1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydra upgrade?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bluebsh, Sep 17, 2018.

1. bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I've been trying to get my tivo Roamio to upgrade to the Hydra UI but it wont.

went to Login Template Title on friday it listed my TSN for the roamio as upgrade eligible... selected it and it said wait 24-48 hrs well today's Monday nothing, restarted the tivo... nothing

go back to the site and now it says there are no eligible TSN's to upgrade to hydra

what's going on? how do you get it to upgrade?

2. bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Apps > Get New Experience also does nothing.....

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hope you find the answer. I changed hard drives and no longer have the app. This Roamio was shipped with TE4 but it loaded TE3 when I installed the new drive. I have tried Twitter, Chat and email and they all say I need to send my TiVo back. I also sent a "PM" to @TiVo_Ted and no response.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I finally got my Roamio OTA back to TE4. All I had to do was buy a new VOX remote with the dongle. Then spend 30 minutes to pair it. Another 30 minutes for the upgrade and I'm good to go.

OrangeCrush and krkaufman like this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Chuckle!

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My Mini VOX kept asking for its mommy.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Bumping for current information.

I have a Roamio Pro as my main family room DVR. I also have a 4th Gen Apple TV which I use for 99% of non-cable content, including commercial-free Hulu.

I recently performed the Hydra upgrade on a bedroom Bolt and I do like the interface. I’m considering doing the same for consistency on the Roamio although I doubt I’ll ever use VOX.

Are there downsides to doing so these days? Will I likely introduce problems?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I doubt you will have problems, but I don't know how you use the Roamio. Also, you would need a new remote and a dongle for voice to work on your Roamio. If you like the Bolt's interface, the only downside to having it on a Roamio is that it will be a little slower. I have both and don't see any problems except the old software seems to be ignored more than I expected. Anyhow, the ATV is much better for apps and you have that covered.

Beryl likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Transfers between boxes can be more of a hassle/problem with Hydra/TE4. Streaming doesn’t appear to be affected.

10. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I don’t see using voice at all with the Roamio. The ATV and TiVo app are decent for finding content.
    Slower than the previous interface, slower than the Bolt, or both?
    That is concerning. Streaming between boxes is more important to me than transferring. Naturally, the Roamio is the main recording source.

What about transferring to mobile devices?

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A Roamio is not as fast as a Bolt. I also have a Premiere and the Roamio is much faster. The Bolt is a little faster than a Roamio. I doubt you will find any significant difference. TE4 does a lot more. That's not free. I have my TE4 Roamio trimmed down (as I do my TE3). All those pretty windows with previews cost CPU power. When I don't want them, I stop them when I can.

Here's something to consider. How much free space is on your Bolt? I ask because if you upgrade to TE4 on your Roamio and don't like it, the rollback process will cause you to erase all the content on the Roamio. But if it can fit on the Bolt, then you could "park" the data on the Bolt during the rollback. I've done this. Twice. :)

12. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Trimming it down? I’d consider that. Someone must have documented a way to do that for dummies.

I’ll look at transferring things to the Bolt. I have space for the things I wouldn’t want to lose.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just look for things you don't use. Once example could be Video Window. Anyhow, the backup space will only be needed if you decide to return the Roamio to TE3.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Note a limitation with TE4 (apart from the few that you've probably seen and are fine with, liking the UI): while you can transfer a show to your PC under TE4, you can't transfer a show from your PC to your TiVo box. Simply an FYI.

15. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks. I’ll give it a go eventually. It is great to read that the software has improved since originally released. I was expecting the responses to be more like, "run, don’t walk from the upgrade ".