Humax Tivo + FIOS STB

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sydbarrett74, Aug 15, 2007.

1. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Hi all,
    I've got a Humax Tivo Series2 and a Motorola STB that comes with my Verizon FIOS TV service. From what I've read in various posts, I know I have to use a serial control cable between the Tivo and STB, but what about the actual cable feed? Before when I just had Comcast, I had it like this:

cable feed -> tivo -> TV

Now would I have to do this?

cable feed -> STB -> tivo -> TV

2. bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    You will definitely be able to control the box with the IR blasters. The Serial Control used to work for me then stopped working suddenly. I've seen posts since that have said that Serial has been enabled/re-enabled for them, but I'm continuing to use the IR blasters (haven't seen a real reason to try to change back yet -- the IR blasters are fine for now -- it is my second Tivo, anyways).

i would recommend:

coaxial cable feed -> STB -> S-video & audio -> Tivo -> S-Video (or Component Video if you have a Humax DVD unit) & audio -> TV

3. sydbarrett74

sydbarrett74 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    If my TV doesn't have any S-video or component ports, can I just use the RCA composite (Red/White/Yellow) cables I've been using? Of course I guess I'd have to get another pair to go from the STB to the Tivo. However, with the IR Blaster, is the Tivo able to get all the 'cable feed' information it needs in lieu of a coax cable between the STB and Tivo?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can use the RCA composite video, regardless of the video in on the TiVo. I have S-video and audio from my satellite receiver to the TiVo, and composite to my A/V switcher (RF to the TV).