I am considering the 'TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV'

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by buscuitboy, Jan 11, 2019.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    So, I am considering a TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV. I know it hasn't gotten any real love here, but here is some background on my situation and why.

I have been a TiVo customer for YEARS! Love them and have had them with my Xfinity service. I currently have 2 Roamios (with cable cards) and 2 Minis with my hard wired network. All has been working great. Now, I recently have gotten traditional DirecTV satellite service installed in my home. I have a Genie receiver and 2 Genie Minis. All works good with this as well.

Due to this, I have drastically reduced my Xfinity services to their internet and local TV channels only. Long story why, but I still need access to the Xfinity based local community public access channels & record them with my TiVos. Satellite doesn't offer these channels so this is why I am keeping my TiVos. I also frequently use pyTivo to transfer recordings from TiVo. This has been working good too.

Quite honestly, I think the DirecTV Genie intereface stinks in comparison to TiVo's, but for the current discount I am getting, I can live with it. I was told I am entitled to a free upgrade each yr. The TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV is an option I can choose and is available to me.

I am thinking of choosing this. I realize it would be totally independent of my DirecTV Genie network, but any chance the 'TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV' would see my regular TiVOs (Roamios and Minis) so I can stream and transfer content amongst all the TiVo based equipment? Could I also use pyTivo with 'TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV'?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I didn't the current DirectTV TiVo supported any of those features, but hopefully someone who really knows the answer will respond.

Scott

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    The Tivo interface on Directv is junk compared to the regular Tivo. Last I checked its the old SD interface (like my Series 3 has). Plus ATT charges $5 extra for the privilege of a DirecTivo

I didnt think they even allowed folks to add that machine to their account.

4. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA
    The REAL question here is if the Roamios and the 'DirecTV TiVO' will have the same media access key. if they don't, then no sharing allowed.