Humax Tivo to DVD - now want back on Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by PopcornGuy, Feb 16, 2009.

1. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have several DVDs of programs that were originally recorded on a Series 2 Humax and then saved to DVD from the Humax. I am looking for a step-by-step process to get these recordings back onto Tivo.

I used a DVD ripping program to get them onto a computer and pytivo to get them onto Tivo. I get the video but no sound. What am I doing wrong?

2. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    Do you have the video and audio on the computer or was it ripped incorrectly? Make sure the file on the computer is good before transferring to the tivo.

3. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The DVD has the Tivo generated menus and plays just fine. There are VOB, BUP, and IFO files on the disc. I used DVD decrypter to rip the DVD.

Maybe I can just copy the VOB file from the disc to the computer. Then I need to get it in a format the Tivo can use again.

4. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    I've heard in some cases with those DVD's created by the DVD Recorder with TiVo boxes from Pioneer, Toshiba, or Humax -- that just renaming the .vob to .mpg is enough since they're really MPEG-2 files

I've never had the reason to try it though (even though I do own one of each logo)

- Bob

5. DAccardi

DAccardi Tivo Special Member

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    If i am reading this correctly, to get a humax burned dvd back on to the humax tivo, you will need an external DVD player, connect it to the front component cables, yellow, red, white. Then go to setup a manual recording and choose record from VCR/Camcorder. it will pretty much walk you thru it from there. and it will burn only the video portion back onto TiVo and then it is a true tivo file again and can do MRV, tivotogo, etc....

Am I wrong?

6. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    That will work, but the quality will not be as good as will serving the VOB files with TiVo Desktop 2.7 or pyTivo.

7. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    OK, so if I've got this right, I need to copy and paste the VOB file from the DVD to the computer's "My Tivo Recordings" folder and then pull it onto the Tivo through Tivo Desktop 2.7.

Do I need to change the .VOB to .MPG? Do I need to purchase a Plus key to use Tivo Desktop for this or should I use a free option?

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's all about how you rip the shows in DVD Decrypter.

1) Go into the Tools->Settings menu, click on the IFO tab and set the "File Splitting" option to None.

2) Set DVD Decrypter to IFO mode

3) Select one of the titles on the DVD in the Input list

4) Click over to the Stream Processing tab

5) Check "Enable Stream Processing"

6) Select 1 video stream and 1 audio stream, uncheck any other streams that are available. (probably wont be given their origin, but just in case)

7) Select the video stream and make sure the "Map to" is set to 0xE0

8) Select the audio stream and make sure the "Map to" is set to 0x80 if it's AC3 or 0xC0 if it's MP2. (should be AC3)

9) Click go.

Now try transferring the resulting VOB file using pyTiVo and it should work just fine. If it doesn't then try changing the file extension to .mpg and try again. If that still doesn't work then you may need to run it through something like VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix to repair the stream so that it works properly with the TiVo.

Dan

9. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    Dan -- since these all came over from a DVD Recorder with TiVo box, is it even necessary to use DVD Decrypter? I thought DVD's created by the combo boxes aren't encrypted in any manner -- and that just changing the file names would be good enough (or just leave them as VOB if pyTiVo knows how to handle those)

- Bob

10. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    TiVo Desktop is now supposed to work with VOBs too, but so far I have not heard of even one person trying it. Hopefully this thread will get that question answered. Popcornguy, please try it and let us know if it works like it is supposed to.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's not necessary for actual decryption, but it has one of the best IFO parsers I've ever seen which makes it easier to extract individual episodes as single files. It also has good disc reader which can get past bad spots on the disc using error correction and retries, unlike Windows I/O which will simply bail out if it hits a disc error.

So while it's not necessary, it's still very useful.

Dan

12. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    DVDShrink might also be useful to RIP to Folder since its user interface is quite nice. It would add the ability to shrink the file size as well, should that ever be desirable.

I always run RIPs through VideoRedo to get the final output since it is not even worth checking if each one is good or bad for the TiVo; its just faster to do it every time and not worry.

I guess we'll have to wait and see on this .vob support in TD2.7, but I bet it won't change things much more than saving the trouble of changing the file extention to .mpg ... now if the .vob support meant TD would send a whole DVD main title from a folder structure to the TiVo, and fix those glitches on the way, that would really be something.

13. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    After all the suggestions for what to try, here is what I found to work best.

1. Disc -> DVD Decrypter -> Temporary folder on desktop
    While I was able to simply copy and paste the VOB files from the disc to the computer, some recordings were split into two or more files. By using DVD Decrypter with the exact settings DAN203 listed, each recording shows up neatly as one file. I am doing this for all recordings to eliminate the need to check the file count for each recording. Also, the resulting VOB file has serious sound sync problems if moved as is to the Tivo (also occurs if I change it to an MPG file) so I drop the output files to a temporary folder on the desktop.

2. Temporary folder on desktop -> VideoReDo QuickStream Fix -> My Tivo Recordings
    Running the file through VideoReDo's QuickStream Fix corrects the sound problem and makes a perfectly watchable recording. I make sure to set the output folder as My Tivo Recordings. I set the output file name to <whatever you want it to be named on your Tivo>.mpg. For my purposes, I used the format <Program Title> <MMDDYY>.mpg.

3. Transfer recordings from computer to Tivo as normal
    I used Tivo Desktop 2.7 for this. On my Tivo I get a "Video Format Notice" and "0:00" for the duration. I just ignore this and transfer the recording anyways. The transfer shows the correct running time when completed.

14. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    You are doing just right. It is important for convenience sake to set your RIPer to output to one large VOB file, just as you found with Dan's Decrypter settings, as long as space is not an issue on your TiVo.