Hydra December Update Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by LVKeith, Jan 20, 2019.

1. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018

Advertisements

Got my Tivo Vox a year ago. Of course Hydra was loaded by default on the new Vox. Didn't like it so I downgraded to TE3.

I now see that Hydra has been updated in December with some new features and improvements that I would like to try out (especially the voice skip forward or reverse x minutes).

My main question is if I do the Hydra upgrade now, and still don't like, can I downgrade again to TE3?? Or have downgrades after Hydra upgrades been blocked now??

Also, are there any other reasons I should not upgrade at this time (any major bugs remaining)? Never use live guide so that doesn't matter to me.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS-I know I would lose recorded programs on downgrade if I decide to downgrade again. Don't have anything worth saving. Mostly use the Tivo for time shifting and skipping commercials.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Thanks for the link
    Yes, I have the New Experience App, so I should be able to upgrade with no problem. It's the downgrade (if needed) that I'm worried about as it seems so have not been successful (but many have). Last thing I want to do is brick the Tivo trying to downgrade.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If you are unsure, don’t upgrade. If you are just afraid, don’t worry. Do you have specific functions from TE3 you don’t want to lose? TE4 works fine but has a few features (mostly downloading programs from a PC) that don’t exist.

5. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018

Advertisements

I don't have any specific functions from TE3 that I would care about losing. Don't use the live guide (prefer grid guide) and do not push recordings to the Tivo. The thing I like about TE3 is that is quick, very responsive and everything works well. TE4 was not that way when I tried it a year ago (original release). Specifically, I found TE4 (a year ago) very slow in response to numerous 30 second skip presses, and have macros on my Harmony remote for skip 1 min and skip 2 minutes which work fine, but did not work well on TE4. Hoping that the new voice command for forward x minutes are even faster than the macros for skipping commercials. Other than that I probably would never use voice commands except for going directly to a channel by channel name. I'm not really afraid about upgrading but would feel better about it if I was sure that I could downgrade if things don't work out with TE4. My guess is I will be fine with TE4 but who know's???

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    TE4 has been quicker from day one for me and many others. Not sure why yours would’ve been slow.

7. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    TE4 was quick in most respects, but not for multiple 30 second skip presses and I use those a lot. I had TE3 on a premier 4 years ago and it was quick and I was familiar with it. That's why I originally went back to TE3.

8. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Well I guess I answered my own question today. I had decided to the upgrade to TE4 and went into the "Get New Experience" app. When I chose to get new experience it warned me that I would NOT be able to return to TE3 under any circumstances. So it looks like Tivo is starting to close the door to downgrading back to TE3 at least for some users. For now, I'm not going to do the upgrade - will wait to see what new features future TE4 updates bring.

9. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    There hasn't been a change in that since day 1.

-KP

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    CloudAtlas likes this.