I am desperate here(Hydra)-- Can I just move my old hard drive to my new TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lovethenewname, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jun 6, 2018 #1 of 17
    lovethenewname

lovethenewname New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    My TiVo Roamio OTA stopped outputting an HDMI signal, and TiVo sent me a replacement TiVo Roamio OTA. Same model, same everything, except with the new Hydra interface. And I really dislike it.

I tried following the instructions where you go to the screen to re-run setup and do the two thumbs down (instead of three) and the two rewind presses, and that didn't work, and I tried restarting my TiVo twice and forcing a connection twice, and then re-doing the instructions with the two thumbs down and the two rewind presses. I must have done the two thumbs down and two rewind presses a dozen times. I contacted TiVo through chat, and two TiVo CSRs told me the same instructions through chat. The first one disconnected before letting me respond whether it had worked(hung up on me), and the second one finally told me to call in when it didn't work. I called TiVo support, and the TiVo rep again guided me to unplug and restart the system and do the two thumbs down and the two rewind presses. She stayed with me on the phone while I was doing it, and the screen just sat there showing two thumbs down and never displaying anything about reverting to the old TiVo software.

The TiVo rep seemed really perplexed as to why this didn't work. She went away for a few minutes and then came back and basically told me this is a known issue and there's nothing she could do, but gave me a ticket number and said TiVo is working on it.

I have recordings and OnePasses on my old TiVo and I wanted to copy them over to the new TiVo. I paid for them to pre-ship the new TiVo to me before I ship the old one back, and while I get the impression that I can do that, then I couldn't downgrade the new TiVo away from Hydra. I don't want to keep the old TiVo here one moment longer than I have to and not receive the ~$450 refund for returning the old TiVo. I want to package up the old TiVo and send it back to TiVo ASAP. TiVo has really put me in a bad situation here.

I was wondering: I am a computer systems engineer, and I have had A+ certification for almost 20 years. I have built my own computers from scratch(including recently) and have performed hardware mods on computers, and regularly use Linux and can easily swap identical hard drives in two computers without damaging anything. I have all of the different sizes of screwdrivers for everything from flathead, three-point, square, philips, pentalobe, hex, and security hex. Heck, years ago I had customized the software and upgraded the storage capacity on a DirecTiVo(R.I.P.) and I used to work in a TiVo call center.

Is it possible to just take the old hard drive out of the old TiVo and put it into the new one? They're both the same model. Or, alternatively, is there anything I can do to force the new machine to downgrade to the old TiVo experience?

2. Jun 6, 2018 #2 of 17
  3. Jun 6, 2018 #3 of 17
    lovethenewname

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah, I did that several times. That page was the first place I went when I found out the new TiVo had the hydra interface. I went to the correct screen, and even followed with a CSR in real-time over the phone. At the time I had run through the steps several times already, and the second time we ran through the steps I was able to tell her the steps before she was able to give them.

Nothing ever appeared asking me if I wanted to roll back or downgrade, and I tried hitting the Select button despite the lack of said question appearing. It just sits there showing two thumbs down.

4. Jun 7, 2018 #4 of 17
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The remote has to be in 'IR Mode" to trigger the TE3 install.

If you setup the new TiVo, you probably would be able to transfer most of your shows off of the old TiVo to it...

-KP

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. Jun 7, 2018 #5 of 17
    lovethenewname

Feb 27, 2018
    I have two remotes(one that came with the old Roamio OTA and one that came with my VOX Mini). They are different and have different button layouts. It seems that the one from the Mini responds better, if that makes sense(and both have new batteries). But the new one doesn't have a "select" button, just "OK"(although the TiVos seem to respond the same to that button as to the "select" button on the older remote, and the buttons are in the same place). I have tried with both remotes. I made sure using your instructions that they are both in IR mode. When I hit the thumbs down I get a negative sound both times, and then when I hit the rewind button I get a positive chime like the TiVo understood what I am trying to do, but still nothing appears asking me if I want to downgrade/revert. And then when I press the "OK" button, it just stays at the screen with two thumbs down despite having played the positive chime.

I even tried using the newer remote to get to the point when I have the positive chime, and then using the older remote to hit the "select" button(since that is following the instructions literally). Still the new TiVo sits with two thumbs down and the screen does not change.

(And I did believe that I would be able to transfer shows. My concern with that is that I can't transfer them and then downgrade and also keep my shows, but I am under a time constraint to return my old TiVo, or I will not get refunded the ~$450 they charged me for having the new TiVo shipped as a replacement. I would have to choose between losing my shows or losing $450.)

