Hughes SD-DVR40 Freezing/Rebooting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nycityuser, Nov 26, 2011.

1. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have two Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTivo units and one is having problems. It constantly reboots itself or freezes. When frozen I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in.

I'm thinking that my options are:

1) Ask DirecTv for a replacement and use their proprietary DVR
    2) Replace the hard drive (purchased from WeaKnees?)
    3) Buy a used DirecTivo online
    4) Send my unit to WeaKnees for repair.

What are the pros and cons of each?

If I buy a used unit online how do I get DirecTv to activate it?

I am not savvy/adventurous enough to buy a generic hard drive and load the appropriate software onto it. WeaKnees wants $130 for the cheapest hard drive replacement - their instructions for installations look ominous but I can give it a try.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1) Pros: Simple. Probably free. Cons: Lose existing recordings. Not Tivo.

2) Pros: Let's you keep your current Tivo. Cons: Lose existing recordings. Requires you to open up the Tivo and replace drive.

3) Pros: Let's you keep a Tivo, but not your current Tivo. Cons: Risky. DirecTV won't activate older non-RID Tivos on your account anymore. You lose your existing recordings.

4) Pros: Simple. They do all the work. You'll preserve your current recordings if Weaknees can recover them when they swap the drive. Cons: Expensive.

3. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow, thanks for all the info.

What is a non-RID Tivo? How would I know if I was purchasing one?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Newer DirecTV receivers have a "Receiver ID" number in addition to the serial number. This is referred to as RID.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Before you assume that only the hard drive is the problem and that the only problem is the hard drive, consider the possibility that capacitor failure has made your power supply flaky, which can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

6. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    So that would be an argument for just sending the entire unit to Weaknees for repair (flat rate of $149). That's where I'm leaning right now.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you've got more money than time, and no particular fondness for having the innards of electronic gear spread out across the table, or don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold, perhaps so.

Find out ahead of time if that covers shipping in either direction, if they will repair your power supply if necessary or just replace it (more expensive than soldering in a capacitor or 3), and if so, with a new or used unit, and if they can transfer your shows and settings to a new hard drive if you need a new hard drive, and what kind of deal will they make you on a bigger drive as long as you're replacing the drive if that's necessary.

Might as well go with a 1TB, with SATA/IDE adapter if necessary.

On the other hand if you're both adventurous and cheap, like us, we can advise you on DIY.

8. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    What's a soldering iron? :)

I'm not very technically inclined. And from WeaKnees the minimum cost of just purchasing a new hard drive is $129 while the flat fee repair is $149. The repair includes return shipping; I have to pay to ship it to them.

Upgrading the hard drive in conjunction with a repair starts at an additional $99. So, for example, for $248 they'll fix the unit and put in a 120 GB hard drive.

Fortunately for me the unit that is failing is my secondary unit. I don't mind losing what's on the drive currently, though if they can save it that's fine too. And I don't really need more space.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As far as I know weaknees can handle the job, and they know how much they need to charge to stay in business while not being undercut by the competition, so if you're comfortable with doing it that way I'll wish you many more happy years with your repaired TiVo.

And now if you'll excuse me, the thought of all that money you're going to have to spend has given me a case of the vapors and I'm going to have to go lie down and have someone fan my brow.:)

10. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I would not spend more than $20 to resurrect an SD-DVR40. I'd get a (non-TiVo) DirecTV DVR instead.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But then you wouldn't have a Tivo.

Which may be a deal breaker for some.

Now that I think of it, though, they might want to wait a little while and see if the new DirecTiVo actually comes out or not if they're going to throw that kind of money at the problem.

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    "little while" probably means 4-5 months for national availability. But yeah, spending over $100 to repair an SD-DVR40 when there's the (still unseen) DirecTV TiVo over the horizon seems wasteful to me.

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Just tell yourself it's their money and the economy needs stimulating.

14. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I kind of agree that it's a "waste" but it is what I'd need to do to keep TiVo. I don't want to upgrade to HD as it's not attached to an HD set, so the possibility of new HD DirecTivo (I'll believe it when I see it) isn't something that interests me. And it's in a 2nd home where I just want TiVo on my DirecTv. I have TiVo on all of my TVs, including standalone units with Verizon FIOS service on several sets. So to have one TV with a generic DVR would throw me off with all the other sets using TiVo.

15. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Ok - since those are your priorities, perfectly reasonable, then send the unit to Weaknees for repair.