Hydra Zoom

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Gavroche, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...

Advertisements

I've spent about 30 minutes reading posts about Zoom under Hydra, but I don't see my actual issue addressed anywhere, which seems odd. Maybe I just couldn't find it using search on here.

My question is: Under Hydra, is navigating to the settings menu and changing the Aspect Correction Mode now the only way to zoom the picture when viewing SD material?

To be clear, I'm not asking about how to get back to the full-screen image when in a menu or something... the Zoom-the-picture with SD content has always been an incredibly important feature to me and one of the main reasons why I've continued to use the Tivo remote over the years.

Why is it so important? Because...
    • My local cable provider (Xfinity) sends me various channels that I watch regularly that are SD only. All of these channels are in 16:9 format almost 100% of the time, meaning that without zooming the picture I get a box in the middle of the screen.
    • My Samsung TV's cannot "zoom" this image correctly unless I re-configure my Tivos to also output 480p.
    • Even if I did change the TiVo video settings to output 480 so my Samsung TVs would let me zoom correctly, the TiVo interface itself would then be off-screen, so this is not a good solution really.
    So I have always used the TiVo Zoom button as a great work-around for this issue.

At least the feature is still there, but it seems cumbersome to have to go into the settings menu and change this all the time.

Is there any other work-around I haven't thought of?

2. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    OK so I found it in the "Hydra: How Do I" thread... yay! Curious that I didn't find this on my own by just navigating around my Bolt though... it's relatively easy.

For those that may be looking for it... on SD content press Info then horizontally scroll to "Change Panel Mode"

Works for me!

Dr_Zoidberg, A2JetGuy and kpeters59 like this.
  3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have it on good authority that zoom changing the aspect ratio was purposely not implemented at this time. Most likely due to the fact it doubles as a Back button when older remotes lacking Back are use with Hydra.

I miss the old functionality a lot as well and hope they find a way to bring it back soon.

EDIT: Great find! Thanks

computersteve likes this.
  4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    With so many underused color ABCD buttons one wonders why they couldn't map the old Zoom functionality to A B C (D already used for Skip). They have CC on/off mapped to Long Press B/Blue. If I'm missing an existing usage of color ABCD, the suggestion still stand, just pick a different colored button, I'm sure they can find one that is unused.

5. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...

Advertisements

I agree. It would be nice to have a button to cycle through, but I really don't mind losing that feature too much as long as it's relatively easy to still get to the function (even without a dedicated button). The new UI takes a little getting used to. I think I would agree with what others have said in the forum here: that a video tutorial of some sort automatically pushed down to the tivo at upgrade time would have been helpful.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It would be nice, too, if the existing help was up to date. On the help screen (Hydra) for closed captions, it says to select the CC icon on the info banner. Nope.

7. Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Work-around? Why should we need a work-around. Tivo wake up here is another example of how badly Hydra is screwed up.

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Why are you bringing up work-around when he later found how to do it under Info?

Scott

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  9. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    He probably didn't see my later post. That being said, the fact remains that they got rid of the zoom button. That used to be a really nice feature for those of us stuck with sd-only channels because Comcast won't provide the HD versions. Yes, the feature is still there and it's easy to get to, but now requires more button-presses than it used to which is a bit of a step back no matter how you slice it. I'd rather have the zoom button back.

It's a minor thing, I agree. Overall I'm fine with hydra even though the interface style is not my personal preference, but it works fine (mostly) and having to change my behavior a little bit is kind of to be expected with a whole new os.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I’m liking the change, actually. The old zoom button is used a lot more in its current configuration while the actual zoom feature isn’t needed that often even with SD channels and is till relatively easy.

11. kflinch

kflinch Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs
    I like old functionality too. The "zoom" button should zoom. Too many clicks to change the aspect ratio now.