Hulu Plus free on XBox 360 this week!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Apr 30, 2011.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Hulu and Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 owners can try a free week of Hulu Plus this with no credit card required. Normally the subscription is $7.99.

http://www.hulu.com/plus/unlock
    http://blog.hulu.com/2011/04/29/hulu-plus-comes-to-xbox-live/
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/28/hulu-plus-impressions-360.aspx

My impression, total waste of money if you plan on watching Hulu shows on your TV!. if you own an Xbox 360 you might want to try it out and see how your viewing varies.

Hulu has this lame 3 tier for viewing shows.
    Web, Mobile, TV

Most shows are available through the web (browser), however if you try to view a show on your TV through your Xbox or PS3, your probably out of luck. I discovered that most shows I watch are NOT available on your big screen. :(

The loophole, plug a computer into your TV and you can easily get around this retarded "feature".

Thanks Hulu and content providers, for making pirating TV shows more convenient , less of a headache, and cheaper than your half assed attempts to bring streaming TV to the web.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Wrong forum?

3. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    As opposed to the thread about Usenet?

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

I am not familiar with Hulu Plus, so I am curious as to why they wouldn't be available to watch on your TV? Where else would the XBox be connected to?

I am asking because I honestly don't understand.

5. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Yeah, that one didn't make sense to me either. This will probably be the extent of my participation in this thread since I don't have a '360...

Edit: Well, one more post...

6. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I believe it's a licensing issue. It seems the owners of the content don't care if you watch it on a computer for free, but want to charge for seeing it on a bigger screen. What they fail to realize that some TVs come with an RGB where you can attach a computer to, basically giving you a giant monitor. I had a PC connected that way for quite awhile, using a wireless keyboard and mouse for control.

7. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The GoogleTV vs Hulu thing is also hypocritical, considering GoogleTV come with the Chrome web browser, but they block it.
    http://searchengineland.com/why-youre-still-waiting-for-hulu-plus-on-google-tv-60770

8. May 2, 2011 #8 of 15
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Note that you can extend the free week by an additional free month, but it does involve giving credit card info.

I signed up for the free week. This is the second time I've had a free trial of Hulu+. I really want to like it, but it just doesn't seem like a good match for my needs. Too many of the shows I'd be interested in using the service for are "web only," as mentioned above. And only a small percentage of the shows I looked for were available, at all.

Though the interface pales in comparison, I'll stick to accessing regular old Hulu on the 360 via my PlayOn server. Last night I tried to watch the first episode of The Voice using the new Hulu+ 360 free trial, but it was a web-only episode. So I quit out of the spiffy Hulu+ 360 app, went back to the 360 dashboard, selected the Video tab, drilled down into my PlayOn upnp server, pulled up regular Hulu, and launched and watched the very same episode, on my 360, that way. Seems crazy it's permissible to do it one way, but not the other.

9. May 3, 2011 #9 of 15
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    You also get the same number of ads with Hulu Plus that you get with free Hulu. And, they are programmed at set intervals, rather than at the ad breaks of the original show, meaning the shows are interrupted at odd times.

I've tried it for free a couple of times and found it useless. I prefer free Hulu since most of the shows I like are web only.

10. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'm probably in the minority but I only want to watch TV shows/movies on my TV, not on my PC, not on my phone. If I can't do that, I'm not interested. My son watches lots of stuff on his laptop, his IPad2 and his iPhone. I just don't like anything on a smaller screen.

11. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The only reason why I'd be interested is to cut cable TV service as save some ca$h.

With an OTA antenna I can get most shows, cable channels on the other is where it gets if'y. Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, one of them needs to grow a pair and allow streaming to your TV (or in Amazon's case get more TV show content). It's going to happen one day, these hurdles they force on us are annoying and can easily be circumvented with some know how.

Hopefully Tivo will take notice with future boxes, a quad channel tuner would be nice, but cable TV is becoming ridiculously expensive so the web is going to become a big player.

12. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    If possible, connect your computer to your TV. Many HDTVs have RGB connections and some (my MacBook and iMac, for example) can connect via HDMI with an inexpensive adapter. Works great.

13. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    I already cut cable and watch a lot of Netflix on my Xbox 360. I didn't find a lot on Hulu Plus yet that I would be willing to pay for.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I tried Hulu Plus for a month when it first came out last year. I was not even a little impressed. I also signed up for the free week on Xbox. I've only looked around for about 10 minutes, but it isn't looking any better than last year. Just not worth $8/month.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Then the same companies gouging you on cable tv prices will gouge you on internet access prices. They would likely move to a tiered system just like cable by setting caps at different levels. Don't want to pay $100 for cable and stream shows instead? Fine the package needed to access that much content online is now $100.