Hulu Plus is here!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by plazman30, May 23, 2011.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
  3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    That dude in the youtube TiVo video......ugh......how I long for TiVo Shanan! I hope the @elfqueen is doing well!!!!

4. Linkue

Linkue New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Colorado
    After 9 months of waiting the wait continues. Yesterday my TiVo updated to 14.8 and guess what still no Hulu plus on my premiere. After calling about it today I was told that Hulu Plus is "in test market for new users only and that it will be here soon for older customers." So yet another update after 14.8 before Hulu Plus will come to us. When asked when they refused to give an answer. I was also told by customer service that “Our Website is misleading." So sorry everyone after 9 months of promises that Hulu Plus was around the corner it looks like we still have to turn yet another one.

5. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I really could care less. I don't need to add another $10.00 to my entertainment bill for stuff I can record with season passes.

6. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    For new users of what? new Tivo users or new Hulu+ users?

The feeling I'd got from threads in the premiere forum was that it just "showed up" on the menu for some Premiere users, some only after a reboot, and others can't get it to show up no matter what.

It still hasn't shown up for me, although I haven't played any reboot games.

Personally I don't care whether I get it or not as I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to anyone else without dropping comcast first. It would be fun to give it a shot and play with it under the first month of free service though.

The morale of the story is: Buy something based on the features it offers today, not based on what it might offer tomorrow.

7. jseeley

jseeley New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Keep forcing updates; After I got 14.8 (took 30 updates to get to there) I forced 5 or so more updates and it showed up for me. My premire is NOT new... had it for about 8 months.

8. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    so then why did you come into this thread?

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    To contribute another perspective?

10. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Um Ok. If he got the price right or anyone cared that he doesn't want it then maybe, but I would guess that most people on this thread want to get HULU. My guess is he doesn't think it something TIVO should be worrying about since it is not a feature he is interested in and thought he would take a jab at those that do.

11. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Um Ok. If he got the price right or anyone cared that he doesn't want it then maybe, but I would guess that most people on this thread want to get HULU. My guess is he doesn't think it something TIVO should be worrying about since it is not a feature he is interested in and thought he would take a jab at those that do more then offer another perspective.

12. alangst

alangst New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Will you be able to view the Free Version of Hulu?

13. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    No,you cant, and I dont think any non-pc can do that.

14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sure they can, but they just can't do it directly.

15. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    well I didn't want to talk about anything that might be illegal ;), if you're watching on a device that isn't in their TOS I believe that would be piracy

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That would be an interesting court case. If I pay for a service, why should a provider be able to tell me which device I can watch it on? Why should a provider be able to discriminate against operating systems or browsers? Not supporting it is one thing. Blocking access is another.

17. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    in the case of regular Hulu, you are not paying for a service, the service is being provided free. I have to assume its completely legal, because Google tv is blocked, and Google has shown they have no problem fighting in court if they think they are right. the Google tv is doing very badly right now and a large part of the reason is the content providers are blocking content from it.

18. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    The content providers decide where there programs can be seen. Right now right or wrong there is a division between PC's and devices designed to output straight to the TV. Even though it is no problem to output a PC to the TV with very good quality that is where the industry draws the line. HULU has to get different permission to put the stuff on devices such as TIVO/ROKU/APPLE TV etc. It costs them more to get those permissions that is what you are paying for with HULU+. It is illegal to rebroadcast content anywhere that you don't have a agreement with the rights holder to show it. We can all cuss HULU but until the prodviders stop with the imaginary line they draw there is nothing they can do. HULU I am sure would be really happy if they could offer more content since that would increase their business.

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So if Google allowed Windows to run on a Google TV it would be legal? It's crazy and I can't believe nobody is suing.

20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Most of the Hulu + content overlaps what people already receive through their television service. Why would most people want to pay an additional $8 per month for duplicate programming content?