Hunted - Series Premiere - 1/22/2017 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jan 23, 2017.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I was looking forward to this show as I thought the premise sounded very intriguing. But the execution was very lacking. The cheesy voiceover narration makes it seem like some cut-rate cable true crime reenactment show.

They didn't do a good job of creating a rooting interest for the audience. I'm predisposed to want to root for the players to evade capture, but from what we saw, the players are all idiots and I'll be shocked if anyone makes it the full 28 days.

And I assume there were rules that prevented them from packing a bag before they were notified that they were on the run, otherwise, why were people packing at the last second. But if there is such a rule, they should have explained it so the players don't immediately look like morons from the very start.

I like the idea and I hope future episodes are better, but I was kind of turned off by this episode. And I don't understand the logistics of shooting the show. The teams clearly had a camera crew with them. Obviously the producers are going to be in communication with the camera crews. So does it really even matter how well the teams can hide? If a team just bought a tent and some canned food and went into the forest for 28 days, would the producers actually allow that? That seems like the obvious thing to do, but also seems like it would make for a very boring show.

I was bummed to see how stupid Miss South Carolina and her boyfriend were. I was hoping she'd be on my TV for many episodes to come.

2. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Really? Nobody else watched this? I wondered why we saw the car turning in front of David and Emiley's Audi, but then there was not any actual footage of the wreck, but after thinking about it, I realized that the shot of the car turning in front of them was clearly a re-creation, since they don't have camera crews following in separate cars (that we know of). Makes me wonder how much of the footage we saw was either re-creations or stuff the production team specifically shot for the show, such as the perfectly clear, HD-quality picture of the South Carolina couple from the bus station ATM. That had to be either re-created or shot specifically for the show, as there's no way they got that pic from the actual ATM camera. Like for example, I wonder if the camera crew following the teams has to stick a GoPro on the ATM to simulate the ATM camera since they won't be able to get access to the real ATM footage and even if they did, the quality would not be great.

3. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I padded the football enough so I could check it out quickly. I didn't have much hope for it going in and knew I didn't want to add a Onepass for it to my already exhaustive TV schedule. It was pretty boring. One way to think of it is like Cops with amateur pretend criminals. Not structured enough - it doesn't seem like a fair fight. Looks like they're trying to preach to the public never put yourself in a position where you have to hide from the authorities. The hide and seek concept might work better incorporated into a season of The Amazing Race or something similar, but instead of being eliminated for getting caught just incur time penalties.

4. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I would have liked to see them have time to pack and plan (I guess that one girl did plan, and then they found the notepad)and it would have made more sense to just give them the money in cash. They all went to family and friends, which probably should have been against the rules. And I guess they weren't allowed to use their own cars, so they were pretty limited on transportation. The tent in the woods seemed like a good idea, but then they only stayed one night. I may give it one more episode.

5. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi

Advertisements

I watched some of it, then had the rest on in the background without any sound. Even without the sound, the sheer stupidity of the contestants was overwhelming.

The artificial constraints on the money really annoyed me. $500 total, and you can only pull $100 a day off? So basically, you're setting it up so that they're going to *have* to keep popping up on the radar if they want any access to money. Most atm cards are set up to allow a larger daily limit than that. Of course, if you're stupid enough to pull money from the atm while wearing your disguise from the atm in the bus terminal where you're buying your tickets, well, it's not going to matter how much you pull out if you're that dumb.

6. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    Yep- agree with all of the other comments above. And notice in the end credits they have the dreaded "parts of this were re-created" disclaimer.

7. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We must have watched totally different shows. They could definitely drive their own cars. The SC was driving their own car and they were paranoid it was going to get them caught due to the hunters being able to access traffic cams, plate scanners, etc. That's the whole reason they ditched their car and got on the bus.

As for the money, giving them cash upfront would make it too easy for the teams to hide without having to "come up for air." And I'm not sure why you would suggest contacting friends or family should be against the rules. The whole point is to put the teams in a realistic fugitive scenario, and fugitives frequently reach out to friends and family, and law enforcement knows this so that's how many fugitives get caught. Making that against the rules would take away a big part of what makes the show/game possible.

8. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I wonder if the camera crews being with the contestants helps them get around the lack of ability to search private property. Otherwise you could just stay at a friend's house and if the hunters came to the door the friend could lie and deny them entry. Seems like it would be pretty easy, as long as you have a friend who doesn't mind you crashing at their place for a month.

9. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I didn't watch the show because the previews made it look dumb

I live in NYC
    give me 30 minutes notice and you won't find me for a month

reading this thread I see you're allowed to take out $100 a day ??
    LOL
    if it was the beginning of summer and you gave me 30 minutes notice and $100 a day I could disappear for the ENTIRE summer
    EASILY

I guess I just don't get the premise or don't know enough about the show to understand the rules
    maybe I shouldn't judge the show from just the previews
    or maybe the previews should have done a better job of explaining it and making it sound challenging

10. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    They were primarily contained to Georgia and surrounding area. They could withdraw a total of $500 but only in $100 increments per day. Whenever they used the ATM, their location would be immediately known by the hunters. The people who got caught in the first episode put on bad disguises, used an ATM at a bus station and then got on a bus. The bus station ticket seller was able to recognize them, probably because of the bad disguises, and told the hunters which bus they got on. All the hunters then had to do was wait for the bus to arrive.
    Depending on the rules, it should still be pretty easy for a reasonably intelligent person to evade capture, but it's highly doubtful this show is going to be full of reasonably intelligent people.

11. Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
    A lot has to be staged, no way they get access to ATM, Traffic Cam, or even private cameras for a TV show. It would really be a abuse of public trust to allow just anyone to access ATM and traffic cams. And I would not let anyone view my shops camera footage with out a warrant and a badge under most circumstances.

12. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and were 6'8" and 5'11" respectively! There's not a lot of disguising when you're that height!!!

There were many dumb moves by that couple including buying tickets to Atlanta in the first place and then thinking they could run when they got off the bus! They would probably have had more luck just walking into the terminal, but by that point, they were well and truly caught anyway.

The couple hiding out in the friends' house would have had way more luck if they had traveled in the trunk at a regular commuting time rather than late at night. At least it wouldn't have looked as out of place as it did. I don't see the two women getting too far either.

It piqued my interest to keep watching for another show or two, if only to see if the other contestants are as dumb as these!

13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    When the couple was on the bus and the team was setting up at the bus station, I thought for sure they were setting up for the standard TV trope where they make the viewer think something is happening at a certain place/time, but then it turns out it isn't. I thought maybe they were making us think the hunt team was about to catch them, and then they would reveal that the couple actually got off at a previous stop on the outskirts of Atlanta. Unfortunately, either the bus didn't have any other stops, or the couple was just that dumb.

14. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I guess I was thinking that it would be stupid to go to anyone they can connect to you and are watching. So that should just be eliminated from the start. Several of them borrowed cars or got rides from someone else (friends or family) so I thought that was in the rules. Again, dangerous.

I thought the disguises were a good idea at first, until I saw them. :)
    And the guy with the beard etc--was it red?--shave it off, for Pete's sake.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    There's a big difference between what are smart tactics for the players and what are good rules for the game in order to make a good TV show. For example, it would be smart of the contestants to refrain from contacting friends or family, because if they do, that makes them easier to catch. But it would be stupid for that to be a rule of the game, because the whole point is for the show to be able to track these people and catch them. If all the players were using smart tactics such as not contacting friends/family, not using their ATM card, not using cell phones/computers/social media accounts, not driving known vehicles, not purchasing travel arrangements or accommodations that require showing ID, etc., then they would be able to win the game pretty easily, but it would make for a very boring TV show.

16. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    I want to like this series but the disclaimer at the end that aspects may have been “replicated for broadcast” really takes a lot of the fun out of the show. Yet, I can’t help but examine some of the claims a bit.

According to the southeasternstages.com website, a 2:05 p.m. bus from Augusta to Atlanta will take exactly three hours. I agree that that may be enough time to meet Matt and Christina’s bus once the ATM transmits the transaction. However, I doubt that a freestanding (and possibly independently owned) ATM will stream HD quality video to the undisclosed command center.

For the couple hiding out with friends in the Rivermoore Park housing development on Dovecote Trail in Suwanee, GA, there is only one street exit from that entire development, which leads onto Moore Road.

Moore Rd, Suwanee, Georgia, United States | Instant Street View

If the hunters had parked near that intersection, then I agree they would be able to keep track of all cars going in and out. However, judging by the fences of the nearby shopping center, they appear to have parked 0.8 miles south from that exit.

4273 Moore Rd, Suwanee, Georgia, United States | Instant Street View

Google Maps

Parking in this shopping center (which has a Starbucks, Burger King, and Chick-fil-A) only makes sense if they assume their fugitives will take the most direct road to the Georgia State Route 23. However, David and Emiley could have easily decided to go north instead where there are multiple (but longer) ways to get to the highway.

Also, judging from all of the lights on in the shopping center, it wasn’t that late so seeing a car on Moore Road should not be that odd. The Burger King there is open until midnight so it is not a commercially deserted area where a solo car should stand out.

Burger King® at 1045 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Suwanee, Georgia 30024

I’m finding that much of the entertainment I’m getting out of the show is from trying to figure out which scenes are real and which are fake.

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I'm sure the contestants are not using their own ATM cards: they're using cards supplied by the show and so the show gets notified whenever the cards are used. I'm confident they could work that out with the bank, if they even needed to.

As for ATM / traffic footage, probably the footage isn't from official cameras but rather are re-enactments using the show's cameras.

For re-enactments, that is a drag but the problem is it's hard to hide out if you have a whole camera crew following you around.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I have no problem with the fact that they have to recreate some of the footage, since logistics of having that kind of camera coverage all the time just aren't practical. And it's probably not even possible for the show to get actual footage from ATMs, traffic cams, private surveillance cameras, etc. So the show simply recreates the type of shot that would be available to law enforcement in a real fugitive situation. For example, as I mentioned above, I'm sure the camera crew is instructed to stick a GoPro on the ATM to simulate an ATM camera shot whenever one of the teams is going to make a withdrawal. And there was an overhead shot (drone or helicopter) of the bus going down the highway. That's obviously not being captured in real time while the "fugitive" couple is on the bus, so that's clearly a re-creation. But I don't think that any of it takes away from the game/chase the show is trying to present. I don't any of the chase aspects of what we're seeing are scripted or made up. But it's very possible that if the camera crews didn't get good footage of the couple getting chased and captured, that they could ask the participants to do that over. It doesn't have any effect on the outcome of the game, but getting a better shot could make for a more entertaining TV show.

19. Methery

Methery New Member

Apr 2, 2017
    couldn't agree more...
    but there are bad days for everyone... like for example today is mine since my doc. told me that I need something I don't really wanna take: Humatrope.

Last edited: May 10, 2017