Humax DVR problem with Wireless B adapter and N router?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by slyde01, Jan 26, 2011.

1. slyde01

slyde01 New Member

Jan 26, 2011

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I'm having an issue with my Humax Series 2 dvr and im hoping someone can help me out.

Way back when i got it years ago, i had a wireless B router, so at the time i bought a Linksys wireless b adapter to use with my Humax.

A few years ago, i upgraded to a wireless N router, and i have not had any issues with either the router or my dvr.

Then last week, my linksys N router died on me, so i went out and got the latest cisco-linksys wireless N.

Since then, my DVR has been unable to recognize my router. It is in the next room as my router, but it says the signal is weak.

Worse, when i attempt to have the Humax find all available internet connections so i can reconnect the Humax to my new router with its new username/pw, the Humax reports that no valid internet connections can be found. My network doesnt come up on the list :(

My questions are:
    1) is it possible that my OLD wireless B adapter just doesnt work anymore with the latest iteration of my N router?

and

2) If i need to buy a new adaptor, can the older HUmax system handle a wireless N router, or do i need to go to a G or B?

thanks in advance guys...

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Check your new router and make sure that wireless B support is turned ON. Most likely it is OFF by default. That will probably get you going, although it might slow down other N devices on your home wireless network a bit when the TiVo is using it.

If that matters to you, then getting the TiVo Brand wireless G adapter that will plug and play in your DVR could help, or getting a USB to Ethernet adapter, see www.tivo.com/adapters, and a wireless N bridge, such as the TiVo wireless N "adapter" will work too, but at more cost. Both of these last two options will also speed up your DVR for network and TiVoToGo operations.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Your new router could have a mixed wireless setting and make sure its set to 2.4 gHz and not 5.8 gHz.

4. slyde01

slyde01 New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    thanks mark.

i am unable to see that link here at work but ill check it out when i get home.

1 question tho.... i am not sure what a bridge is. I had hoped i could just go out and buy a linksys wireless n adaptor and that it would work... is that not possible?

5. slyde01

slyde01 New Member

Jan 26, 2011

Advertisements

ah, you may be on to something. the new router i have is a dual band. will my humax not work on both bands?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Wireless B & G are on 2.4 gHz frequency while N is on 5.8 gHz.

The new Tivo Wireless N adapter will only work on a Series 3/HD/XL or Premier. It connects to the ethernet port instead of the USB.

7. slyde01

slyde01 New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    ah ok, i think we're getting somewhere :)

so it looks like the tivo wireless 9 wont work for my old Humax, but would a linksys wireless n?

my only other confusion is how my ORIGINAL wireless n worked fine with my humax if N is on 5.8. i dont recall ever adjusting a setting on it.

8. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Many new wireless N routers work on BOTH 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands. Both wireless G and wireless B work ONLY on the 2.4GHz band. You were being told to make sure that the mixed mode is turned on and that the 2.4GHz band is also turned on (in case it is off right now). So your original router was providing N service on the 2.4GHz band and it worked fine. This new one should too once it is configured correctly. Since it is a Dual band router, I suggest you configure the 2.4GHz band for mixed B/G modes and the 5GHz for N with a different SSID. Then you can connect N equipment and slower B and G equipment won't slow the N stuff down.

The new TiVo wireless N adapter is not a USB device, it connects to the DVR using an Ethernet cable instead. A wireless bridge is a device that connects to wireless on one side and Ethernet on the other, so the TiVo N adapter is also a bridge, they don't just don't call it that in their marketing materials.

I am pretty sure the linksys wireless N adapter is also a bridge and also connects via Ethernet instead of USB. Even if it is a USB device, it won't work with your TiVo DVR since the DVR does not have a driver for it built into the operating system.

So for your Humax TiVo DVR, you will need a USB to Ethernet adapter for which the DVR already has driver support. That is the list I linked you to. Once you have that, you can get ANY brand wireless N to Ethernet bridge and plug it into the USB to Ethernet adapter.

All modern TiVo DVRs have an Ethernet port built in and so the extra step to convert to USB is not needed for them. It is only us folk with our Dinosour units that need to think about these details.

9. slyde01

slyde01 New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    thanks for the thourough replies, mark.

when i got home last night i DID check my new router's configuration, and it certainly seemed to imply that i was running on the 2.4 band, which gets me confused as to why its not working. Although it sounds like there is a setting to make it b/g, and i wasnt able to find it last night. I'll have to dig around more.