HUMAX Tivo DRT800 and HDTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buaidhnobas24, Aug 18, 2007.

1. buaidhnobas24

buaidhnobas24 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Okay, so I'm doing this for my girlfriend who doesn't want to do any research. She currently owns a Humax DRT800 Tivo box. She wants to upgrade her tv from a regular tube to a HD. She doesn't use a cable box to get cable. She runs the wire from the wall straight to her Tivo and then to the tv.
    My question is, Will the Tivo still work and record hd programming, or is she going to have to upgrade to a HDTivo?
    As you can tell, I don't know too much about this stuff either. But I have less pride than her.
    Thanks for every(any)one's help.
    -d

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Welcome!

The DRT800 won't do HD, so you'll have to upgrade. The two Tivo models are the Series 3 and the TivoHD - there's a whole forum here dedicated to them, so you should be able to find anything you are interested in. There isn't any HD Tivo that does DVD burning, so if she is interested in using the DVD burning she'll have to keep the DRT800.

Hope this helps,
    Ryan

3. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    She will be able to view SD material on her HDTV with her current setup. If the new TV is over 30" it won't look that good though. If she wants HD she will have to get an HD Tivo as GoHokies! said. Try it with the existing setup and if she doesn't like it, get the HD box.

4. buaidhnobas24

buaidhnobas24 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Thanks for the info!
    I'll let her know.