6. Jun 7, 2018 #6 of 17
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Probably power cycle the TiVo and try again.

Make sure to follow the directions exactly.

It will work.

-KP

7. Jun 7, 2018 #7 of 17
    lovethenewname

Feb 27, 2018
    I just did, again.

I must have power cycled this thing ten times by now, and tried the same procedure with two different remotes. I even did so twice following the instructions as they were given to me by a TiVo rep.

Doesn't the fact that I'm hearing a positive chime when I'm hitting the rewind button indicate that I am following the instructions exactly? I work as a systems engineer, so I do understand some things about UX design. It seems like the sounds are a confirmation that I've followed the special steps to get the hidden option, but there's no corresponding interface element being presented.

It's just the negative sound twice, each time I hit thumbs down. And then when I hit rewind twice it makes a chime sound like it accepted the input. But nothing is presented. And then if I hit select it makes a negative sound, like "No, that's not allowed."

I feel like I need to film a video of myself doing this and link to it here to demonstrate. It's not like I'm not getting any response. I am getting a chime like the TiVo accepted my input and should be presenting me the revert option now, but it just isn't.

8. Jun 7, 2018 #8 of 17
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    The select/OK button is like the enter/return button on a keyboard...it's the exact same key. My understanding is there is an (acknowledged) issue on TiVo's end currently preventing the downgrade (mentioned in the downgrade thread AND in your OP).

As for the live swap, while I wouldn't be surprised if a front line agent drooled on itself while asking you "huh?", I'm quite certain speaking to a supervisor, explaining that you need to install TE3 before you can send it back but the known issue is preventing that, would result in a bit of extra time to do so.

Worst case scenario, if you truly feel TiVo is going to jerk you around on this (I disagree), send the new one back and initiate a replacement after the error is fixed.

9. Jun 7, 2018 #9 of 17
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you transfer the shows from your old TiVo to a PC while waiting to get the downgrade issue resolved (you can save the 1P with kmttg as well)?

Scott

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been verified that downgrade on a Mini with Hydra is broken. It's possible that this may be your problem. However I don't have a solution. A new hard drive will cause Hydra to be loaded. I would first look at Scott's suggestion and check methods to save programs on a PC. I use pyTiVo Desktop.

Easier to use pyTivo

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ditto. This is about the only thing that gives you control over the process. As you say, TiVo is supposedly working on the downgrade issue, but who knows when they'll have it fixed... and trying to get TiVo to make an exception regarding the window for returning your defective unit may end up being more effort than it's worth.

Check the PyTivo thread linked by @JoeKustra for advice on offloading content intended for restoration back to a new DVR. And, as previously suggested, KMTTG can be used to backup your OnePasses and some other settings. If you don't already have these programs in operation then maybe consider it serendipitous.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  13. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Nobody answered this question directly. No, it not possible. The shows on each hard drive are encrypted and tied to that individual Tivo unit. If you put your old hard drive in a new Tivo, the new Tivo will automatically format it.

Both pyTivo and kttmg will decrypt the shows for you, so you can watch them anywhere including your new Tivo. Note that some or most shows may not transfer, depending on the copy protection of your local cable company.

kpeters59, krkaufman and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  14. lovethenewname

Feb 27, 2018
    SOLVED!

In my previous TiVo Roamio OTA I had installed a cablecard bracket and had been using a cablecard. When I got the new TiVo I moved the cablecard bracket and the cablecard to the new TiVo. Today I was hooking up my surround sound speakers and I decided to test with Xfinity on demand, because I know they have some music, but it wouldn't play, because it said my cablecard wasn't activated. I logged onto Comcast's site, and activated my cablecard with this box.

Then on a hunch, after it succeeded I decided to try the TiVo downgrade again, and when I went through the menus, TiVo presented me the option of downgrading. It's doing it right now.

Thank you all for always being helpful when I've posted here in the past. It's not often(and this isn't my first username I've used), but this place has always been a great resource, and I appreciate it very much.

krkaufman, kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My guess would be that the downgrade succeeding may have been coincidental relative to the CableCARD activation. We'll know if others reporting an inability to downgrade similarly report success.

edit: p.s. Yeah, looks like TiVo may have resolved the downgrade glitch. Another user, here, was also able to finally downgrade tonight.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    stile99 likes this.
  16. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I got a new Roamio today and was able to download. I don't know if it matters or not but I had to use the remote from my old Premier to get it to do the downgrade .That mitjist be a coincidence though.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Some have reported that the downgrade remote sequence works better with the remote in IR mode. (Though there's been a definite disruption in the ability to downgrade for a couple days, regardless of the remote's mode. Hopefully that's over.)