Humax unit not responding to remote?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by sushikitten, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Our TiVo DVD (Humax) peanut remote is having issues. The volume button works intermittently, which is frustrating...but not critical. I found an extra red peanut remote (brand new) but it doesn't have the DVD controls but we just used both remotes...but then the red peanut remote had the same issues...which makes me think it's a problem with the TiVo itself and not the remote (the other buttons worked).

So I actually got an exact remote replacement from a friend and it seemed to work so I thought my problem was solved. Until now. When the only remote button that works is the power button.

Anyone ever had something like that happen? The TiVo lights up to show it's receiving the remote signal, but it's a crapshoot if it's actually going to work (which it mostly doesn't). And the remote lights up with a button press so it's not bad batteries.

Any one hear of tivos malfunctioning in this way? Is there any solution?

I'd really hate to lose this machine as its lifetimed. And has LOTS of kid shows on it.

2. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Now the TiVo is sporadically lighting up with remote commands. :(

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Is it possible that there is another remote buried under a couch cushion or pillow that is interfering?

4. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Nope, there's just the one remote.

And now it's being completely wonky. One minute the remote functions will work, the next it won't work at all. ARGH!

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You don't have a TV, sound system or any other remote? It doesn't have to be a TiVo remote to cause interference.

6. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Nope. It's in the bedroom so we just have the tv (which uses the TiVo remote) and the TiVo.

Other random things in the room (like the stereo and Ethernet bridge) have been here for months/years without affecting it, so I can't imagine they would suddenly be the problem.

7. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    If you haven't pulled the plug for at least 30 seconds to reboot it, I would recommend giving that a try.

Pulling the batteries out of the remote for a few minutes is also something to try.