Hydra Update News

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Megamind, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri

Advertisements

From our friend @davezatz

TiVo Preps Significant System Enhancements

aaronwt, aristoBrat, mrizzo80 and 5 others like this.
  2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    No live guide though? Disappointing.

3. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    FINALLY HDMI_CEC!! I might finally be tempted to upgrade, but I'm still holding out hope HDMI_CEC will come to TE3. Anyone heard any word if they plan to backport it?

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    CEC, folder play, both good.

Still no live guide or pc/dvr transfers? Bad.

If the "Series level" screen is the one I'm thinking of (where you look up a program and you have strips for OnePass options, Cast, All Episodes, Upcoming Episodes, etc), that's one of the worst offenders in Hydra and it can die in a fire. Curious to see what's different... Presumably back to list views?

stile99, pj1983 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  5. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO

Advertisements

Curious on what the timing will be.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm just confused. And why the John Deere cap? Will this version cut my grass too?

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I hope it's a good update. As always I will be at least 6 weeks behind, just to make sure my old Roamio takes the update well.

8. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    More (vertical) lists, more grids!

I like including images in my posts and reused a prior graphic. I mean the settings screen where you toggle on CEC is a pretty lame visual. :)

aaronwt likes this.
  9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No problem. But did you just indicate that this CEC stuff will be optional? I never use it, and I'm not sure of the effect. But if I can turn it off, it would be fine. Thanks for the update. We're an information wasteland around here. I guess I'll wait for the release notes (another joke). :D

10. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I think for Tivo to stay relevant is to partner with, or create their own, ITV that the Tivo box can record from. I know that may not be the easiest thing in the world, but to add to that if they could manage a true a la carte system where we pay for only the channels we want it would be a huge selling point. Pay only for the channels you want, antenna for locals broadcasts, local storage, and stream from your device remotely would probably tempt a lot of people.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It had better be optional. CEC is a pain in the butt. And I’ve learned how to use the strips. Oh, well.

12. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Lists?!? Apparently Tivo fears change. :D:p

13. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic

Apr 4, 2003
    Marietta,...
    With the rumored (or is it confirmed?) elimination of CableCARDs, I just hope TiVo can stay in business. I do NOT want to give up my TiVo for any cable equipment. I hear the X1 platform with Xfinity is good, but I love my TiVo.

14. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I think CableCARDs days are numbered, but it's still a fairly high number. The cable companies still have millions of boxes out there with embedded cable cards and they can't switch over to full IPTV until those are replaced.

I'm looking at it the same way I look at ATSC 3. By they time it matters, the landscape of what's available is probably going to be completely different. It might make a difference for anything new I decide to buy, but I'm not worrying about replacing anything I have right now.

15. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    It's been known for a while that folder play would be returning, so while it's not exactly news it remain a positive development. As for CEC, it can be useful and work well ... or not. So many variables and user configurations out there, it could be nightmare if it's not optional.

The UI changes sound like a move in the right direction, but we'll have to see. I thought the episode strips would grow on me, but they never did. Anything that means I can spend less time navigating and more time watching is an improvement.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo_Ted has made it pretty clear that Live Guide is really really REALLY far down the list of spending development time on.

cwerdna likes this.
  17. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Yes, I recall that from his previous posts but wasn't sure if they are making substantial changes to this (as it sounds like they are) this might get added back in.

18. Phil_C

Phil_C Active Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    Yup. My URC remote handles everything. Don't need CEC fouling things up.

CEC should be optional.

19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Ala carte will lead to market rate pricing on channels, market rate usually means more expensive, channels will have to pay their way their own way. How many people want the same channels ? Be very careful what you wish for, once the door is open it may not close. Skinny bundles will be the future for most people and make economic sense.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Amen. Way off topic but the forays into individual channel streaming have already shown that the price goes up for individual content and also limits what you get to see. Even the skinny bundle streaming systems are building up to big bundles and similar prices.

aaronwt likes this.