Hulu live TV.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by man cave, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Mar 6, 2019 #1 of 22
    man cave

man cave Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Will TiVo ever get the updated app so you can get live Hulu TV?

2. Mar 6, 2019 #2 of 22
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    zero data either way, to my observation

Bigg and OrangeCrush like this.
  3. Mar 6, 2019 #3 of 22
    OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I wouldn't hold my breath

4. Mar 6, 2019 #4 of 22
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I can appreciate your desire for Hulu Live but I hope they never put that horrible interface for Hulu on TiVo. Just trying to pick up watching what you just watched is a multi step process and non intuitive. All these morons want to “suggest” programming rather than just let us look for what we want. Crap comes up on the main Hulu screen that I have never watched nor ever will on Hulu. Much of it very old.

5. Mar 6, 2019 #5 of 22
    hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    It supposedly tailors your feed, based on what you've watched previously, but it's not very accurate in that regard, in my experience. I have to laugh at some of the suggestions when I see "For fans of [xyz]", because the two shows often have absolutely nothing in common.

And maybe it's just me, but ABC programming seems to be suggested more often than other networks. Which is not surprising, but with Disney actively seeking to increase their ownership of Hulu, it's only likely to increase the bias.

6. Mar 6, 2019 #6 of 22
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Going left to right on the menu headers on the Hulu home screen, "Keep Watching" is always the second choice. Not that hard.

But I would agree that their UI, while aesthetically very nice, doesn't put enough choices on the screen at once, requiring too much vertical scrolling through lists. The typical rows of title tiles (like everyone else uses) would be better. And I would also agree that the very first menu choice, "Lineup," includes lots of recommendations that I don't care about and should be replaced.

Fortunately, it looks like they're preparing a slightly revamped UI to roll out soon that will address those issues.

Upcoming Hulu App Interface Changes Aim to Simplify Navigation and Aid Discoverability

7. Mar 6, 2019 #7 of 22
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is stupid. It wants to give me shows I have no interest in watching. What I was watching should be first. It keeps opening up in the Rookie which I have zero interest in. Based on what? Who knows.

Then some of the apps require a full screen to change shows.

It is a mess. The old interface is much cleaner and works better.

8. Mar 6, 2019 #8 of 22
    mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    The current/modern Hulu app is pretty bad. I just bought a Firestick 4k a couple weeks ago and it has the current Hulu app on it.

9. Mar 7, 2019 #9 of 22
    hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    While I like the interface overall (it did take some getting used to) I find "Line-up" to be totally useless. The Android version has "stop suggesting" as an option for individual shows in Line-up, but the Fire TV version doesn't. The feature is sort of useful, but it doesn't learn from it, so you keep seeing suggestions for shows you have no desire to watch.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If they start making the proposed Tivos on the Android platform, then we should get the latest version of Hulu.

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    If you haven't tried out Hulu Live get a hold of a recent streaming device, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV..give it a month and see if you like it.

12. mschnebly

mschnebly Active Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Personally I thought Hulu Live was one of the worst of the bunch for look and feel. YTTV and DTV Now seemed the most polished. The one thing about Hulu Live was that you also get all of the Hulu streaming content. But alone that's just $5.99/mo now.

13. hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    With a Live subscription, you can access to Hulu's regular on-demand library, yes. But you also get access to additional on-demand content from the Live networks. For example, if my Roamio OTA fails to record an episode of Big Baby Theory on CBS, I can watch it on Hulu. The same goes for shows on The CW, even though on-demand content was pulled from Hulu a couple of years ago. Try that with a regular Hulu subscription.

Sling, DTV Now, PSVue. Tried them all, except YouTube TV (no Fire TV support). They all have issues and shortcomings, including Hulu Live. But for what we use it for, Hulu Live has provided us with the best overall experience. I don't even bother with Live's DVR feature, because their on-demand content is so strong.

mschnebly likes this.
  14. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I like PSVue's interface the best beyond the stupid guide.

15. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Since Hulu is the subject; I just signed up for regular Hulu and my mini does not have Hulu on it and I can't see anyway to get it. It is on the Roamio. Their is no choice to add extra apps like on the Roamio. Their are other apps showing on the mini, choosing add an app asks for an IP address. Any ideas?

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TE3 or TE4? With TE3 the host controls the apps. With TE4 the apps are on the right side of the menu.
    TE4-Home.JPG
    TE4 ^

17. janitor53

janitor53 New Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I would love some updated apps. The streaming services would just be killer, DTV Now, YoutubeTV, etc.

18. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Yeah, I'd love to know the ~5 year strategic vision of TiVo.

19. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    TE3. It has been to TE4 and back to TE3, but that was a while ago.

The host has Hulu, it is selected and I have been using it.

The mini has no other issues, it can do on demand, watch live TV or watch recorded shows.

20. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    So would TiVo.

mschnebly and mrizzo80 like this.