Humax DRT800 Owner's Club

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by deputydog95, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1 of 962
    deputydog95

deputydog95 Ads? What R they?

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    I though I might post a thread on here for Humax owners, since we don't have our own forum. Might be nice to have a single thread identifying owners, problems, and tricks/solutions related to our unit. I've seen a lot of different posts on here involving Humax specific issues, so why don't we try and get them all in one place to make it easier for everybody. Post up if you got a Humax DVD :)

2. Nov 23, 2004 #2 of 962
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just purchased a 400GB Seagate drive to install into my DRT-800! A 440 Hour Humax DRT-800! ! ! ! I might end up putting it on ebay to help offset some of my previous TiVo expenses. Any idea what this would fetch on the open market? no upgraded humax DRT's on ebay to compare with.

3. Nov 23, 2004 #3 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Do you have more than one humax? why would you want to get rid of it so soon after upgrading it. go to weekknees and see what they are selling their upgraded humax's for. i think their most expensive one was around $800. i don't rememeber how many hours it was though.

4. Nov 23, 2004 #4 of 962
    d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    You might have a little difficulty getting the forum owner and moderators convinced of creating a specific forum for a specific model. I think you would find much wider support for a specific forum setup for discussion for all TiVo based units with a DVD reader/recorder (Pioneer's, Toshiba's, and Humax's).

That said, it appears that Humax has the advantage in terms of shear marketing support and retail sales deployment. That said, the majority of folks participating in a given forum would be probably be Humax owners.

5. Nov 23, 2004 #5 of 962
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got it from Best Buy a few weeks ago while they had that pricing glitch. Got it for $200 after rebate. Figured I would try it out for a few months, upgrade it and either keep it if I loved it or sell it and make a few bucks. I think its a great unit, but if I could score $800 for it, then its sold!

6. Nov 23, 2004 #6 of 962
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just checked out weakknees and they carry a 350 hour DRT-800 for $800 after a $100 rebate.

My unit would have 33% more recording capacity and no $100 rebate to deal with. I'm just not sure eBay is the right place for me to sell it right now. There are no upgraded units on eBay for me to research the price.

7. Nov 23, 2004 #7 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    A Tivo/DVD burner forum would be great. I emailed the forum a couple days ago about exactly that. I would be fine with them lumping them all together. I got a response saying that they had already had numerous requests for such a forum and they are considering it. They already have a HD tivo forum. I figured something like this would be perfect until they decide to do so.

8. Nov 23, 2004 #8 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    By the way, i'm in the process of burning a test dvd using sony's dvd-rw media. the speed was not listed on the box, but it seems to be burning at 4x. so far so good. the humax at least recognized it. i'll post the results after i do a test play.

9. Nov 24, 2004 #9 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Success. The sony media worked great. No probs at all. A little pricey at almost $2.20 each for their dvd-rw's. But they work.

10. Nov 24, 2004 #10 of 962
    Greenwing

Greenwing New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    NC, USA
    ?...So you are saying the HUMAX using will record at higher than 1x as has been reported earlier in other threads? I think the same issue was mentioned about the toshiba units...All only been able to record at 1x...I thought the pioneer was the only unit that did high speed dubbing...(from reading other posts, as I have none of these units myself to try it on)...

11. Nov 24, 2004 #11 of 962
    JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is it possible for the dvd burner to be flashed to a higher firmware during a software download? Therefor giving it higher recording speed?

12. Nov 24, 2004 #12 of 962
    hoffcs

hoffcs New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Boca
    Good idea for a forum on this.

I have basic model 2 on regular cable. When I buy a Humax how does my lifetime membership transfer to the new box?

If I choose to keep the old unit in operation what is the cost of an second lifetime membership? Do they reduce price of second lifetime memberships as they do with the $6.95/month charge they advertise?

13. Nov 24, 2004 #13 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Your lifetime membership does not transfer to the new box. I just found that out the hard way. I will no longer do lifetime's as the technolgy changes too fast and I know that I will not keep these units longer than two years. Maybe when they come out with the Tivo HD DVD burner unit, I will consider it... That's about all I really want in a reasobably priced package. Although I don't see how they will be able to get much programming on DVD with the HD shows unless they do a ton of compression.

