Hulu+ Premiere VS HTPC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Jun 3, 2011.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have been using Hulu through a HTPC for several months and decided to use free month of Hulu+ TiVo/Hulu gave Premiere owners.

I signed up on the web and used the code in my Premiere. Went back into Hulu+ on the Premiere 30 seconds after entering the data in Hulu through my PC and they new who I was. Nice Job Hulu/Tivo

Both my Premiere and HTPC are connected via HDMI to my Onkyo TX NR807 receiver.

One interesting item I found out was if I am playing a show in Hulu on my PC that is available through Hulu+ and paused it and then went into Hulu+ on my Premiere it gives me the option to go right to the show and continue from the pause point. Not sure that is worth much but is interesting.

Another thing that was clear is that the picture is better on the Premiere than on my HTPC. I was surprised but the Premiere had a more accurate color and in low light scenes brighter/easier to see picture. This maybe a setup issue but I am not going to spend the time to find out.

Hulu made a great decision for their advertisers. 30 second and 1 minute commercials are to short to really do much else and you end up watching them when using the Premiere. On the HTPC it is easy to drop out of full screen and let the commercials play while you do something in another tab the sound alerts you to when to go back to your show.

In the evening I did have buffering more on my HTPC that I fixed to 720p output than on the TiVo which I am guessing may have at times dropped out of 720p at times. This is a function of my ISP not Hulu or TiVo.

All in All Hulu+ plus worked well (ok the start up time is too long) on the Premiere. However I think finding shows and adding them to your Queue is going to be easier on a PC so even if someone doesn't have a HTPC they may still want to surf/search Hulu on a PC.

For me the HTPC being able to view the whole catalog and being able to switch to another tab and do something else during commercials out ways the slightly better picture on the Premiere. I may play some more with Hulu+ on the Premiere but likely will use the HTPC in the future. Not really sure if I will continue with Hulu+ after the free month - will have to see.

Thanks,

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought it was 6 free months of Hulu Plus?

Am I confusing different promotions?

3. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    6 months free for new(er) Premiere units. Folks who bought Premiere's some time ago will only get 1 month free.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The 6 months free deal is a new sales promotion - you only get it if you activate a new Premiere now (after some date in May actually). Existing Premiere owners only get 1 month free.

Thanks,

5. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    And existing HULU+ subs get nada so much for rewarding people who have subscribed to both.

6. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I don't think that's true... when I signed up my new box the message Hulu gave me was they added 6 months to my current subscription. We're due for billing in 4 days so I'll see if I actually get the 6 months, but they said I did.

Here's a section from the confirmation email I received:

Already a Hulu Plus Subscriber?

Follow the process above and your account will be credited for 6 months.**

7. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Right but that's because you're a new TiVo Premiere subscriber.

Existing subscribers of TiVo who'd already signed up for Hulu Plus prior to this promo get nothing.