Hulu+ ON Premiere Remains Nearly Worthless

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Jul 22, 2011.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am an OTA only person and have been watching to see if Hulu/Hulu+ would be picking up any of the new summer shows from the basic cable networks so I looked around to see what I might be Interested in and came up with a pretty long list of potential shows I might like from SyFY, TNT, USA, etc.
    1. The Closer
    2. Falling Skies
    3. Rizzoli & Isles
    4. Eureka
    5. Haven
    6. Warehouse 13
    7. Alphas
    8. Brun Notice
    9. White Collar
    10. Royal Pains
    11. Covert Affairs
    12. In Plain Site
    13. Suits
    14. NECESSARY ROUGHNESS
    15. The Protector
    So how many appear to have their new weakly episodes available through Hulu/Hulu+ throughout the summer?

Hulu only (not on Hulu+ and there for not available on TiVo):
    1. The Protector
    2. Warehouse 13
    3. Haven
    4. Royal Pains
    5. In Plain Site
    6. Brun Notice
    Some more shows indicate they will be available at some point 30 day delay etc.

On Hulu+ and available to watch on a TiVo Premiere:

NONE!

Guess Hulu+ on TiVo is really a big waist of $$ and certainly does not do much for me.

Thanks,

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    How is this TiVo's fault?

3. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Where did I say it was TiVo's fault? My comments are about the Hulu+ service available on TiVo.

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I think the poster was referencing your title.
    Stating that "Hulu+ ON Premiere Remains Nearly Worthless" indicates that Hulu+ on something else has value, which could indicate that it is Tivo's fault.

5. klj

klj Tivo Challenged

Feb 25, 2010
    hulu+ is one of the biggest scams i have ever seen. has there ever been another product where you pay to actually get less than the free version?

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I guess technically Hulu+ on a computer does have more value than Hulu+ on a TiVo or other device. At least when you access Hulu+ on a computer it then also includes the shows on the free computer only Hulu show list.

But again I am complain about Hulu+ not TiVo. It also relates to the saga of Hulu+ becoming available on the Premiere. I remember all the complaints about TiVo not getting it fast enough - well now that we have it in my opinion we still have nothing as I can not see how the Hulu+ service is even worth $8 per month.

Thanks,

7. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Welcome to the internet. A few can make a loud noise. For some, it has value, others not so much... I think you will see similar things happen when Tivo enables the mythical second core... It does nothing... Same for finishing the menu system. A few complain regularly and loudly while the rest don't care or aren't missing out...

8. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I agree. TiVo should not have wasted development effort on Hulu +.

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    +1 - if you took the Hulu+ interface and plopped Netflix into it, that would have been much more useful. Hulu+ is nifty enough, but it's just not worth any money at this point. Hulu+ should really be named Hulu- I think. ;)

Not that Netflix is all that be-all-end-all or anything - but it's more useful.

The most useful app on my Tivo is pytivox... which isn't an app on the Tivo at all. :D

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree. This is just another example of Tivo trying to get a new logo put on the Tivo box. They could care less about what the product is or how they implement it. Most of the third party features are half baked but Tivo doesn't care. They just want to be able to put the third party logo in their marketing materials.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The hulu+ application is similar among multiple devices. I know the one on my Premiere looks similar if not identical to the one on my PS3. The 360 does have a different version. I will use the one on my Premieres over the PS3. Although the same also goes for Netflix.

The apps on the TiVo work better since it's similar to how you view recorded programming on the TiVo. Plus the TiVo has Native resolution output which is a huge plus for me since I use an external scaler/processor in my main viewing area.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I REALLY want Hulu to be a good product. I keep going back to it and hoping that it has improved....it hasn't.

13. Weagle

Weagle New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks for the insight, I saw it available and considered it but hadn't gotten around to trying it...I'll just pass on it for now...

14. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
  15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The future is now. You can get the vast majority of content from multiple sources. You will never be able to get it all from one source since there will always be someone willing to pay extra to get content first or have some kind of exclusivity agreement for a period of time. The best that we can hope for is to be able to get all content from multiple sources. But even that might never happen. Not when you have Premium channels like HBO that have a monetary incentive not to offer their programming. That way it force people to pay for a subscription. This is what I did recently with HBO to get "Curb your Enthusiasm".

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The other question is will those companies allow their content to be listed alongside the content from other providers. We already see it eliminated on TiVos offered from cable companies where Netflix had to be removed.

From what I have read they are pushing for even more of a separate approach when it comes to Allvid. They seem to want a shopping mall experience where every store/content owners content is presented differently. Think of it like NBC content being presented like Hulu and then CBS like Amazon and then ABC like Netflix on the TiVo rather than the TiVo UI and TiVo search.

I would much rather have an experience like we have now with TiVo or to stick with the shopping comparison the experience you have when you go to Amazon.com.

17. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    The issue has always been provider versus subscriber. In naivete people think oh if only i could have a cable provider that only charged me for the things I want it would save money. unfortunately we see over and over adding all the pieces up will cost more than the bundle. In a perfect future universe this will be clear, but in the cable dominated world we live in alternative delivery mechanisms are just experiments, not really there yet.

At least in some small parts of the US FIOS has brought competition, but Internet TV options are only just babies trying to find their way.

Will the Interet eventually render cable obsolete? it seems logical, but it is not anywhere on the near term horizon. Just look at the Netflix price increase if you are a doubter.....

18. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    Obviously it depends on what show you view, but Hulu+ can be used as a relatively inexpensive way to avoid/reduce tuner conflicts. If you have issues where 3 shows are airing simultaneously and one (or more) is available via Hulu+, its much cheaper to subscribe than to get another TiVo.

Another advantage of Hulu+ is that you can easily wait on new shows to see if they are renewed for a 2nd season before watching.

19. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Really? Did you notice how many of the summer shows I listed were available on Hulu+ without a computer? Just in case you missed the 1st post it was 0 out of 15

Last year nearly all new shows were not available on Hulu+ unless you were using a computer so how does that become a third tuner?

My understanding is that more shows are going to be available next year on Hulu+ without a computer but that is still to be seen.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Netflix didn't really raise their prices. They changed their business model. They are hoping to become a streaming only service someday. This is a big step in that direction. How many people will be dumping their DVD plans? Only time will tell.....