Humans: Season One Thread (2015) **S1 Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Aug 3, 2015 #1 of 57
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Very enjoyable show that needs a place to discuss each week. But the thread creator had an accident, spilled coffee in his lap :D, and hence this need for a season thread. Spoilers allowed up to any episode that has aired in the US on AMC.

At the time of this post, there have been six episodes aired, out of eight. Humans has been renewed for a second season.

BTW, there are a few episode threads:

Pilot
    S1E2
    S1E3
    S1E4

2. Aug 3, 2015 #2 of 57
    MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    :D :up:

3. Aug 3, 2015 #3 of 57
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I suspect the real reason that the synths do not back up their minds is that the writers wanted to make them seem more human, and humans cannot back up their minds.

But that is really poor writing, since one of the main advantages that a synthetic mind has is that you should be able to back it up, and then you are able to take much larger risks of being destroyed, since you have a backup.

No doubt the writers would argue that the technology has some limitation that prevents backing up the mind, but that is just too unbelievable for me to accept. Especially since they have shown the synth operating code being downloaded, viewed, and modified in this show.

4. Aug 3, 2015 #4 of 57
    Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Stock models definitely do "backups." There's a whole subplot about "why don't you share?" between the sentient and stock synths.

Amongst the stock synths makes sense to share settings/daily habits to store "in the cloud" your user's preferences. The code base is the same, so why back up code when you can plug-and-play with a different synth.

The sentient synths are on a different code base. It's obvious in the show that there is a possibility of copying the code when eldest daughter downloaded Mia's code. They haven't explained in-story why they can't just copy/paste to another synth. It's been established that the chassis is stock, but the code is not. Maybe the "bootloader" is spread amongst all the sentient synths.

Another thing I noticed was synth cop partner wasn't in the flashbacks.

--Carlos V.

5. Aug 3, 2015 #5 of 57
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

That is not a backup. That is sharing a little information, like people chatting at the water cooler.

6. Aug 3, 2015 #6 of 57
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The synth cop was not in the flashbacks because she's not part of Leo's "family". Wonder who she is and what her game is -- could be industrial espionage (a rival company trying to capture the senti-synths to learn what makes them tick).

7. Aug 4, 2015 #7 of 57
    ncbill

ncbill Well-Known Member TCF Club

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    It's "Blade Runner" meets "Leave It to Beaver."

And does anyone else think the mom reminds one of Amanda Abbington?

8. Aug 4, 2015 #8 of 57
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I like the show but every time William Hurt comes on screen I think to myself - Dude, what happened to your career?

The least compelling for me is Leo.
    Seems like every week he is near extinction and then he rises from the ashes.

I also preferred Niska when she was running around killing everyone in sight.

9. Aug 4, 2015 #9 of 57
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why is the "son" robot so much more human than all of the others?

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You mean Leo? they explained it in this weeks episode (08/02) he was Elster's son and was "mostly dead" after the accident, his father rebuilt him as best he could, he's not a synth, he's human, none of them are robots.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Do you mean Leo or do you mean William Hurt's synth?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Gotta be Leo, because Odi a) isn't a son, and b) isn't vaguely human...

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    synth/robot, come on..

Yeah, I meant Leo.. ok, then I guess I misunderstood that part. I had previously thought he was human, then this episode I had taken it (apparently incorrectly) that he was a synth built to be just like the guy's son.

14. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I don't understand why the husband is being so vindictive suddenly, calling the cops on Leo's car. His motivation seems to have suddenly shifted for no apparent reason.

That is, unless he has feelings for Anita and is afraid of losing her. I wonder what Mia will do, the next time she sees him.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Pretty sure he is human with a synth brain. He doesn't bleed blue.

16. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I don't see why he has to be vindictive. You have a synth in the news killing people, now you have a synth that's acting wrong in your house with your family. He's probably just nervous... think if he didn't call anyone and the synth goes nuts and hurts them while you're sitting out in the driveway doing nothing... They made a mistake by kicking him out of his house like that so he didn't know what was going on. Also when the Leo and Max leave but Mia stays behind with his family.

17. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I wasn't familiar with this show before it was mentioned here and have been enjoying it. The one thing I'm having trouble with at times is the accents and slang, although I do like it when some people call the synths "dollies". :p I should probably try watching with cc turned on.

18. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    The term dollies made me think of Real Doll.

19. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I would imagine that there would be a huge market for an interactive Real Doll.

20. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    1/2 of his brain is synth technology, hence the need for a charge now and then. Otherwise he is human.