Hulu Plus with no ads!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tryx911, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Apr 5, 2015 #1 of 29
    tryx911

tryx911 New Member

Jul 31, 2014

Advertisements

Just wanted to let everyone in on something that I've had for over 2 years now and love it's called Adtrap. Do a google search for it to find it. It's this little box and it's great! I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I was part of the kickstarter signups and have been using it and loving it! This little box goes between my cable modem and my wifi router and in real time blocks out ads. It doesn't get them all but updates nightly and you can add ads you want it to block manually if you want. It's nice doing it this way because you never download the ads in the 1st place instead of blocking them in your browser after the fact. But the best part is no ads on hulu plus or youtube on my Roamio or any device that is connected to my network. It's so nice to be able to watch shows without any ads or having to even fast forward that I end up watching them on hulu instead of the recording just so I can sit back and enjoy. Just though I'd let you all in on the fun too. Btw it's not cheap at $129 but has been more then worth it for me!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Apr 5, 2015 #2 of 29
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #3 of 29
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm curious, how does this device work? Does it simply block domains known to be ad hosts? Sort of like a modified hosts file described on this page?
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

My hosts file is almost 16,000 lines long. Admittedly, I have to update my hosts file manually on each of my systems, but I'm guessing there is a way to write a script to autofetch the file every day and update your hosts file for you. You also need access and be able to modify the hosts files -- I can do this on my Windows and Linux PCs, and my Android tablet. I assume Mac PCs can do it too.

For a TiVo... I can see how this device would be useful. Also, you just have one device blocking bad hosts for ALL your devices connected to your internet connection.

Or does it do something else?

4. Apr 5, 2015 #4 of 29
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    It filters for all the devices on your network. You don't have to set up adblock on browsers, hosts lists on each system, keep the form up to date. And all Wireless devices are filtered as well, so iPhones, iPads, Android phones/tablets all get the benefits. I've had my adtrap for a year and a half or so, I see a huge difference when surfing on my iPad at home versus on the LTE network.

5. Apr 5, 2015 #5 of 29
    tryx911

tryx911 New Member

Jul 31, 2014

Advertisements

The thing about building your own is it won't be able to block ads (aka commercials) on services like hulu plus and youtube or many other streaming sites like cbs and abc. And these are big for me! It took Adtrap a long time to get this working on all devices with a big team of people with many months of trials before it all worked on for example hulu plus without breaking it. I know as I was one of them doing the testing. And it takes a team to keep up with it as these services changes there method to make work arounds that gets pushed out to your Adtrap. It's a set it up and forget it kinda thing and just works and that is how it should be. But yes if you want to build one you can and it would block the ads you have setup. If you want a setup that does it all without you having to be a coder get Adtrap.

6. Apr 5, 2015 #6 of 29
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    This would be worth the price just to get rid of this dang floating add at the bottom of TCF on my iPad!

7. Apr 5, 2015 #7 of 29
    Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Will this work on a Moca connection?

8. Apr 6, 2015 #8 of 29
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    Not sure about Hulu since I didn't have it at the time, but the R-Pi solution I posted worked great blocking CBS streaming ads. Unfortunately, my Pi died, and I have not replaced it. Certainly, for the non-techie, the Adtrap is probably a more polished solution which does not require a huge amount of ability to use.

9. Apr 6, 2015 #9 of 29
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I do not have one of these, but from everything I have read, it is designed to block ads at the modem level, so anything coming in from the internet, wired, wireless, or via MoCA is covered.

10. dalabera

dalabera Member

Jan 10, 2013
  11. Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    I have most Hulu ads blocked using OpenDNS' free service with the "advertising" filter turned on. It blocks for all my devices since I set my router to use their DNS. Simple.

12. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !!

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I went to the OpenDNS site, created a login, and signed up for the free Home use. But I can't find where to turn an "advertising" filter on or off.

Exactly what web page do you find this at?

[Edit to add] I just checked the OpenDNS FAQ and it appears they don't block advertising because it slows internet browsing:

Can I Block Advertisers and Ad Servers?
    Chris Frost February 2, 2014
    No, but for good reason. Blocking advertising providers at the DNS level can have adverse affects on browsing behavior and speed.

Significant reduction in speed is partially due to the process used by many browsers to render a Web page. Each element of content on a Web page is loaded sequentially and if several elements are blocked, the browser waits for a timeout to expire before moving to the next element. This will cause very significant delays when there are multiple elements being blocked.

This performance degradation on the user experience is the main reason OpenDNS does not offer an Advertising category in Web Content filtering.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  13. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    That sounds analogous to the server-constipation problems that TiVo had (and still has, maybe to a lesser extent) with code that is not optimally multithreaded. Ads especially, but really all content that isn't interdependent, should be downloaded independently and presented as available, with no unnecessary waiting. If the user sees enough to go elsewhere before some content has arrived, it should simply be cancelled and/or discarded without causing any kind of stumble in the user interface. Google Chrome often forces me to beat on the multiuse Stop/Reload icon(s) until it finally reloads a TCF page cleanly so TCF knows I'm done with it. Is there any current browser that handles this properly, so that Stop means stop everything now and Reload means reload right now?

14. tryx911

tryx911 New Member

Jul 31, 2014
    The Adtrap works on any connection as long as the Adtrap is put between your modem and router. It has to create a special jump that doesn't break the video on services like hulu plus and each device does it in a somewhat different way so that was the part that took the Adtrap team so long to get right. They would get it up and running on Roku 3 but my Roku 2 wouldn't work on hulu plus and so on. And it was like this for almost all of the different services. Another one I like is crackle with all the free movies and tv shows it's great when there is no ads and it just streams right though but it's not on Tivo so I use my Roku. If you just go to there web page getadtrap.com most your questions would get answered just check out the videos at the bottom of the page. This blocks ads that are getting internet from your router whether it's ethernet connected or wifi. I'm using moca to my 2 minis and neither have ads on hulu plus. And the same goes for my Roku 2 and 3.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  15. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    The Adtrap set up instructions just say to connect the Adtrap to the router, rather than to place it between the router and modem. Does placing it between the router and modem have a different effect or impact? thanks

16. Islanti

Islanti Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Georgetown, TX
    Attached is the output from my "Content Filter" page on OpenDNS.

Attached Files:

17. tryx911

tryx911 New Member

Jul 31, 2014
    The plus to hooking it up between the modem and the router is you can have more options on how you want to use it and what it blocks is the big plus for me. Go to there forums and have a read though them so you can get a better idea of what it's all about.

18. Dixon Butz

Dixon Butz Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Looking at their forums and looks like https filtering is still not implemented. There is a beta.
    How well can it block ads without it?

19. tryx911

tryx911 New Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Because ads aren't coming from secure sites. This way adtrap doesn't get in the way of banking and such. All I can say is if you are not sure if this product is right for you then ask them about there return policy so you can make sure you can return it if you want. For me I wouldn't be without it as not having ads aka commercials on YouTube, Crackle, Cbs, Abc, hulu plus etc is worth it's weight in gold! lol

20. Dixon Butz

Dixon Butz Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Many ads in windows are https. I don't mean banking. Youtube is one if your logged in.
    I use Adguard in windows which blocks all https ads.