Humax dvd & network questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Bryanw20, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Bryanw20

Bryanw20 New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Oklahoma City
    Hate to ask such basic questions, but a search didn't help, everything was 6 months old. Just bought a humax 80hr w/dvdr to replace my bedroom S1 dying Tivo. I haven't paid close attention to Tivo's updates but skimming my newsletters and seeing tech articles every once in while I knew S2 Tivo's were networkable, and I assumed this was built in, not an accessory. So before I buy a $30 adapter what can I do with this unit and a broadband connection, but no other S2's in the house?

I've been reading a little about TTG thinking this would be good for my sister in law who bought an Archos device a few months back, and while Tivo was on sale thought she might want to get one too. But reading on Tivo's site Humax DVDr's aren't able to use TTG. Is this true? Mine updated in a call or 2 to version 7.2 something, I got cool new menu options, and a Media Key, but since I don't have it networked yet, I don't know what I can do with it.

I don't plan on using the DVDr much, or even TTG as I have a MCE with a HD tuner, so I record most shows I want to watch in HD there, and easily edit and transfer those shows to a laptop for shows on the go, so this feature doesn't interest me much, but I think I might like some broadband features, if I knew what all I could do, if anything with mine.

TIA

2. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    TTG works on all stand alone Series 2 boxes, including DVD recorder models. The Tivo support page for TTG hasn't been updated in a long time.

3. Bryanw20

Bryanw20 New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Oklahoma City
    Cool, so what other neat thingys can I do if I get an adapter?

4. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
  5. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Apart from the ability to record two shows at once and use TTG to be able to watch it on MCE. Sounds like the most useful feature for you would be the ability to watch MPG's created on the MCE in the bedroom on the Tivo.