Hulu Plus initial observations

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Wingershute, May 27, 2011.

1. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Well we finally have Hulu Plus on Tivo after waiting so long. It seems to be working well but takes fairly long to load on my Tivo (20 - 30 seconds). I don't have the fastest connection so i don't believe that's the issue.
    Also is there any way to move Hulu to the top of the list bypassing the recorded shows. I hate to have to scroll all the way to bottom to get to it and that goes for NetFlix as well.

Anyone else want to comment on their initial observations with HULU?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes i timed mine last night. I knew it didn't take three minutes like someone posted, but it does take between 20 seconds and 30 seconds until you can make selections on the Hulu+ screen.

Otherwise it seems identical to the PS3 version, only better since the TiVo has natve resolution output. So the content looks much better scaled to 1080P by my equipment than what the PS3 looks like when it does the scaling and outputs at 1080P..

3. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ive timed it out to 120-140 seconds everytime Ive tried it,and u let it sit too long it backs out to the tivo main page, I hate this behavior so much.

it just boggles my mind how the crappiest of crap pcs can Run Hulu Desktop at great speed,but this version drags like crazy.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I only have Hulu+ on two of my boxes. The ones that I put a 1TB and 2 TB drive in. I wonder why your box is taking so long to load the Hulu+ app while ours has only taken 20 to 30 seconds.

Once I get it on my other three boxes with the stock drives I will check to see if those take any longer to load.

5. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I will probably do a hard-reset soon then to see if it helps it. its really the only thing that I dont like about the app.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Does anyone know who developed the Hulu app? Was it Tivo or a third party? If it wasn't Tivo, I would expect a bug fix release. If it was Tivo, we are in trouble.

7. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    gotta assume the app was developed by the Hulu team because it has the same interface across all devices.

8. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that. Hulu could have dictated the design with the app actually being developed by TiVo. It depends on how "easy" it is to code for TiVo's flash interface.

9. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    well,I know netflix maintains their own app on Tivo, and the interface is wildly different what you see on most netflix devices,as is the speed, so I think it must be a challenge for them to code for it.

10. dw003f

dw003f New Member

May 27, 2011
    I was disappointed to see that there is no integration with the rest of the Tivo content. Even netflix is integrated into the standard search. I'm really at a loss to understand why it took half a year more to roll the same exact service to the Tivo as compared to the Roku, which was announced the same day.

Don't get me wrong, the pros outweigh the cons at this point, but I was disappointed by the complete lack of any integration.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Not that I care AT ALL about Hulu+. But...

Do you find 20 to 30 seconds an "acceptable" amount of time to launch a menu to make a selection? Sounds insane to me. I can perform an entire COLD BOOT of my Linux desktop system AND LOG IN (through the GUI, no less) in less than 30 seconds!

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I can launch my main netbook with Win7 from a cold boot and log in quicker too. But that is also with an SSD and a 1.2Ghz dual core CPU in the netbook.

I can only compare it to the PS3 with Hulu+. While the PS3 loads faster the quality is noticeablly worse since the PS3 does the scaling and doesn't have native resolution output. I already knew what the load times were on the TiVo for the Hulu+ application from what was leaked months ago. I'll take the better picture quality from the TiVo over the quicker loading times of the PS3.

Personally if i had my way loading would be instant. but even a machine as powerful a the PS3 can't do that.

13. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    It's written in Flash like the rest of the HDUI so it shouldn't come as a surprise I guess. I find it unbearable not acceptable. Launching an app or a menu should not taker longer than it does to boot an OS. Period. On the plus side it makes the rest of the HDUI speedy in comparison.

14. hargreae

hargreae New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    If you don't want to scroll through your list of recorded shows, choose Hulu+ from the "Find TV, movies, & videos" menu.

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can also press ->| to jump to the bottom of any menu/list and again to jump back up to the top.

16. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Another issue I find is that whenever I use HULU I have to enter my email address and password everytime. That seems like a waste. Am I doing something wrong? I don't do that with Netflix.

17. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    thats not normal behavior,you should only need to enter it once, in fact,I never entered my info at all. I went to hulu.com/activate and then entered the code from the tivo, you might want to try that.

18. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    My initial observations of hulu plus
    So I signed up for hulu plus this evening. My plan is to drop cable and use only OTA because there are only a few shows on cable that I "need" to watch and they can be found on hulu even though they are a few weeks behind. I figured this would be a good test run for Justified (I'm a few weeks behind) and In Plain Sight. Can't get the latest episodes on my Premiere with hulu plus, not even if I have them in my queue. WTF? What's the point of paying for upgraded service that doesn't let you access the free stuff too?
    It's useless.
    My Netgear box (via Playon) allows me to watch both free and plus content, but it's not HD and I don't need the plus content anyway. I don't need HD either, but it would be nice. I'll stick with the Netgear box and the more current content of free hulu.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you don't want HD content then you shoulkd have no issues finding the vast majority of content you need.
    Personally I rarely watch SD anymore. Even back in 2001 about half of what I watched was HD. Ten years later I will watch SD occassionally but rarely.

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Apparently you missed the part where I stated that hulu plus does NOT have the content I need. You also seem to have missed the point of the SD and HD comments. But that's OK, I'm glad you found a place to show the world your "superiority" even if it really wasn't the place for it.