Humax and Pilips 5353c

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mjohn, May 1, 2006.

1. mjohn

mjohn New Member

May 1, 2006
    Okay first post went to cyber purgatory ... I have a Philips 5353c sat receiver (no serial cable port) that was supplied with my Directv ... and a Humax drt800 with lifetime and those IR sensors will not program period ... had Humax on the phone and Directv trying and they surmised it was not compatible, which on the list here says it may not be ... so do I need another receiver??? or is there something I've missed and if so which one should I consider? should I look for a used one on ebay or what ... any suggestions would be appreciated ... thanx, MJ

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    If you're looking at a list provided by Humax or TiVo that says the Humax TiVo might not be able to control that particular DirecTV box, then the info is right there for you.

You may be able to sell your DirecTV box on eBay or elsewhere, and get one that the TiVo CAN for sure control.

Since you have the list, you might be able to start from there...

PS
    Have you tried EVERYTHING? Does the Humax TiVo allow you to change the speed the IR pulses are generated at? Does it have other possible code sets that you might try with that Direct box? Could you maybe just need a new IR emitter cord? (Are you sure your current one is giving off IR pulses? You ARE using an IR emitter on a cord, plugged into your Humax and with its emitter sitting over the Direct box's IR sensor, right?)

3. mjohn

mjohn New Member

May 1, 2006
    The list I was referring to was here on this site ... and yup can change speeds and codes and tried a zillion so I know the IR sensors work ... have had Philips on the phone too trying every location, top and bottom, both on top, here there etc ... being new to Tivo have no idea if there are better or worse boxes ... ebay has lots some new some used and don't want to get another box that won't work ... and the serial port hook up Humax calls for if the IR cables don't work seems like the best solution but tough to find one that specifically says it has it ... so what do you think ... thanx for the reply ... MJ

4. Olde Fortran

Olde Fortran New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Did you see ccwf's reply to your first post?

5. mjohn

mjohn New Member

May 1, 2006
    Yes thanks fortran did see the reply to the first post and I said in my first post I did see the list here and saw my box should work but was unreliable ... so am I faced with getting a new box? does anyone know if I have to have the serail port and any suggestions on which boxes on the compatible list? thanx, MJ