Hulu just won't work on my Tivo Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by bmwbiker, Aug 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015

Advertisements

The mini is connected (wired) to my Roamio. Login is fine, menus work, but more than 50% of the time that I select a movie the movie title comes up then it either hangs as soon as the title splash screen exits or I often get audio but no video. FWIW my fireTV connected to the same switch runs Hulu just fine. If it does actually start it will hang eventually, which requires a power cycling the mini to recover.
    • Are people out there successfully running Hulu on their mini?
    • Are other people experiencing similar issues?
    • Any advice?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    One installation that I maintain, we finally just abandoned the TiVo devices and, initially, went to the existing AppleTV's. But subsequently, since the Xfinity VOD snafu, have moved most streaming to Roku Ultra's...

-KP

slowbiscuit likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  4. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
  5. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island

Advertisements

We ended up purchasing a Roku to do all our streaming. The Mini was just so frustrating and it just wasn't worth the aggravation! Thank goodness it has no trouble when watching live TV and our recordings.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  6. bmwbiker

bmwbiker Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I have made a considerable investment in my Roamio/Lifetime/mini home viewing. Being forced to abandon Comcast (not available at new address). I'm trying to figure out how to integrate OTA and streaming. On the surface it appeared the TIVO already had everything needed, but :(sigh:( doesn't look like the mini will stream reliably from anything but a TIVO box.

I didn't even install hulu it was already there under apps. They should be embarrassed for releasing such a dysfunctional interface.

7. adspguy

adspguy Member

Apr 30, 2002
    For what it's worth, it seems that the newer a95 model tivo mini vox units are supposed to play better with Hulu and Amazon prime streaming. Tivo will replace your older a92 or a93 tivo minis with the newer unit for $40 each. For most people this has worked great. For me, however, there is a current "system wide problem" which is making the a95 unit they sent me have no apps at all. This all sucks.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I agree 100%.... Not to long ago this problem didn't exist.. Streaming on the Mini was never super fast to start up but once it got going it very rarely buffered.

9. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    So you got them to sell you two A95's for $40 each? Wow! Did you have an extended warranty on them?

I have two original Mini A92's so I'd replace both of them for $80 if I could.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  10. BallJack

BallJack New Member

Nov 13, 2015
    How do you even do that?

11. adspguy

adspguy Member

Apr 30, 2002
    The "system wide problem" seems to have finally gone away and the replacement a95 mini vox is working great for hulu, amazon prime, etc.

In order to get them to replace the mini, I had to do a very long list of debug steps and finally managed to talk to a good support person who was able to do an RMA return of the a92 or a93 mini. Cost $39+tax. They took a deposit on the mini vox until I returned the old mini. It was a refurb a95 mini vox, with no accessories and I just needed to return the mini, no remote or supply.

They said they'd replace any of the a92/a93 units for $39, but I held off doing the others until I had an a95 working. SInce it is working now, I am going to replace my other minis. The previous agent I had talked to assured me that he put a note on the trouble ticket so when I call in to replace the other units, I wouldn't have to go through another debug process. I gave the ticket number when I called in. Well, that didn't work and now I am on the phone for almost an hour saying over and over, "yes we tried that before" so she could fill out a stupid debug flow chart. So, I can't say you'll have an easy time, but if you persevere you should be able to get it done.

On the phone with them now, talking to a script-reader and then escalating to a manager.... one painful hour and 20 minutes later ..... my two other mini's are getting rma'd.