Hung-up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JHat, Jan 8, 2006.

1. JHat

JHat New Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I am officially living with a new motto - If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Just like I periodically housekeep my home comptuer, I thought I would do the same with the TiVo hard drive. With the Christmas holiday sending reruns I thought this would be a great time to do it since there wasn't much I had recorded on the "playlist" TiVo had gone crazy though and probably filled up most of the drive (I have Series 1 - 30 hrs by the way). So.........selected to "delete everything" - "this may take up to an hour" the screen told me. Two hours later my husband disconnected the power which it didn't appear anything was happening. It resarted it's delete process (so TiVo support told us). If the drive was full it could take several hours. After 8 hours, we pulled the power again and turned it back on. It then sat for several hours at the grey screen with "powering up".

Has anyone had this experience? I'm so pissed that this is an option the "user" can easily do and potentially harm the system. Nowhere did it tell me "warning, don't do this!" not in the instructions on the screen or in the manual. I would like to have been told to erase what I could manually to speed things up also!

I'm getting a new machine Fed-ex'ed but I could potentially be without TV for upto 4 days - I've already been without it for this weekend. I don't even know what shows I'll be missing because I never know what night they are on - I never watch anything live anymore! I just know my faitfull TiVo will record for me. I'm so mad that I did this whole process when I had NO TROUBLE with my system at all.

Any input other than "you idiot" would be appreciated. Jo-Jo-TiVo :mad: :mad:

2. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I think your own conclusion: "if it ain't broke ..." is a wise one.

A "feature" of the Tivo is that unplugging it is sometimes the only option. But perhaps when such a severe housekeeping activity is going on, that option should be avoided if at all possible.

Your repeated unplugging likely did no damage, since the system was probably munged on the first unplug (at which time the clear was probably proceeding fine).