Humans: "Pilot" OAD 06/28/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by classicX, Jun 29, 2015.

1. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...

Advertisements

Just started watching my recording, but my goodness that synthetic is beautiful.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Having seen the first three, all I'll say is the remake may be even better than the original...and that's saying something.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Remake? I didn't realize the AMC show was a remake.

I liked it. I also didn't realize it was featuring a mostly British cast before going in...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  4. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    How have you seen the first three?

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

It was originally a Swedish show that ran for two seasons.
    It's been airing in England a couple of weeks ahead of the US.

6. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I really enjoyed the first episode. I had created the OnePass because TiVo was promoting it, and I'm glad that I did.

7. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, really liked this episode.

I just cannot look at Katherine Parkinson without smiling (IT Crowd). Happy to see her in something new. :)

8. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    No wonder my info showed the air date as 06/14, but my recording date was 06/28.

IMDB shows the actors appearing in only 8 episodes - is this a miniseries or are those just the 8 show titles that were released? I really liked the show and the setup; a little bit of I, Robot mixed with Being Human.

9. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Huh. I gave up half way through.

I like how very British it is. I enjoyed that.
    I didn't like much else. I found a family who considers it a crisis that mom was away for 5 whole days, and spends much of their time whining about that, to be so pathetic as to be unsympathetic.

Perhaps because I'm a military brat, and detachments are usually minimum 2 weeks, and deployments are 6 months or longer. 5 days? That's a cake walk.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The first season is 8 episodes.

11. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    It's more that she's gone a lot, and more often longer than she promised she'd be gone.

--Carlos "slips the '18+' software in his back pocket" V.

12. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I sampled the original (per your recommendation) and it was good, but definitely prefer the British version... it's excellent, and more Gemma Chang please!

13. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    Right, it's about having a generally absent mother.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I just watched the first episode, and loved it. They really nailed the uncanny valley. The only thing that was a bit jarring was the prominent use of current gen Apple products.

15. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    The family got screwed up 2 years prior it seems, Maybe they lost a family member? but something bad happened back then and the wife and the children are showing some effects from it. That is what It seemed to me.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Figured so because of the OADs shown in Explore This Show.. (But there's a big gap between ep 4 and 5...)

Though that brings up another question I had. I admit I'm not going to bother watching the "original" versions again, but anybody know if/how many minutes were cut out to make it fit a normal hour timeslot? At least a few other of these shared British/U.S. shows have routinely been cut down.. (Even though the cable networks would be more likely to just show them in longer timeslots.. and yes, they do sometimes, but usually not for every week's episode.)

Yet another example of "I know who she is but have to look her up".

17. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    They also prominently displayed Windows Surface stuff, too.

It's supposed to be a "parallel reality" where android tech obviously advanced faster than ours.

--Carlos V.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    One review I saw called it an "alternate present" where nearly everything else is as we know it today, other than the tech required to create these synthetic life forms.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Did you make it far enough into the episode to see the conversation between the husband and the wife where he tells her he feels like she's been avoiding him and the family, and he got the synth as a way to hopefully reduce the stress in their lives so they'll be able to spend more time together and repair their relationship?

In other words, it was a deeper issue than simply that he couldn't cope with his wife being gone a few days longer than originally planned.

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So are we supposed to believe that Anita is conscious and aware of all the stuff the family is saying about her? Or has she been reprogrammed so she's not sentient? And why was she walking down the street carrying the little girl when previously in the episode she said that she was programmed not to initiate contact unless it was an emergency?