Hughes to Hughes...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by blueice888, Mar 21, 2011.

1. blueice888

blueice888 New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Baton Rouge

Advertisements

Well my good old Hughes series 2 bit the bullet. I have another one that is the exact same model.

I know in the past the recordings were tied to the "chip" :confused: so you couldn't just swap the drives without doing a delete and erase everything.

I have some great shows on here.....is there any way I can slap it in the same unit and not lose my recordings? I hate to lose some great shows that I have had saved in there for a long time including our church this past Christmas.

Thanks....

2. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    How, exactly, did it die? What are the symptoms? Do you know if it is a hard drive problem? If so, you're probably screwed. You could try to copy the drive over to a new one, and there's a possibility you could save the recordings. Other than that, your only other hope is that the drive isn't dead at all and it's your power supply that died. In that case, you could just swap the power supplies between the two units and continue using your existing unit.

3. blueice888

blueice888 New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    It had the dreaded tuner 2 problem with pixelation problems and I decided to try my soldering skills at the capacitor fix and lets just say that didn't go so well....LOL.:rolleyes:

But no I know the drive is fine. I have not pulled the drive yet or swapped the card with DTV yet, but I thought the recordings were tied to the unit??

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, the recordings are tied to the motherboard in the box. But swapping power supplies is easy.

5. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA

Advertisements

I know that feeling with the tuner 2 problem I bought a used one from ebay, since my tivo was in black and white!

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did your attempt to fix the tuner problem damage something else on the unit?

Could you use TiVo desktop to copy the recordings to a computer and then copy them to another Tivo on your account (same Media Access Key)?

7. ss_sea_ya

ss_sea_ya New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    These are the DirecTV versions. They will have to learn how to do the software mod's to do that. IF they are at 6.4a instead of 6.2, might be more difficult, too. I plan to explore that someday, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

8. blueice888

blueice888 New Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Baton Rouge
    I have used the Zipper disc on this but it is still at 3.XX. Is there a way to upgrade to 6.4a without losing my recordings?

I am half tempted to just throw the drive in another Series 2 unit and do a clear and delete everything and be done with it. That or my father gave me an old HR10-250 which is fine by me because I don't use this with a high def TV anyway. Anyone aware of any problems the HR10-250 has?

9. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The only problem I know is that some have a bad HDMI output, but since you're not using a HDTV that should not be an issue.