Humax -> Tivo -> Humax TIRED OF IT

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Maverik, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Maverik

Maverik New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Well after the most recent update the Humax DVD Tivo has gotten worse not better like promised this update........or any other update as they promised.

So here is what I did AGAIN:

I call humax and complained about the reposne time and speed issues witht he unit. Here is what they said.
    1. It is a known issue and has to do with the software and not the Humax hardware. Please call Tivo with software issues.
    2. We can send you a new unit for a credit card hold but it will come with the same hardware and same software and it will perform the same.

I said thanks......for nothing.....and I will call Tivo.

So i called Tivo. Spoke to a nice guy and he said he never heard of the speed issue but he just started at Tivo.

He put me on hold and came back with the following answer.

1. It is a known issue
    2. There is nothing they can do with it. I might try a new non Humax Tivo

At this point I said I have been a Tivo customer since like 98-99 and that this is crazy. What I am out like 500.00!!! The next statement was well try selling it to someone else....!!!!! I said so ethics are not part of Tivo trainign eh?

3. He told me he is sorry and he wishes that he could do something.....but there is nothing and NO ETA or any idea what or when will fix it....

So there it is again Bad hardware bad software ......over and over oand over and over....

2. qcpw256

qcpw256 Budweiser#8

Jun 17, 2005
    Carol...
    Hey Maverick, I own two Humax DVD/DVR 80 Hour systems and I haven't run into a problem. Let me know what your setup is and maybe I can give you some suggestions.

Later,
    GFS

3. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    MIne has gotten slower and slower with each update. The latest one with the kidzone, 7.3.1?, has brought it to a halt almost when going thru the guide. If this unit was my primary unit and not a backup in the bedroom I would have probably raised holy heck about it as well.

I keep hoping they fix the speed issues.

Until then my S1 Sony's guide is blazing fast. So I use it.

4. Maverik

Maverik New Member

Apr 30, 2002

My sony S1 works the best and the quality of the video is better anyways.

I can tell you for a fact....2 things ( cant tell you how)
    1. The humax Tivo is working as intended. According to my source.
    2. There is no plans to fix this issue becuase it is working within the Tivo guidlines for performance.
    3. Humax is not longer producing the units any longer. Anything you get back from them is referb or new one stored in warehouse.
    4. Ebay resellability around 100.00

Also remember that is you buy a box from Tivo the new service plan is 20.00 a month. Not the 12.95 you are paying now.

I will keep you all in the loop as this ordeal unfolds.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    TiVo is aware of the performance issues in 7.3/7.3.1 and I expect they'll work on improving it in future releases. This has happened before and performance has been improved in subsequent releases.

6. steelio

steelio New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Kansas,USA
    yes well this is unacceptable. Really people we should stand up and have an organized call in day. This SUCKS! This unit is mine. The wife has the SA S2 and while it is slower with the new update. You can still get into the menu before your dinner gets cold.

7. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    This weekend I used my Humax in the bedroom for more than archiving shows ot DVD to watch in the living room. I decided its time for me to stand up and complain to Humax or whoever. From live tv to the Tivo menu after the button press, takes 10+ seconds. that is rediculous.

:/

8. steelio

steelio New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Kansas,USA
    yes that is what Mine is doing too.
    I guess tivo's official answer would be
    "Well with the attention span of today's youth we added a longer delay so they would not be tempted to view programs that are not intended for their young tender eyes. We have found out that 11 seconds is all they are good for and then turn the TV off. Yes we understand you are their parent, but sometimes we as corporate america must take the parenting out of the parents hands and act in the best interest of the youth of today."

And thus this is how we got 7.3.1 Kidzone approved TiVo update. A way for coporate america and the religious wackjobs that think everything should be banned from public airways to protect us.

9. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I kinda wish i had upgraded mine way back when it was faster to respond. because then id know i had the older system version and could just reimage it.

oh well. glad i didnt upgrade it, im sure they wouldnt replace it if i did or would not replace my larger HDD with it.

10. Maverik

Maverik New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Do what I did go to best buy get dual tuner 80GB and you get 150.00 rebate.

11. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Except I dont want a dual tuner unit. I want the DVD burning unit I paid good money for to work properly and at a speed that isnt slower than cold syrup. :)

12. steelio

steelio New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Kansas,USA
    yeah I'm with ya rkester.
    I have another TiVo to go with this if I want dual tuning. You know what... I found out I dont. Getting close to not wanting the DVD burning part either.
    I seen Cox and TiVo are getting together. Maybe Cox will come out with a box that does the same crap as my TiVo, and then I will just buy a DVD burner unit sell all my Tivo's as be done with it.
    Then @ least I will know when they do an update the unit will not quit functioning like it did the day before.

13. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a DRT800 and have the same issues. I mean hitting STOP during playback takes awhile for the program to actually stop is very annoying.

14. steelio

steelio New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Kansas,USA
    Not since I bought a Dyson has something sucked like this. But with the Dyson it was ment too. I mean after all this thing (DRT800) worked great a few weeks ago.

15. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    What's going on with this? It obviously isn't affecting all units. We have a Humax with DVD burner and it hasn't experienced any slow down--and it's on 7.3.1. Or at least no slow down yet!

I know that's no comfort to those of you with problems, but maybe it suggests there is a software-hardware interaction or hardware-unit related issue--and so a different unit might not show the same problem.

10 second delay is patently unacceptable. Good luck with it.

16. rkester

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I did some experiementing with the slowness and timing it... (i replicated these times in one session pretty reliably. I will try again to see if maybe the system was processing something at the time)

From watching Live TV:
    - Press Tivo Button, 8 seconds for the main tivo screen to come up
    - Press Tivo Button 2x to get NPL, 10 seconds to NPL
    - Press Guide button, 3-4 seconds for guide to appear
    - In Guide, pressing page up/down, 2-3 seconds for it to respond
    - Pressing the "DVD" button, 3-4 seconds for the dvd action menu to appear

Just to make sure it wasnt the remote's batteries, I put in a fresh set and it changed nothing.

I am going to back everything up this weekend and completely reset it across the board and see if that helps. If not I am going to start after Humax to replace or repair it.

17. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I don't quite get the 8 seconds until response but I also started seeing this a couple of weeks ago at the most recent update.

I'll add that the beep noise in response to the button push is immediate. It's the on-screen response that's slow. But, ah there's always a but, it seems to miss some of the button pushes. Maybe one in four. and moving closer to the unit doesn't seem to change the miss rate.

18. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    OK, with old batteries, and controlling our Humax DVD unit from an upstairs bedroom via Radio Shack's AV Signal Sender system, with IR relay--which should make things much worse, and take a much longer time. I did the same tests and used the time-honored "one-thousand one, one-thousand two" precision measuring system! :)

This is under 7.3.1-oth on a Humax DRT800.

From Live TV:

To Tivo Central 1.5 seconds

Pressing TiVo button again for Now Playing 3 seconds
    (that's leting screen refresh fully)

For Guide 3-4 seconds

Page Up/Down (too few channels to make this meaningful) < 1 second

DVD button < 2 seconds

Yeah, try a restart and see what happens. If it doesn't improve, it'll be interesting to see how Humax responds.

19. ivyvine

ivyvine New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    My unit was working fine (other than the slight lagging still) and I have had the 7.3.1 update since it was first released to poeple on the request list (have had it well over a month, can't remember exactly how long).

AsI said, it WAS working fine until a few days ago, now it reboots 3-4 times a day, ruins my recordings, ruins my tivo transfers to my tivo desktop, and I am ready to sell it.

I love my DVD burner unit, but since I have set up my home network (in March), I find that I hardly ever use it to burn dvds (just transfer them to my PC or laptop), and we hardly ever use the DVD player to play dvd's (not like I don't have 6 other dvd players, one actually not part of a computer (not a normal player as we sold that when we got our new tivo and sold our series 2 tivo as well), but a portable 7 inch LCD screen player that can hook up easily (oh, and I had forgotten about our 2 xboxes we own as well, both with the dvd kit/ remotes, heh).

But while I do wish we had a dual tuner (bought a tv tuner with MCE remote kit just to be able to record/watch a second show now that fall programs are starting up again), I don't want to do through the hassle of trying to find someone to buy my very expensive unit.

Anyone that has another dvd player laying around and has a home network with a dvd burner available on the computer, I would just suggect getting Sonic's My DVD (studio) 8 (or whatever upgrade they are now at) which is specifically made to work with the .tivo file extension and costs about $80 maybe? Buy the dual tuner tivo, get the software and you can still burn to dvd anything you want... And with the home network, you can always store your programs on your pc and just transfer back to the tivo the one(s) you may want to watch on your TV screen, if you don't like to watch tv/movies on your computer. Me, I love to watch all my movies and some tv show on my laptop as it has a nice LCD widescreen and we just have a cr*ppy 27inch CRT TV in the livingroom...

20. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    sonic is only windows, right?

Were you kidding? the laptop screen is better for watching than a 27" tv? Wow!