes of S3, and just deleted it and the SP. I just found myself doing some other things and not paying attention. Obviously I just wasn't interested enough.