Hydra - I hate the new guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ngoclinh23, Mar 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ngoclinh23

ngoclinh23 New Member

Mar 25, 2018

Advertisements

I used to like the old guide because you could select a channel on the left and see what would be upcoming for several hours (perhaps 8-10 hours, I don't remember the exact number).

Now, with the new guide in Hydra, you can only see 2 hours at a time. This means you need to do a lot of paging around in the guide (moving right a lot) if you want to see what will be playing later in the day. What a pain.

I tried viewing the PDF viewer's guide doc but it doesn't show a way to see several hours of guide data for a channel. Anyone else miss this, or was this just something I valued?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It's a reason I'm not on Hydra. :(

david13305, sharkster, mrsean and 2 others like this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    For reference, the guide you preferred is called the "Live Guide," while the new UI only provides the "Grid Guide." You'll find many a kindred spirit pining the absence of the Live Guide.

david13305, PSU_Sudzi and CloudAtlas like this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It was a popular topic for a while. I guess only new people care anymore. see -> Hydra... Bring back Live Guide!!!!

mcglyb, david13305 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  5. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA

Advertisements

FWIW, the grid guide isn’t new. My family has used it for so many years that I honestly don’t remember when it was introduced.

I do hope that TiVo puts the option for the Live Guide back for those that miss it.

We don’t miss it one bit, but we only use the guide a few times a week, for the rare event when someone is watching Live TV and wants to see what shows are on now. We’ve never had a need to see the next six hours of shows on the same channel. But I get it that others do...

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    In Hydra, you can up arrow while watching live tv and see thumbnails of more upcoming shows and page thru those in bigger chunks of time. This feature gets enhanced in the future, but still no text listing yet, like the old live guide.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Sometimes, some things just feel futile and you just give up. (This is not a political commentary.)

8. flyboy0002

flyboy0002 New Member

Feb 13, 2018

9. flyboy0002

flyboy0002 New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    you can downgrade it back to the older format...it isn't very hard to do

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

ifyou don't mind wiping all your recorded shows

computersteve, Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  11. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Thumbnails/Tiles are a crock of $hitttt and people lived with the STUPID grid guide in the 70's and 80's and 90's on all cable guides until Tivo (and then Dish I think) made the double sided GENIUS Live Guide. I think the people who like the grid guide are.....oops, don't want to get in trouble here...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:cool:

OPTIONS TIVO, INC...WHEN ARE YOU EVER GOING TO HAVE REAL OPTIONS???!!!

wtherrell and MMG like this.
  12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    It is something alright. A feature people are begging for (live guide) simply not being provided. No one wants to scroll 30 times to see whats on later tonight. Live guide took one glance to see the entire lineup for the night.

CTLesq likes this.
  13. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    "No one wants to scroll 30 times to see whats on during primetime...the grid guide lets you see multiple channels at once, instead of having scroll up and down just to see what's on next on another channel."

There are two sides to every debate. Once again: Hydra was not designed for the TiVo fan base (who have been unable to support the product financially), it was designed for the cable operators that are the TiVo DVR's only hope for a future. Retail sale and use of DVRs never caught on, and is being put out of its misery by changes to FCC rules and technological change. The ONLY future for TiVo software is in selling it to small operators as an alternative to Comcast's and Altice's designs. Hydra looks a lot like these solutions, because that is what that market demands. They don't care about the Live Guide, SPS codes, or any other TiVo quirk.

If all the little unique features of the TiVo software are important to you, stick with Encore. If you are willing to go for a ride into TiVo's future, switch to Hydra - but don't expect box to box transfers (as opposed to streaming playback) or the "Live Guide" to show up in it anytime soon.

aaronwt, chiguy50, aristoBrat and 2 others like this.
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Here's an idea: maintain the beloved Gen3 features (e.g. box-to-box transfers, Live Guide) in Gen4/Hydra but allow the cablecos to have those features turned off by a switch.

wtherrell likes this.
  15. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. I recall in the early days of TiVo, there was no free space indicator, nor an indication of how full the drive might be. Literally the only way to tell was turn suggestions on, and as suggestions were the first to go, if this folder is light on entries, you're probably close to full. This went on for an astoundingly long time, with both TiVo and certain others coming up with multiple explanations why 1: you don't need one, and 2: we admit it's a good idea, but it's harder to implement than you think. Other DVRs provided this extremely obvious feature and TiVo suddenly changed direction and decided that determining how full a hard drive was wasn't that difficult after all. The people (both TiVo and otherwise) who had been spending their time telling you how dumb you were to want such a feature in the first place and why it was never going to happen were suddenly silenced.

16. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    For the record, the "new guide" isn't new at all. Tivo had BOTH the "grid guide" (the one you don't like) AND "live guide" (the one you like) for as long as I can remember.
    I believe the live guide was the default and some people didn't realize the grid guide was even an option. Unfortunately, with Hydra they have ditched the old default guide all together and now all you have is the grid.
    Although I didn't use the live guide, I appreciated the option. In fact, at one point I switched back and forth between them frequently. I don't feel like people are stupid for not having the same preference as me, It really depends on your viewing patterns and how you schedule recordings. Personally, I rarely browse the guide to decide what to record, so I don't need to see more than the next couple of hours in the guide. If I am looking at the guide, I'm trying to decide what to watch NOW, or within the next 30 minutes. I just want to see, at a glance, what is currently on AND what is coming up on the next time slot on multiple channels at a glance without stepping through one channel at a time. Personally, I think the term "live guide" was not very well suited for it's function. For me the grid guide worked better for live viewing. Also, I when using the live guide I never understood how to tell how long a program had left without selecting it in the guide. With the grid view, at a glance I can see approximately how much time is left for several "currently airing" programs at one time. I found it frustrating to see a movie that I was interested in, only to scroll down to it and realize it had been on for an hour or more and was in the last 30 minutes.
    I do understand that some people's viewing habits are better suited for the live guide. Some like the deeper but more narrow field of view, where other want a wide but shallow view.

aristoBrat likes this.
  17. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    OR they could keep BOTH, just like it was previously... heck, I'm sure most people here would not care if they kept the grid as the default, as long as they had the OPTION to go back to live view. Again, not a fan of it, but I UNDERSTAND why a lot of people are a fan. It was one of those "very TiVo" features that made it feel different, unique, and better... and if you didn't like it, you could turn it off.
    I'm not sure why cablecos want to disable stuff like this.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Because every user-configurable option is an increase in development and support costs. Paired with there not having been any real competition.

19. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I would also expect they dont want the competitor boxes to have differentiating factors over their own kind of like the App developers for streaming want the same look and feel regardless of the platform. I don't agree with it since you could reach a larger audience but they dont care what I think.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    True. I was thinking/assuming TiVo-driven boxes would be used by MSOs instead of the MSO rolling their own.