Hulu Plus a horrible deal

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dvrpundit, Sep 22, 2011.

1. dvrpundit

dvrpundit New Member

Sep 22, 2011
    The administrators pulled my first posting that used non-obscene terms to express the depth of my disappointment with using Hulu Plus on Tivo and my decision to cancel that service within hours of purchasing it.

1. You cannot view the free Hulu material via Tivo

2. Even the obscure failedcom that I watched via Hulu Plus had the NBC logo in the corner and was interrupted by commercials every 15 minutes; the lame excuse by Hulu reps was that this helped keep costs down, but I would not be surprised if the rights holder did not have to pay Hulu to provide this turkey that I decided to check out.

3. Your Hulu Plus queue will not load if you have more than 100 episodes; this is typically less than five television seasons

4. Selecting an episode from your queue requires a slow and tedious horizontal scroll through other the placards for other episodes.

2. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    What does any of this have to do with Tivo? These are all Hulu Plus 'features', regardless of device.

3. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    i cant comment on #3 and #4 since I am a smart, well informed consumer that does his diligent homework and doesn't pay for the service. if you were one of those types of consumers, you would see that hulu specifically states part 1 of your gripe all over the place. In case you missed the obvious, numerous articles, blog posts, forum postings will tell you the same.

part 2 is what it is. if you use the free service, its free, its going to have adds. for the paid service, you are paying for HD quality and new episodes, not the removal of adds. again, all of that is stated everywhere.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This too is Tivo-irrelevant. Hulu Plus is not a superset of Hulu. Tivo has Hulu Plus. Thus Tivo does not have 'regular' Hulu. You would see this via web browser too.

5. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    Tivo offered a free 6mo sub to Hulu+. That makes it relevent.
    I agree with the OP. I also thought Hulu+ was a POS and droped it before I was to begin being charged for it.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm still paying for Hulu+. If I had known earlier I could have suspended it for the Summer I would have to save the three months of fees. Since I use Hulu Plus during the regular broadcast TV season which is starting up now.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    True and was apparent from the start to those of us who were paying attention. However, I think it is a misleading name that does suggest it IS a superset. Not sure what would have been a better name.....

8. BetaMark

BetaMark New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Van Nuys, CA
    Yes, it's stated everywhere... but what's not so obvious is that Hulu forces you to watch the commercials; you cannot skip through them à la TiVo. Even worse, Hulu goes through an annoying process of buffering/caching every time it shuffles between content and ads, which can make a TV show drag. That's enough of a deal-breaker for me.

9. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    For someone that doesn't want the gear for OTA but wants their local networks without cable or another service, hulu is ok. Otherwise its a waste and Netflix fills the roll better. IMO.

Like all of Tivo's third party programs its no surprise that the Hulu app is poorly implemented. Just about everything is including the netflix app.

10. nooneuknow

nooneuknow not quite dead yet

Feb 5, 2011
    Odd, I was just realizing earlier, before this thread started, that I'm paying for Hulu Plus every month and never using it, because it never has what I want or need (like missed episodes of CBS shows, or even Rescue Me on FX, which I didn't know even had another season coming).

Thanks to this "TiVo irrelevant thread", I now know why the series I was watching on my GF's laptop with her using regular Hulu, was not available on my TiVo, nor my new, and much bigger screen size, Sony TV.

It would be nice if people are going to jump all over the O.P. for something that is "stated all over the place", that those saying such things, post links to some of these "all over the place", well.... places. I'm usually pretty good about reading T.O.S. and such, and even read the legalese that many ignore. Yet, somehow this slipped right by me.

I predict that I will be cancelling, and am glad this thread was started. Thank You.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No, you wouldn't. With a web browser you have access to everything in one place.

12. javabird

javabird Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Hulu and Hulu Plus are different services. So you would have to subscribe to Hulu Plus to access that particular content -- even in a web browser. (Which is why I dropped Hulu when they when split it into 2 services and started charging for commercial-filled shows.)

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why are you quoting me?

14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I am continually mystified as to how anyone could be confused by the fact that Hulu and Hulu+ have completely different programming, this was one of the biggest issues constantly brought up when Hulu+ launched.

This is the 21st century, anyone can get informed with a tad of searching, there's just no excuse, if you can post to TCF you have internet access to search.

15. nooneuknow

nooneuknow not quite dead yet

Feb 5, 2011
    Your post seems of the type that people tend to jump all over. I'm not trying to do that.

I have so much TiVo related stuff that I try to keep up with, along with other things I try to keep up with, and well as trying to be diligent about actually reading (and more importantly, UNDERSTANDING) T.O.S. before clicking "I agree".

I wouldn't have wound up a subscriber if it weren't for the free one-month deal offered. I bet many who qualified for six months would say that too. I didn't give a flying ----, about hulu and/or hulu plus and never used either prior to the trial offers TiVo started offering. So, I wouldn't be keeping up with current events/news, or old news regarding either.

Now, a show of hands for those who spent an hour, or two, making sure that "free" actually meant free. Then, those who searched around, focusing primarily on how hard it would be to cancel, any special terms/fine print on that, and looking for others who had perhaps done a trial, or even paid sub, who may have had problems getting it cancelled.

I did all that. Although if it is in the T.O.S., maybe I was worn-out from making sure free was free and could easily be cancelled without incurring charges, and thought if I had anything to worry about, I'd have run across it already. If I didn't, at least I knew I could cancel very easily.

To prevent a barrage of people saying "Well, just cancel then!", I'll repeat, from another post. Before this thread, wasn't aware of why things I had been watching from a laptop were gone when using non-computer devices. I simply thought they got removed from the selection. Now, thanks to this thread, I know.

Knowing this now, I'm much more likely to cancel, but will check both versions of hulu out and try to find something in the Plus version that I want/need. I've only been paying for two months so far, unlike how I was paying extra for Netflix w/DVD by mail, and hadn't queued up any DVDs in over a year.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, you would. You would have to go to hulu separately, not the hulu plus listings.

17. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Technically, Hulu+ is a superset. There is not one thing you can do w/o a subscription that you can't do with a subscription. While there a number of things you can do with a subscription that you can't do without.

Although since this does seem to be the #1 complaint from users, i have to agree that perhaps the naming could have been better.

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    There are certain titles Hulu hasn't licensed for television or mobile platforms. Meaning, some content available on the Hulu website free of charge is not available to Hulu Plus subscribers via TiVo or iPad. True, subscribers and non-subscribers alike can access that free content via web browser. But it can be confusing to have different titles available on different platforms. It surely doesn't help their cause and is conceptually different than say Netflix's streaming solution.

19. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    I understand that and I understand that it is confusing to users (as I stated in my 2nd paragraph). That doesn't change the fact that Hulu+ is a superset of functionality of Hulu. With free hulu you can watch thousands of titles via a web browsesr. With Hulu+ you can watch even more titles via a web browser, and you can watch some titles via other devices.

And I'm not sure Netflix is a good example of being that conceptually different. I still run into people that are surprised/disappointed that they can't stream everything that is available via DVD. Obviously that will change now that the DVD and streaming businesses are being split.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

people will still think that. Although any person who did just little research knew you could not stream all disc titles.

Although I really don't know how someone could think that for only $8 a month you could stream anywhere close to every disc title Netflix has. It's not a realistic expectation.