Humans S1E2: "Episode 2", OAD 07.05.2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by classicX, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1 of 22
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...

Advertisements

Sooooooooooo.... what is Leo? He refers to Fred as his brother, but he "loves" Anita/Mia? It seems that they have the same "creator" but he is either a synth made to pass for human, or a cyborg.

Toby summed it up: "Why'd they have to make you so fit?" I wonder how differently they'd be treated if synths were all made to be unattractive.

I must say, I like this show quite a bit.

2. Jul 6, 2015 #2 of 22
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, I like the overall tone of this show.

I kinda suspected Leo was a synth but his eyes don't do the blinky thing. Maybe he's a hybrid/next gen model?

3. Jul 6, 2015 #3 of 22
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'd love to pitch in, but not only have I seen the next two episodes of this, I've seen both seasons of the original.

So...I'll just enjoy watching you guys talk about it! :D

4. Jul 6, 2015 #4 of 22
    Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    The original?? :confused:

5. Jul 6, 2015 #5 of 22
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I presume he's seen the original Swedish version called "Real Humans".

6. Jul 6, 2015 #6 of 22
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't know the names yet, but I assume "Leo" is Merlin?

7. Jul 6, 2015 #7 of 22
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    The actress that plays Anita is really convincing. They all are, actually. I'm really enjoying this a lot!

8. Jul 6, 2015 #8 of 22
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, this is based (very closely) on a Swedish show that ran for two seasons called Äkta Människor, or Real Humans.

9. Jul 6, 2015 #9 of 22
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    How do the 1st 4 episodes play against the original? Subtitled??

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The original is in Swedish. So far, the remake is very close. There seem to be a couple of storylines that have been taken out, and overall it's tighter and more focused than the original. The remake also has much, much higher production values.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So Niska killed a guy and threatened the Madam on her way out the door. That's not going to go well for her, and will create a nationwide panic about Synths.

The William Hurt storyline is interesting. I can't imagine how aggravating that would be to have the government demand that you take a Synth to care for you and then the Synth is basically treating you like a prisoner. He had to sneak out into his own backyard in the night! How ridiculous is that?

I wonder what a normal Synth would do if a teenage boy tried to touch her boob. Was Anita's reaction to that the same as what a normal Synth would do, or was her reaction different because she's more aware? My guess is that the initial reaction (I must report inappropriate contact to the primary user) was normal, but then her cutting the kid a break because he didn't actually touch her was where her reaction differed.

And speaking of Anita, if she's essentially self-aware, what's her endgame with working for this family? Is she just waiting for the right time to leave? Does her Synth programming essentially keep her there doing her routine tasks unless/until those other people show up and help her remember who she is? I guess what I'm asking is if she's self-aware, why wouldn't she just run away?

12. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I think Anita knows that she is different from other synths, and possibly that revealing herself is dangerous, but she doesn't seem to have any "active" memory of her time before she got wiped. Her initial reactions always seem to be what you'd expect from a synth, but she can disobey that programming if she wishes (e.g. hugging the little girl).

It also seems likely that she doesn't interface with other synths because she knows they would discover her "flaw" and report her.

To your question - I don't think she has an endgame just yet. The show seems to be asking the question "what makes us human?" and exploring the answers.

13. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Yes it the same actor, also William Hurt who was the voice of the dragon. Are the same people whe did Merlin producing this show?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    John Hurt was the voice of the dragon. Not exactly the same guy... ;)

And no, not the Merlin people.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's so tempting to think of the William Hurt character as an older version of the character he played in A.I., but it doesn't quite work. Very nearly though.

16. IDSmoker

IDSmoker Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Have they given us a reason why Hurt hasn't just switched off his caretaker? I assume all synths have that emergency off switch on their chin.

17. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I assume that would trigger an alarm with the health service, given what we've seen.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Also they made clear that Hurt is not the "primary user"; the health service is. Boy, that's an unpleasant but all too believable situation. Even more believable than having a government agency require it, would be that his insurance company requires it. What a nightmare!

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Do they have insurance companies in England (for health)?

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think so. They have the National Health Service, which they spent a decent chunk of the 2012 London Olympics Opening Ceremonies celebrating. It's the NHS that has provided (mandated) this Synth and NHS is the primary user.