Yes, they do reduce the price of the monthly if you already have a Tivo in your household. That's exactly what I did.

As far as the speed, I can take four hours worth of programming and burn it in less than hour. I'm not sure what speed it's burning at, but it is burning it four times faster than real time. That includes prepping and erasing the disc.

The Sony DVD-RW media seems to be excellent. There's definately cheaper stuff out there, but I figure if you're going to use the RW media over and over, you might as well get something quality you can count on.

I haven't heard anything about the firmware being upgradeable. I'm sure it's possible. Four times faster than real time is fine for me though. BTW, that's recording using medium quality tivo shows.

14. Nov 24, 2004 #14 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Three small issues I've noticed with this unit so far.

One, the left side of the LCD display (Pic of the CD and some writing around it) stays very dimly lit, even when the display if off. Not a big deal. Maybe as the LCD burns in some, it will go away. You only notice it when you're up close.

When you play back a burnt cd on my laptop, the opening tivo menu seems to shake slightly. I also have noticed this during playback where this stationary text in the show. Much more noticeable during the animated tivo top menu on the disc though.

I think the tuner quality is worse than my series 2. I don't exept much out of my tivo, especially when recording because I only use medium for the sake of space. However when you flip between tivo and the cable box, the cable box picture is much clearer. I am only using S-video connections, but that's the way my series 2 was setup as well. I use the cable box when watching HD or my designated DVD player for movies. Kind of disspointing that the image is a little crappy compared to the cable box's picture. I am running a splitter from the cable box, with a cable going to the Tivo and another going to the Tivo (so I can watch something else while recording), but's a pretty expensive Monster brand splitter and it doesn't seem to affect the cable's picture.

Oh well, I still love this thing :)

15. Nov 24, 2004 #15 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    By the way, if you've got a Humax, post that you've got one. I figure if we get enough activity on here, maybe we can a DVD burner tivo forum.

16. Nov 24, 2004 #16 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    One other thing, I have heard of issues with MRV and the Humax. No probs at all. Got it going last night. Have not tried to burn a transferred show. I was told that it was not possible.

17. Nov 24, 2004 #17 of 962
    flymhi

flymhi TiVoManiac

Nov 21, 2004
    Mile Hi City
    deputydog,

I have the DRT-800 as well and noticed a setting for the display (Off, dim, & bright). Have you tried to change this setting?

I also use an expensive 3-way splitter at the wall. I have not noticed any signal difference between the cable direct and TiVo signals.
    1) feeds the Cable box ---> to Tivo---> TV
    **I use component feeds for the link between the cable box, TiVo, and TV.**
    2) feeds the TV directly for wacthing other channels while recording
    3) feeds the VCR for taping alternate shows---> TV

I also use a MA111 wireless usb adapter for HMO and love it.

I have no complaints yet...

Flymhi:D

18. Nov 24, 2004 #18 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Yep, tried low, high, and off. Part of the displays stays very dimly lit. I posted about this before on another thread and someone else had the same issue.

Where is your splitter located in your setup?

Mine actually goes through a cable surge protection device (which probably degrades it some), into the cable box, out of the cable box to the splitter, from the splitter to the Tivo and the Television.

I am only using S-video cables. I have a dedicated DVD player and cable box using components. I only use the Tivo for taping and burning. I watch live tv (which isn't often and usually only the HD channels) through the cable box. I was told there is no advantage to using components on the Tivo if you are not using it to play DVD's. It will downgrade the signal as it goes through the component cables.

I am also wireless. Belkin 54g network with Linksys B adapters for the Tivos?

Talked to Tivo today. No word on the horizon for G networking.

19. Nov 24, 2004 #19 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    FLM: Try switching channels back to back and let me know what you see. I didn't really notice the difference until I did a quick swap between two channels.

20. Nov 24, 2004 #20 of 962
    deputydog95

Jul 10, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    I take back what I said.

Cable feed to Cable surge protector.
    Cable surge prot. to splitter.
    Splitter to Cable box.
    Splitter to TV
    Svideo cable to Tivo input.

Doesn't seem like I could do much better than that.