Humax DRT800 recording failure

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by qcpw256, Apr 26, 2009.

1. qcpw256

qcpw256 Budweiser#8

Jun 17, 2005
    Carol...

Advertisements

I own two Humax DRT800 and for the most part they work great. However, one of them is having problems recording DVD discs.

I can start the recording process but by the time it goes to finalize the disc it fails? I thought it could be the brand of disc but the Sony discs work on one tivo unit and not the other.

Any ideas of what I might do next?

2. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Have you cleaned the lenses and such in the unit? Or perhaps a lot of dust built up inside causing interference? Any indication your hard drive is going out (not sure whether this would be related or not)? The blank DVD's are clean with no scratches etc....

Sorry, just guesses here. Hope you can work it out.

3. chakk

chakk New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    I've seen a post somewhere in a forum on weaknees.com that this problem can be due to a DVD recording drive beginning to fail. They offer replacement drives -- either installed by the owner or by weaknees techs if you mail your entire Tivo box to them -- for around $100.

I would agree with the suggestion to attempt --- gently --- to clean the drive of accumulated dust before going the drive replacement route.

4. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I've run into this in the past, too. It has always been a problem of a particular show that can't be burned to a DVD. (For some reason a copy protection flag gets thrown or something kerflooey happens when the show was originally recorded.)

It will take some time to figure out which show is the offending one, which is one of the reasons we always use DVD-RW discs now. If a burn fails, just try again w/o one of the shows!

You certainly should try that before any taking any drastic or expensive actions!

5. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego

Advertisements

That's been my experience also... something wrong with a particular file. Definitely try burning a different show... I bet it works.

6. Hmx800Guy

Hmx800Guy New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I also have had dvd burn failures from time to time. Sometimes it really is a particular file that won't burn as TivoEvans points out. Leave it out and the disc burns fine. Other times I've been told to make sure that your Tivo software is current. And other times I 've been told to reset the Tivo with a power cycle (off then back on again). Both of these last items cleared up the burn problem I had at the time. Nowadays I rarely get a burn failure unless it is due to a problem file.

good luck!