Hulu Show Unavailable, Works on Xbox....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by King3pj, Feb 24, 2016.

1. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Some of you may have missed your One Pass recordings for the first 4 episodes of You, Me, and the Apocalypse on NBC. Apparently it aired in the UK in September so TiVo didn't have the episodes flagged as new. I found a thread on it in this forum and they seem to have corrected the issue going forward.

I thought this would be no problem since I have access to a Hulu Plus subscription and the show is available there. The problem is that when I try to watch the episodes on my Roamio through Hulu Plus I get a message saying it is only available through the Hulu website.

I checked the Hulu website and it says the show is available in HD on streaming devices. Out of curiosity I tried it through the Hulu Plus app on my Xbox One and it works normally.

Does NBC block their programming for TiVo users but allow other streaming devices to have access? Maybe this is just a bug but I have checked on several different days including after I watched the episodes on Xbox One and they were unavailable through TiVo every time. I'm not a heavy Hulu Plus user but I have never seen anything like this before.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I don't have a Hulu sub but if you search the forums here you'll find lots of posts with complaints about the Hulu TiVo app. I don't think it's as up to date as Hulu apps on other devices and maybe that is causing your problem.

3. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Yeah, it's definitely the worst TiVo streaming app, at least out of the ones I use. Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv, and YouTube on TiVo are as good as they are on Xbox or Roku for me.

Hulu is more clunky and even the UI graphics don't look as sharp. I still prefer using the TiVo over my Xbox One on the rare occasion that I use Hulu simply so I can use a real remote and not have to boot up the Xbox when I was already using the TiVo.

That said, I have never had issues with content being marked website only before. I suppose your explanation is as good as anything I have so far.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I can and have watched it on Hulu on my Bolt but not on a mini. That says web only. Which is not true.

They changed the Hulu app for the bolt, I believe. Looks completely different on the mini.

5. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for your answer. The Mini probably has the same app as the Roamio, which would explain why it won't work. The Bolt sounds like it has an updated app, more like the one on Xbox One and Roku.

It sounds like PSU_sudzi was right. If it works on the Bolt and Xbox One but not the Roamio or Mini it's the old Hulu Plus app that is causing the problem. Hopefully that is updated soon to bring it up to par with other Hulu devices and the other streaming devices available on TiVo.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hooefully the Hulu app on the Bolt comes down to the other platforms soon. It's the same one as what's on my Samsung Smart TV and it's waaaay better then the sh*tty one they have on the other TiVos.

7. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    It's the app, no problem with seeing it with HULU on Apple TV, or the NBC app. NBC app runs on different streaming boxes. I never had luck with Hulu on a Tivo Premiere, when I got an Apple TV 2 it ran great so I never tried it on Tivo again. The weird thing is Netflix and YouTube, as well as Amazon work pretty well on Tivo.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Tonight's episode is new with today's date. Next week still has the U.K date, but it might be corrected. Zap2it.com always has a new icon.

9. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The interface on the mini is horrible. The one on the Bolt looks like the one on my rokus, my Sony tv and my blu Ray players.

10. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I guess I need to remember to check my "To Do List" every week to make sure I don't miss anymore episodes.

11. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Why not just set it to all episodes? It's not like you are going to pick up returns from last year.

12. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Good point. I just made the change.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No need to set it to ALL episodes. I have mine set for new and repeats. And it picks up all the NBC episodes. I need to do this for all shows that had previously aired in other countries before airing in the US.

14. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    This is what I actually ended up selecting when I made the change. Unfortunately I didn't realize that You, Me, and the Apocalypse had already aired in the UK or that my One Pass wasn't recording until after the 4th episode had already aired.

15. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Mine recorded all the shows. I have not watched any yet. I probably have it set to new & repeats.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I found another example of this and a weird workaround. When you select the show Teachers from the app of the Roamio/Mini you get the error about it only being available through the website. But if you select the same show on the Bolt it works fine. If you stop watching on the Bolt and go back to the Roamio/Mini you can select the episode from your profile page and it plays just fine.

17. King3pj

King3pj Member

Feb 28, 2015
    It's possible that this would also work after watching an episode on my Xbox One but I ended up just catching up on all the episodes on the Xbox. It's good to know for the future since I prefer to use the TiVo for all of my streaming even if the Hulu app isn't very good.

The rest of the streaming apps are very good for me and TiVo is the only streaming device I own that will output video in its native 24Hz instead of converting to 60Hz and introducing screen judder on panning shots.

Until the other devices can do that it TiVo will remain my Netflix, Amazon, and HBO Go device. It's also my MLB.tv and YouTube device just out of convienence.