Humax DVR w/burner, will the DVD's play on a Mac?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by dapetrun, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 22
    dapetrun

dapetrun New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    To all those Mac enthusiasts out there, if I decide to purchase the Humax DVR with the DVD burner will those TV shows recorded by the DVR and later burned to a DVD be able to be viewed on a Mac (specifically a PowerBook)? Thanks for any opinions but I'm looking for proven facts here because of the significant $ it will cost me.

2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 22
    gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Yes.
    I'm watching one right now on a Powerbook.

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 22
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    The format of the data written to the disk will be 100% compatible with the power Mac, the only issue could be physical incompatibilities between the media you use and the DVD drive you're trying to play the disk on. DVD-R media is most likely to be compatible with other drives. If you have problems, try a different brand.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 22
    rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I have problems wiht mine playing discs sometimes where the DVD Player will crash but it depends on the brand of media and how the mac is feeling at the moment I think. Its moody.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #5 of 22
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Hadn't thought about doing this, but I just took a DVD burned in our Humax and popped into our iBook.

The disc showed up in the finder... with a folder labeled Video_TS and a bunch of cryptically named docs inside. Double-clicking any of them results in an error message or rather a prompt indicating that it doesn't know which application to play the file!

So, it looks to be more complicated than expected. Then I read a previous post that mentioned DVD Player. I launched it. And got an oddball message about needing to set the Region! With a pull down menu of choices (Region 1, Region 2, etc.--realy helpful Apple!) and a comment, a warning, a threat actually that one can only do this 5 times! Bizarre!

Then I clicked the Select Region button figuring it would give me a world map or something... instead, it happily reported Region set (wait! I didn't choose one) and launched itself, with the TiVo DVD screen coming up full screen! Amazing!

And then I selected a movie to play and it did so! Alas, there was no easy way to returning to the dock (which had been made invisible). I tried the command key for hiding/showing dock, no go, tried escape, but that simply restarted the movie, tried space bar (in other words all the old Mac tricks). Finally had to quit the Player.

There must be a way of doing a background play or small window play, I'll have to check that out. (Ah, discovered that the menu bar becomes visible when one move the pointer--invisible-- to the top of the screen, an old trick I had forgotten about. And sure enough, one can exit full screen mode.)

Of course, ultimately this is not something I plan on doing much if at all. I'd rather watch the movie on a TV!

6. Jan 7, 2006 #6 of 22
    TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    OTOH, I just tried a DVD-RW disc and it wasn't recognized by the DVD Player even though it shows up fine in the finder!

Geesh! Just when I thought this would be easy... any work arounds on this problem?

Oh, and a P.S. on my previous post... the pointer is visible (at least for a while).

7. Jerry®

Jerry® TiVOHNOYOUDIDN'T

Jan 25, 2006
    Macomb, IL
    TDK-DVD-RW do not seem to be compatible with Macs. However, the disc and the TS_FOLDER show up on the desktop. I used Mplayer to open the TS_ folder and it played just fine. I've got an iMac G5 w/DL DVD-R/RW running 10.4.4.

Also - the TDK DVD-RW played fine in my standalone Magnavox DVD player.

8. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    What is Mplayer? And do you think this is restricted to TDKs or is a general problem with DVD-RWs recorded on TiVos?

And if Mplayer can do it, why not Apple's own DVD player?

9. Feb 1, 2006 #9 of 22
    Jerry®

Jerry® TiVOHNOYOUDIDN'T

Jan 25, 2006
    Macomb, IL
    Not sure why the TDK DVD-RW didn't play in my superdrive. Mplayer is kinda like quicktime player except it supports a huge amount of formats. You can find it at macupdate or versiontracker for free.

10. Jerry®

Jerry® TiVOHNOYOUDIDN'T

Jan 25, 2006
    Macomb, IL
    One more message until I can post a URL

11. Jerry®

Jerry® TiVOHNOYOUDIDN'T

Jan 25, 2006
    Macomb, IL
  12. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Have you tried another brand DVD-RW?

Thanks for the link to Mplayer. I'll check it out.

13. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I burned a DVD-R (Verbatim) on my Humax 80-hour and it played perfectly on my PowerBook. In general, there's no reason why it wouldn't/shouldn't, though an older DVD drive may have trouble with burned media (less likely on computers, but definitely true with DVD Players)

If Apple's DVD Player is not launching automatically when you insert a video DVD, take a look in System Preferences --> CDs & DVDs. There's an option "When you insert a Video DVD" that should be set to "Open DVD Player". You may have it set to "Ignore" or open another application (possibly one that no longer exists).

You can also have DVD Player open a disc manually. I've seen this necessary with some, shall we say "archived" media? Launch DVD Player and then from the File menu select Open DVD Media. Browse for the video_ts folder, and hit Open.

Region Settings are an unfortunate piece of paranoia from the movie industry. They wanted more control over distribution of video throughout the world, so they broke the world up into 6 regions. Usually its not an issue - all the DVDs you buy in the US will be Region 1. But, lets say there's some foreign film you want to see that isn't released in US/Canada. Its difficult to get a DVD from another region and play it on your own DVD player (there are hacks available, but I'm not going into that here). There's a good chunk of info about DVD Regions, and DVDs in general here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region

MPlayer and VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) are good alternative media players if you want to play with something else. VLC is extremely versatile in what it can play and what it can do - it can even be used to stream media over a network or the Internet. I use it to stream y100rocks.com through my home computer to get around my office firewall ;-}

14. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks for the wonderfully detailed response. That clarifies a lot for me. Appreciate it.

15. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I'm good at giving overly-worded explanations, usually boring the audience by the end...

glad you found my post useful (c:

16. mike1700

mike1700 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Just found this forum after posting in coffeehouse.
    Im finally getting ready to join the tivo world!! After much research im gonna buy the toshiba unit. I was gonna buy a panasonic dvr then the stand alone tivo unit.
    Was told that the combo units can burn a 1 hr tv show in 15 minutes.
    Thats abig plus . But then found out that those dvds wont play on macs.
    There seems to be sum answers to those problems here.
    But should i buy the toshiba or just the stand alone unit??
    Im so undecided
    I will be watching many dvds in my mac.
    thanks so much

17. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    mike - the ones that dont play on macs seem to be brand specific or user specific issues. (And issues with Apples DVDplayer.app) I have no problems playing the discs i burn on my mac. i have ripped a few and watched some while chillin on the Mini with no problems.

18. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    i found your other post first, so i responded there.

i've burned 2 DVDs with my Humax, and my PowerBook plays them fine.

For the record, I used Verbatim DVD-R media

19. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It seems it's the DVD-RWs that give the Apple DVD Player the fits... for those, people recommended MPlayer.

So, don't let this hold you back; you'll love the TiVo and you will be able to watch things on your Mac!

20. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    ah interesting point; I have yet to try a -RW disc

Hopefully I'll remember to try that, I think one came with my TiVo