Hulu Plus coming to TiVo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Sep 28, 2010.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    TiVoDesign just twittered this.
    Hulu Plus coming to TiVo Premiere

More at the actual link.

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    "not for series 3" rants in 3...2...

3. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine

No rant, but why would it only be available for the newest hardware platform? Do you think there is a hardware reason for Hulu Plus to only be available on Premieres? Or do you think it's just a marketing decision (ie one more reason to upgrade)?

4. wisny

wisny New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Maine
    btw, w/ Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and now Hulu Plus, you really could just about ditch cable altogether ....

5. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It may be a flash/ui based reason if it doesnt use the standard UI.

The question I have will it show up in the new search.

6. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Figure out a way of getting ESPN in there (ESPN3 is coming to xbox) and I think I am there.

7. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    I wish we could get the free hulu on here too. It will be nice to have some of the older shows from hulu. I dont think tivo series 3 will be getting any new features, tivo always does this. This is part of the reason why I upgraded to tivo premiere.

8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This will definitely be a negative since some of the shows arent on hulu plus so we probably wont have access to these shows.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVo still needs MLB.tv and NBA league Pass (and ESPN3 if it isn't exclusive to XBox). MLB.tv is already on Roku so I'm not sure what the hold up is for TiVo since they probably have a much larger subscriber base. I think NBA League pass is coming to Roku this year as well.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    isn't there a requirement that it also has to be on your cable provider to be able to get it on the 360?

EDIT: i think I got it backwards. Your ISP has to pay a fee for you to be able to access on the 360.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/affList

11. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    dependent on your ISP

12. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm still not impressed with Hulu Plus. All their current "Season Ticket" shows are from Fox, ABC and NBC: no CBS, CW or cable programs. Even their back catalog is made up primarily of old broadcast and syndicated shows with a smattering of anime and Brit imports. If they had most of the first run cable programs available it would be must have. As it is right now I get everything they offer and a lot more with a Series 3, lifeline cable and a $8.99 Netflix subscription.

13. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    The requirement is on the ISP (which most of the time happens to be your Cable Provider), but in my area both Verizon FIOS and Comcast support it. I don't know it works for Verizon DSL, but I would suspect so. The ISP ponies up a little money to ESPN.

I can't stand services that are restricted to computers. I have never actually used HULU for more than 5 min because it has been restricted to computers. I stare at one all day at work, I don't need it when I am home.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This is pretty sweet news. I wish Hulu could have more content though.

15. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    I use media center which has a built in "internet TV" from CBS. It doesn't have all of the current CBS shows but it has a good bit of content.

And oh yeah, I also have hulu desktop and a hulu desktop integration app that allows me to watch free hulu on my htpc using the media center remote.

I don't think this is coming to TiVo due to the pandora's box that it will open with its content provider partners. TiVo would probably like it, but they don't hold the keys to the content.

16. danstyk

danstyk New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Definitely interested, but my Tivo premiere boxes are through RCN -- so wondering if/how it will be limited as a result.

17. buttercream

buttercream New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    So when is this fabulous event supposed to happen?

The whole reason I got Tivo is so I can tell Comcast and their inflated billing to take a hike. But if Hulu Plus doesn't have my old black and white favorites, what good is it?

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You make a very good point. Over the next few years there will be less and less need for cable just like the landline phone market. What happens then? Will we all have $200 internet bills to make up for it?

19. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The bandwidth required to transmit the media content is not overwhelming by today's standards. If I wanted to, I could downgrade my internet service to comcast's budget tier and still download 4 hours of programming per day. So, the internet bill isn't going to be any higher.

However, the people making the media are still going to want to get paid. I think we'll end up moving to a pay-per-download model, something like the itunes store. We might even be able to get a choice between embedded commercials and commercial-free television (like Hulu vs Hulu+).

There's just no need for cable TV, or even television networks to exist in a world that is Internet-connected.

That being said, skype hasn't quite replaced my qwest line... yet.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I realize bandwidth isn't expensive. However, cable companies are going to need to make up revenue somewhere. The current cable business could never sustain a pay per viewing model. There are simply too many channels that nobody would watch.