Humax & HD direct box question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by antpeople, Jul 23, 2007.

1. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Sorry, I searched the other threads for answers, but I am a novice and need some help.

I have a Humax with DVD and lifetime sub. (So, I keep that) and just got a HD tv. I have direct TV (starting to think, they don't like me anymore) I just had them come out and put a 5 LBN dish up and got a HD box. They told me it would all work together....but the contractor guy kind of sucked and now I have lost signal to my 1st tv (still running a S1 sony on that one) and can't use my TIVO on my second TV the HD.

Can I change the inputs to have one showing HD TV live and one to show live or recordableTV through the TIVO ( I know it won't be HD).

Hope this question is in the right place!!

Thanks!!

- julie

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    My box is TIVO brand - it's has the lifetimemember ship. So I was trying to make the stand alone TIVO work with a stand alone Direct TV HD box work together.

I will also check out the other forum you listed!

Thanks.

Julie

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    What DirecTV HD receiver do you have? If it is a standalone receiver (not a DVR) then your standalone TiVo may be able to control it. However, you can't record HD on the Humax. So use the high def outputs (component or HDMI) on the DirecTV HD receiver to view HD on the TV and the composite (red/white/yellow) from the DirecTV receiver to the TiVo to record SD. The the TiVo outputs go to another set of inputs on the TV.

5. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    I can't seem to register on the DBS forum!!

So, has anyone had any luck getting stand alone TIVOs to work with HD Direct TV boxes?

6. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Its the H20 receiver. The contractor did hook up the HDMI. On the 1st input. The 3rd & 4th input show my TIVO, but they can't seem to get a feed.

I don't see that a S cable was used and was wondering if that might help me program the remotes.

It would be fine with me if I had to switch inputs to watch live HD and then switch to use and watch non-HD with the TIVO.

thanks - julie

7. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Checking inputs and outputs now!! Thanks

- julie

8. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Well - thanks - some success. My tivo is working and changing channels and recording. Thats a great first step...now to see if I can watch HD on a different input when I am recording on TIVO!!

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The H20 only has one tuner, so whatever the TiVo is recording you will also be watching.

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    As JimSpence has said, you only have One Tuner with the H20. So you can watch HD TV with the unit, or you can record SD with your Tivo unit and later watch in SD.

You cannot record One Show in SD, while watching another in HD. You need Two Tuners to do this.

11. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Actually - I do have the old tuner. It works. So, maybe I need to see if it would be worth it to try something like that.