HUMAX DRT 800 Issues

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jonhunt, Jan 2, 2006.

1. jonhunt

jonhunt New Member

Jan 1, 2006

Advertisements

I have just purchased this unit and I have two issues. One is the noise, which I assume is from the hard drive. It is so loud that it sometimes disturbs our sleep. Has anyone had any this problem and found a way to resolve it? The issue issue is that I can't play the DVDs on other machines. I have learned that RW disks don't have the reflectivity of single use disks and that may be the problem. One forum respondee asked if I had "Closed" the disk, but didn't explain what that meant. I haven't yet tried playing back a disk recorded on single use media.
    Thanks.

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    By 'closed' I bet they meant 'finalized', and the Humax does that automatically every time it burns a disc, so you don't have to worry about it.

3. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Noise with TiVos can be a big problem, although our Humax was the quietest TiVo we've ever had. I'm sensitive to the noise at night... couldn't stand the Toshiba SD-H400, the Humax usually is OK, but it's still not great.

Here are some solutions (short of moving the unit to another room and either cabling it from there or A/V wirelessly sending its picture to the bedroom).

1) Turn off Suggestions recording.

2) Switch Live TV to a channel you don't get.

Doing both things will eliminate the hard drive recording noises as it won't be recording! Of course, once it starts recording something you've set up, it will stay on the channel and do its 30 minute live recording.

3) Don't record shows overnight and do #s 1 & 2. (Buy a 2nd TiVo for the family room to record those middle of the sleep hour shows.)

4) Put the unit inside of an enclosure--with plenty of breathing room. You can either use an infrared extender from the box to outside so you can use the remote, or try a glass doored TV/VCR enclosure unit--the remote will work through that.

5) Wear ear plugs... you only need one, the exposed ear... you can find soft squishy plugs at most drugstores.

6) Some have put foam or books on their units (I did that with ours--and it stopped much of the high-pitched whirring sound that drives me bonkers).

7) Give up and move it to another room and then cable the unit back into your bedroom. You can then record whatever you want during the night.

Let us know if any of those help you.

4. bebw

bebw Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Cincinnati
    Put something even noisier in the room but that is pleasant to hear.
    I like the sound of a fan, but hard to take in the winter - brrr! In the winter, I have a room air cleaner that has a nice smooth air movement noise. Put the pleasant noise maker nearer to your bed and the Tivo as far away as possible.
    I don't know if it would drowned out Tivo noise as I don't have Tivo in my bedroom, yet.
    As a worrywart myself, only drawback is I'm afraid I will not hear a cat burglar, but it drowns out unexpected street noises like a barking dog, etc.
    I guess get a burglar alarm if you are going to have a noisey 'white noise' bedroom.