1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humax DVD without Tivo service

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by palmerct, Feb 26, 2007.

1. palmerct

palmerct New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    I have a Humax 800 with DVD burner that I no longer use since switching to the DISH network and its DVR. Is it possible to hook it up and get some use out of it without having to subscribe to the Tivo service again. I do not really want another $10-12 charge per month on top of current DISH charges but I do miss the DVD burning and wireless network features. I don't really want to sell it on eBay since they're not going for much there and want to hedge my bets in case I end up switching back to Comcast or maybe Verizon.

2. ti_vorevolution

ti_vorevolution New Member

Feb 26, 2007
  3. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    TiVo Basic service is a complimentary version of the TiVo service available only on DVD integrated models from Toshiba and Pioneer.

Notice this specifical does not mention Humax units? They do not have TiVo Basic. You stand corrected.

4. palmerct

palmerct New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    I clicked on the link you mentioned and only see a page about:
    "What Is the Difference between TiVo Basic and TiVo Plus?"

I don't see anything relating to my Humax DRT-800. Specifically, I was looking for info on using the Humax without any TiVo service.

thanks.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    As the second reply indicated, the Humax DVD TiVos do NOT work without service. (You might be able to still play old recordings. Don't know about then burning those old recordings to disc. Even that might be disabled without TiVo service.)

6. Mar 1, 2007 #6 of 14
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can't burn anything or record anything on an un-stb Humax DVD TiVo. You can use it to watch trick TV and watch any DVD, but that it. Free Lifetime basic is not an option for any Humax TiVo.

7. Mar 1, 2007 #7 of 14
    ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    People REALLY REALLY need to stop calling "Free Basic" "Free Basic Lifetime". Te Lifetime is misleading, a misnomer in a sense, and leads to ebay fraud!

8. Mar 5, 2007 #8 of 14
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I agree; but what do we call basic service on some TiVos (not Humax) as compared to Lifetime Service service on all TiVos. The basic service is for the lifetime of the TiVo..it is confusing to many people.

9. Mar 6, 2007 #9 of 14
    gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What should it be called? WHAT TIVO CALLS IT!!! "TiVo Basic".

That's what it is, officially, and that's what it should be called by anyone who isn't trying to scam some unsuspecting buyer.

10. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

I never said it was.

I said the opposite.

I said Humax machines require service to work, and that without it you can only watch old recordings.

Even being able to burn discs from those recordings was said to be ONLY a maybe about which I wasn't sure.

As you point out, they can also be used to pause live TV, and apparently watch DVDs. (Which sort of makes sense...that's not a TiVo service.)

11. Flathed

Flathed New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    palmerct, supposedly there is one good thing about the Humax DVD, I've heard it has been "Grandfathered" so you can get the Lifetime Plus for $299. If you do move to Cable, you can move the Tivo as well. If you like the Tivo over the other PVR's, the $299 might be worth it, your call.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I wish that TiVo would offer a free lifetime transfer for Series 2 boxes, so that I could transfer the lifetime on my Toshiba Series 2 to a new box and then fall back to TiVo Basic on my Series 2, still using it . . . . ;)

13. miketx

miketx Member

Sep 22, 2005
    What do you use it for? I have a lifetime Humax...still functional, but can't think of a reason to use it. Wish I had snagged the latest deal that Tivo failed to email me about.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Believe it or not, still using it as a full DVR (in conjunction with an analog-digital OTA signal converter box)--works must fine. Plus, as a DVD player.

As to a TiVo deal, do make sure that your box connects to TiVo periodically and is "active"--various TiVo customer reps. suggested that there could be a deal in the future. Make sure that TiVo has your email and check here (in case a TiVo email never reaches you).