I am getting 2 TiVo HD's, any monthly discount on the 2nd one?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Marat, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Marat

Marat TiVoholic

Aug 22, 2004
    Daly City, CA
    After being without a Tivo (& Tivo Community) for almost 2 years i have finally decided to get one, the new HD unit sounds like a great buy for what it offers, and all of the reviews i have read so far are all positive, the only con i read so far is that the Tivo has a "sluggish UI" which has always been a case for some people, it looks fine to me :)

I will be getting 2 of the new HD Tivo's and was woundering if TiVo still offers monthly discount on the 2nd Tivo?

This is something Tivo did when i used to have a Tivo few years back, but now with new pricing and contracts i am not sure if they still do and how it works.

For the first HD TiVo i will do a 3 year commitment and pay $12.95 a month, what will the second TiVo cost me a month with the same commitment?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    yes. $6 off the second TiVo.

3. Marat

Marat TiVoholic

Aug 22, 2004
    Daly City, CA
    whoa, that was a quick reply :)

So altogether with a 3 year contract i should be paying about $19 a month, right?

I guess what i am asking here is if Tivo has any other fees?

4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I think you only get the discount if you're paying by the month for both units. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wong (as they should) but I believe if you have a 3-year or any pre-paid plan then the discount does not apply to any additional Tivos. You'd be better off getting the 3-year plan on both units since your cost per month for both units would total $18.62, which is cheaper than the monthly discount for a 2nd unit when paying full price ($12.95) for a 3-year commitment. Here's the link for the Tivo service plans so I'll let you do any additional math:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/index.html?WT.ac=HPTkovr_support

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Any TiVo with monthly, annual, prepaid or lifetime service is a qualifying TiVo unit. This will allow you to receive the multi-service discount on other TiVo units on your account, when applicable.

The multi-service discount can only be applied to TiVo units being paid monthly. Annual or prepaid plans don't qualify for the multi-service discount.

So, for example, you can purchase your first unit with a 3-year prepaid plan (effectively like paying $8.31 a month for the first unit) and then purchase your second unit with a 3-year commitment monthly plan and the second unit will cost you only $6.95 per month based on pricing in effect right now.

Or, as you say you want to do, you can purchase your first unit with a 3-year commitment monthly plan and then purchase your second unit with the same plan and the second unit will cost you only $6.95 per month based on the pricing in effect right now.

All this is almost-clearly explained at http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html.

6. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Not sure if you are factoring this in or not, but you'll also have the cable crads fees on each. For some it is negligible; for others it can be $5 or more dollars per card.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The 3 year prepaid plan is the best option. That's what I did. Then you do a 3 year commitment on any other boxes to get the monthly fee of only $6.95. The only thing better would be to have lifetime service.

8. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    More like $20. Big diff. :p

You could program recordings from your Verizon cell phone for $1.99, but most seem to think that's rediculous.

9. URPREY

URPREY Closet TiVo User

Sep 12, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I just use my Slingbox + Windows Mobile phone to do it for free :D

10. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    You are a Che@p Chicken B@$t@rd bent on TiVo's destruction.