Humax Playing DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by TiVoBug, Mar 30, 2006.

1. TiVoBug

TiVoBug New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

I just got a Humax DRT-800 from Weaknees, and it's been great. I've successfully burned a DVD, and I'm thrilled. However, last night, I tried to play my first DVD, but the picture was intermittant. Most of the time, it was blue-screen. Sound was fine and continuous, but the picture would flick on for 10-20 seconds, and then off for 30-50, then on, then off, etc. I understand the DVD player uses progressive scan, which I know nothing about. Could this be that my TV is too old to handle that (it was bought in 1998 or 1999)? Or is this a flaw in the DVD player? There didn't seem to be many setting options that could be causing the problem.

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Are you by any chance feeding the output through your VCR before going to the TV? Macrovision might be causing problems with the video signal.

3. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    That's what I was thinking as well, the player is going thru a VCR and the macrovision is interfering.

That blue screen you are getting, does it have tivo info on it and a tivo logo or is it blank just blue?

The no signal screen as far as I know is the only tivo screen that is blue. But most all vcr's use a blue screen alot.

4. TiVoBug

TiVoBug New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You guys hit the nail on the head. I'd been planning on trying different cables and configurations when the progressive scan idea proved incorrect - but TiVo into the TV, bypassing the VCR fixes the problem! Thanks!

5. TiVoBug

TiVoBug New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Seattle, WA

Advertisements

Only problem now is how I watch videos - there are still plenty of old movies not available on DVD. I had the configuration recommended by TiVo.

6. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Assuming your TV has both RF and Composite Video inputs (RCA) use AV cables for the Tivo and use RF for the VCR

or

Purchase an AV switch box, various choices available from Radio shack, Best Buy, Circuit city etc. Run AV cables from both Tivo and VCR to switch box and then into TV.

Also as you have the Humax which always passes through the incoming RF signal you can connect RF out from the Humax to RF in on the VCR so you can watch Live TV or record a second show through the VCR while recording with Tivo