Hulu Plus on Premiere Only....Why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Resist, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Is it a hardware or software reason why Hulu Plus is only available on the Premiere? I ask because Netflix became available on the original Series 3 Tivo via a software update years ago. And it seems like the two companies are similar streaming services. Or is that Tivo just wants people to spend more money to upgrade to the newer Premiere box?

I'm not disputing whether Hulu Plus is a worthy feature for the Premiere or not. I just added it to mine under the free 6 month deal and haven't really had a chance to play with it. But I will most likely cancel at the end of the 6 months because I don't need another monthly expense in this economy.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Because adding features to a product line / codebase that's been retired is not a great use of your development dollars.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    True but they did that to the Series 3 OLED Tivo for Netflix.

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    So I'm trying to watch Hulu Plus on my Premiere and it won't work. Good thing I'm not paying for it.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I don't know whether it is possible or not, only that it wouldn't be money well spent as nobody is going to subscribe a series 3 or pay TiVo to add the feature. If Rhapsody and Hulu Plus are worth paying TiVo to get, let the tiny market that is willing to pay for the services purchase a Premiere.

Hardware limitations or developmental costs or differentiating new products from old, the business reason doesn't matter to me, I understand and accept there is justification for this business decision.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Because at the time it used the same code base as their current TivoHD, what you're talking about is an analogy of porting S3/THD features back to the S2. (discounting the hardware issues)

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    AFAIK the correct answer is that it is, in fact, a hardware issue -- the Hulu player being Flash-based, a capability that's only in the Premiere.

That said, there are several other features currently found only on the Premiere that could and should be ported back to the Series 3. But don't worry, I won't be holding my breath.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Thanks for all the responses!